[Suggestion] Home instance library - storage for books — Guild Wars 2 Forums

[Suggestion] Home instance library - storage for books

So many books! <3

As you all might have noticed, during the Living Story 3 and also with PoF stories, we got ourselves quite some amount of books.

Books take slots, we like keeping stuff that we can interact with so most people keep them in their bank or are even more attached to them like me and keep them in our inventory.
Which means that it can take up on a lot of space.

Let me store them at home, please!

What I'm trying to suggest here would solve this "wanna keep books, but they take up space" problem.

I'd like to have a library/bookshelves installed in my home instance where I could deposit and withdraw books.
It would be nice if we could also directly read the books, but that's just a tiny detail.
I really like books (currently reading one IRL too.. Sea of Sorrows if u ever heard of it ^_^) and I believe that this feature would be quite fitting and practical!

Examples of where the library/bookshelves could be in Grove home instance:

What do you guys think?

Cat with panda companion | Achievement hunter | Hoarder | Active on blue bird account.

"Elements are LOVE...
... being elementalist is LIFE!"

PvE: Soulbeast/Druid | WvW: Dps Weaver | PvP: Support Tempest | Fractals: Dps Chrono

Comments

• Soulentra.7180Soulentra.7180 Member ✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017

@lokh.2695 said:
    I support this. Either a personal library for the home instance or a shared library in the guildhall would be nice. The personal one would be better, mostly because ANet would have us pay 800g or something for a GH upgrade. ;)

I believe that since books are for personal achievments and you get each copy only once it should be in home instance rather than GH. But maybe other people could be allowed to read your books when you invite them to your instance, but not deposit/withdraw.

Make it a collection thing. Have us become apprentice librarians or something along those lines, have us get a few things, talk to some NPCs and get a bookshelf for our home instance as a reward.

Some quest/collection would be a good way for sure!
    Also talking about apprentice librerian, could this be maybe connected to Scribe profession? Like crafting some books for certain NPC or such.

Cat with panda companion | Achievement hunter | Hoarder | Active on blue bird account.

"Elements are LOVE...

PvE: Soulbeast/Druid | WvW: Dps Weaver | PvP: Support Tempest | Fractals: Dps Chrono

• Before creating bookshelves I would like if they first update the interface for reading them. Reading a book 3 lines at a time is distracting and annoying.
    Maybe if books are added in the hero panel like the personal story.

On my way to discover the max level.

Current:

Warning Level 3

You are jailed.

• Can't post discussions.
    • Can't post as often.
    • Signature hidden.
  • Rai.1084Rai.1084 Member
    edited December 4, 2017

or make it something like a bookkey or a librarypass. like they combined the living season portal scrolls too right?
    so you could put it together into 1 item

on 2nd thought... can also put them into the huge library we had to visit and search through anyways, cant remember which episode that was, but something to tp you into that instance like a 2nd aurene portal stone? idk, I loved that map, altho it was annoying with the achivement to find everything.

• @Rai.1084 said:
    on 2nd thought... can also put them into the huge library we had to visit and search through anyways, cant remember which episode that was, but something to tp you into that instance like a 2nd aurene portal stone? idk, I loved that map, altho it was annoying with the achivement to find everything.

Oh, I'd love to be able to visit that giant library anytime I want!

"Elements are LOVE...

• Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭

I trashed everything because space.
    But i wouldn't mind a library where to consult whatever i did unlock untill now.

• DearlyMe.5320DearlyMe.5320 Member ✭✭✭

Yes! They contain information I don't want to destroy, but they're indeed taking up bank and inventory slots. I love collecting and reading game books, I keep one of all the Skyrim books, too.

