Second weapon setup as power Reaper?

leasm.1279

I'm having a hard time choosing a second weapon set for my power Reaper.

I use axe+dagger as main, which is a good ranged setup. Then I go into shroud for melee. And as secondary weapons I can't find anything that fits my playstyle (I play PvE only).

Greatsword competes with shroud for melee.Scepter is pretty bad for power.Staff is way too weird.

So I end up using dagger+focus, which at least has some ranged power skills. Then I use them against champions for some extra ranged attacks, when it's too risky to go into melee.. and quickly go back to axe.

What you guys use in PvE as power Reaper?

Staff, when facing multiple enemies(Meta events)Sword doesn't really compete with Reaper. You forget that skills have CD. You can use your sword, then go into shroud and after that you should swap to your 2nd weapon set. At some point you will know when your skills are about to be off cd. Cycling between weapon sets and Shroud is working in your favor ;)You can also use Dagger/x if you like it.All depend on your preferred play stile and partially on the current encounter.

Greatsword is the highest damage weapon for a power reaper general use. Works the best to mow down waves of enemies, and once you bring a boss HP under 50% you can spam skill 2 until it dies if you are feeling lazy.

Axe offers the highest single target damage and can easily keep lots of constant vulnerability in any enemy for 25% extra damage.

Daggers do a bit more damage if you'll be facing weaker enemies in pairs, and give a bit of extra self-healing.

Focus comes in handy against enemies that give themselves boons, like when fighting karka and their pesky retaliation.

Offhand dagger or staff may be needed in areas with heavy condition spam.

Warhorn works well to help you break defiance bars.

If you wanna maintain constant ranged pressure then why pair war horn with axe? The best weapon to pair war horn with (power wise at least) is dagger as you can have war horn 5 active while you are attacking with dagger plus the range with which you need to attack with dagger also makes war horn 4 very viable. Personally I find focus to be the best offhand paired with axe. It allows you to begin combat by chilling your foes (even if they don't have boons) with 5, apply vul with 4 and as they start creeping towards you, you pile up vul and as many axe 2s as you can while they're closing the distance. If they get close enough use axe 3 to slow them down again and switch to your melee weapon set (in my case, Greatsword). The good thing about axe 3 is it finishes off trash mobs that are at 25% health or less and you can focus on more healthier (or hardier) targets.

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:

• Greatsword is the highest damage weapon for a power reaper general use. Works the best to mow down waves of enemies, and once you bring a boss HP under 50% you can spam skill 2 until it dies if you are feeling lazy.
  • Axe offers the highest single target damage and can easily keep lots of constant vulnerability in any enemy for 25% extra damage.
  • Daggers do a bit more damage if you'll be facing weaker enemies in pairs, and give a bit of extra self-healing.
  • Focus comes in handy against enemies that give themselves boons, like when fighting karka and their pesky retaliation.
  • Offhand dagger or staff may be needed in areas with heavy condition spam.
  • Warhorn works well to help you break defiance bars.

Is Axe really best single target over Dagger and GS?

@Kam.4092 said:

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:
  • Greatsword is the highest damage weapon for a power reaper general use. Works the best to mow down waves of enemies, and once you bring a boss HP under 50% you can spam skill 2 until it dies if you are feeling lazy.
  • Axe offers the highest single target damage and can easily keep lots of constant vulnerability in any enemy for 25% extra damage.
  • Daggers do a bit more damage if you'll be facing weaker enemies in pairs, and give a bit of extra self-healing.
  • Focus comes in handy against enemies that give themselves boons, like when fighting karka and their pesky retaliation.
  • Offhand dagger or staff may be needed in areas with heavy condition spam.
  • Warhorn works well to help you break defiance bars.

Is Axe really best single target over Dagger and GS?

Well, at range it certainly is. It also has stronger burst than either Dagger or Greatsword. Sustained DPS, the melee weapons both beat it.

@leasm.1279 said:What you guys use in PvE as power Reaper?

Recently I'm running Greatsword + Axe/Dagger as it offer damage, survivability and tagging (open world).I mainly run Axe/Dagger to gain cruelty stack, to use Ghastly Claws before enter shroud/swapping back to Greatsword and to AoE bomb low health mob with Unholy Feast. Wells are good to drop mob's health under 25% health.

Hey guys. thanks for all the comments.

My character is full berserker, so I always try to stay at range and charge in only using shroud. Shroud itself is always enough to clear any amount of enemies, so in fact I never felt the need to leave shroud and stay in melee. And that's why I never considered using Greatsword.

The exception is against champions/bosses, and in this case I want to stay at range at all times. I only charge in during stun windows. So, the usual scenario I find myself is: my axe+dagger is in cooldown, I don't want to charge in, and I miss another ranged weapon to switch.

That's why I'm having a hard time choosing another power ranged weapon. Probably because there isn't one :)

But with all that said, I'll follow your guys tips, and try using a Greatsword more often. Will try fitting it into my rotations. Not ranged, but seems powerful, and that's what we get anyway.

@leasm.1279 said:Hey guys. thanks for all the comments.

My character is full berserker, so I always try to stay at range and charge in only using shroud. Shroud itself is always enough to clear any amount of enemies, so in fact I never felt the need to leave shroud and stay in melee. And that's why I never considered using Greatsword.

The exception is against champions, and in this case I want to stay at range at all times. I only charge in during stun windows. So, the susual scenario is: my axe+dagger is in cooldown, I don't want to charge in, and I feel lacking another ranged weapon to switch.

That's why I'm having a hard time choosing another power ranged weapon. Probably because there isn't one :)

With all that said, I'll follow your guys tips, and try using a Greatsword more often. No ranged, but seems powerful.

Note that Nightfall has a pulsing blind field that can help you survive.

@Kam.4092 said:[...]Is Axe really best single target over Dagger and GS?

As long as there's no one else giving vulnerability to enemies and might to allies, if you bring Spite you will have Siphoned Power. And axe gets the most continuous hits, so it will both keep lots of vulnerability on the enemy and lots of might on you.

You don't need those when your party brings the vulnerability and might, so it's more like "best solo single target".

It is also the best option if you are going to need to move away from the target and move around a lot. No point on having a melee weapon that can do more DPS if you can't stand next to the enemy to do any DPS at all.

• 3 weeks later...

@R E F L H E X.8413 said:see with celestial power scepter wasnt that bad as secondary you had a balance of condi/power on that amulet as well as crit so scepter 3 wasnt bad as a secondary on power and the auto wasnt bad due to having condi/power balance.

scepter 3 has been changed from %more damage per condi if I remember it right into torment per condi.

Archived