Mains :: Gwenyna (Sylvari Chronomancer) and Nyniendha (Sylvari Reaper)
    7 Sylvari | 7 Asura | 3 Norn | 3 Human | 4 Charr
    https://dearlyme.tumblr.com/

• Rivian.8435Rivian.8435 Member
    edited January 11, 2018

Yes, please! We really need a book storage function. I'm feeling real pressure at the moment to delete in-game books which contain lore I don't want to lose. I'm sure the devs who made the content also don't want players deleting it. I may have deleted some already. Nooo! Please implement bookshelves or a librarian npc in our home instance so we can safely store these items which also require effort on the part of the players to collect. Thank you. :)

• Nanunu.1403Nanunu.1403 Member ✭✭

I support this. Every sentient being needs a bookshelf.

• Talindra.4958Talindra.4958 Member ✭✭✭✭

I love books!!! Sadly I had to delete them bcos I didn't hv space to store them :(

Death is Energy [DIE] in EU
    Envoy's Herald, CoZ, VitV, DD, SS, The Eternal, LNHB, Champion Magus, Champion Phantom, Wondrous Achiever etc.

• +1 - Need this. I actually spent hundreds and hundreds of hours collecting books on another Mmo I won't mention in order to create a home in which people could visit my vast library of exceedingly rare books. This may not be as expansive but I would very much like to have proper storage for the lore I collect.

• Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭

Yes please!

• @Soulentra.7180 said:

What do you guys think?

Great suggestion

• Taylan.2187Taylan.2187 Member ✭✭

Bumping this for the sole purpose of saying yes please. I don't want to destroy those books to free up space. That just seems wrong. But I'm sure as hell not buying more inventory or bank space just to keep them around either.

Please solve this, Anet!

• starhunter.6015starhunter.6015 Member ✭✭✭

I second this, I made a Librarian account to store all the books on for now, but would rather enjoy a home instance bookshelf.

• Yes , please! This feature would be so great, I've got tons of books already which I don't want to just thrash out.

• Actually, just been to Sun's Refuge and found a bookshelf on the east side of the refuge! This holds quite a few of my books already, you guys should check it out too!

• +1 I would absolutely love this, I'm keeping all my books on an alt at the moment and would be amazing to have them organized on shelves! Please Anet, consider this.

• I think I'd prefer to have a "Books" section added to the novelty wardrobe. You could store infinite amounts of them there, have access to them on the go, and maybe they could even turn it into an animation where if you are reading a book, your character has an open book in their hands. But regardless, I like the idea of doing SOME kind of storage for the books, because I love to keep them...but I hate having to use up space for them.

• Etria.3642Etria.3642 Member ✭✭✭✭

@shovelend.8794 said:
    Actually, just been to Sun's Refuge and found a bookshelf on the east side of the refuge! This holds quite a few of my books already, you guys should check it out too!

The books it holds are all the ones found for a quest. Sadly you cannot add any others to it--and it doesn't even have a nice interface to select the ones you want, either, should you want to read them.

• This is an amazing idea. I don't want to delete the books in my bags or throw them out, but bag space is prime real estate. I genuinely wish there was a home instance library, or as mentioned a library card that they could be condensed into once completed.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

Maybe they’re holding off until player housing? They could always do something like the library at the Astralarium.

• Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

I, too, love books, and have kept all the once I collected. I'd absolutely love to have a home instance library. And I agreed every other time this topic has come up (it's been several times already).

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn

Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

• Cronospere.8143Cronospere.8143 Member ✭✭✭

Some amazing ideas in this thread. A highly requested feature, hopefully the devs will consider this. With multiple ingame trials (Astralarium, suns refuge) i still have my hopes on "soon"

• Daddicus.6128Daddicus.6128 Member ✭✭✭✭

ANet, don't read this (it might make you think you can make more money selling character slots):

I have a whole character who does nothing but carry all my books around.

• Wolfey.3407Wolfey.3407 Member ✭✭

A very cute idea I love it :D Would be great to re-read some of those books I've collected.
    Just hope anet doesn't make it a gem store item if they do decide to add it ._.

• Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭

Wow. This thread is nearly 2 years old and it's only up to one page.

The necromancy is impressive... but this would still be a really nice feature to have.

• This will be a really nice QoL feature

• Tarlonniel.6534Tarlonniel.6534 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2019

A bookshelf would be amazing. Even more amazing if it were not just for the books sitting in my bank, but any book we found out in Tyria could have a copy show up there - the Astralarium ones, the Durmand Priory ones, the Jahai Bluffs collection, etc.

• mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Wolfey.3407 said:
    A very cute idea I love it :D Would be great to re-read some of those books I've collected.

Here's what I would pay money for:
    My Home instance gets an empty book case. Ever book I have already collected shows up. Any I have missed are represented with blank spaces. If I click the book I can read it again at my leisure. If I click the blank spot I am given a clue to it's location.
    As I fill in more books, the book case becomes more impressive, undergoing an upgrade in appearance (in keeping with the decor of the home instance's location) maybe 3 or 4 upgrades as the bookshelves become more and more full.
    Tie three titles in with acheivements
    1-50 Books collected "Bookworm"
    50-150: "Book Collector"
    150-???: "Grand Historian"
    Add 20-30 new books to the game in locations all over the map filled with decent fun lore we can speculate on.
    Ensure any new books that come in future maps get added to this system.

I would gladly pay 1000 gems for this. It's much more meaningful to me than a few mount skins. It's the kind of thing that would get me to happily go back and revisit old content and really give me hours of distraction.

TLDR: Make it gemstore, but make it shiny af.

• Wolfey.3407Wolfey.3407 Member ✭✭

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Wolfey.3407 said:

Here's what I would pay money for:
    My Home instance gets an empty book case. Ever book I have already collected shows up. Any I have missed are represented with blank spaces. If I click the book I can read it again at my leisure. If I click the blank spot I am given a clue to it's location.
    As I fill in more books, the book case becomes more impressive, undergoing an upgrade in appearance (in keeping with the decor of the home instance's location) maybe 3 or 4 upgrades as the bookshelves become more and more full.
    Tie three titles in with acheivements
    1-50 Books collected "Bookworm"
    50-150: "Book Collector"
    150-???: "Grand Historian"
    Add 20-30 new books to the game in locations all over the map filled with decent fun lore we can speculate on.
    Ensure any new books that come in future maps get added to this system.

I would gladly pay 1000 gems for this. It's much more meaningful to me than a few mount skins. It's the kind of thing that would get me to happily go back and revisit old content and really give me hours of distraction.

TLDR: Make it gemstore, but make it shiny af.

gem store and shiny af i think is the problem...
    I don't think the title portion would happen since it would be tied to a gemstore item. I don't think or remember anet making achievements gemstored mandated.
    I do like you idea of progressing the library and adding more to it.

What's meaningful for one person is not meaningful for another.
    so 1,000 gems for a bookshelf may be nothing whats so ever for you, but for someone else they would rather spend it on something they can show off.

Not trying to bash you or anything, please don't take it in that manner.
    I agree with a few of your points but I think some of the other points should be reworked if they would be implemented.

:)

• SkyFallsInThunder.8257SkyFallsInThunder.8257 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2019

This would be amazing! And I would get to clear my naughty librarian's inventory of books.

https://ibb.co/NZNmpLw

• mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Wolfey.3407 said:
    gem store and shiny af i think is the problem...

Why?
    Because you dont want to pay for it?
    That's not a problem. That's your preference. It's only a problem if not enough people will pay for it to cover the cost of creation and implementation and I am sorry but you don't know if that would be the case or not.

I don't think the title portion would happen since it would be tied to a gemstore item. I don't think or remember anet making achievements gemstored mandated.

Really? Don't BL Weapon skins carry with them AP for collecting them?
    Don't the mini skyscales that drop only from the BL Chests give AP for collecting them all?
    The line you are drawing is arbitrary

What's meaningful for one person is not meaningful for another.
    so 1,000 gems for a bookshelf may be nothing whats so ever for you, but for someone else they would rather spend it on something they can show off.

These players have plenty of options. A new option every week or so.
    Someone at Arenanet is doing things like creating the Hunter Boards, or the Garden Plots. These aren't about showing off. Should they stop because people can't pull them out in Lion's Arch?

While I take absolutely not offense to your post, I find it myopic.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.