Whats the point in playing Thief when you can play Warrior?

Joshewwah.2956

Warrior is used more often in all game modes (raids/spvp/wvw/fractals) than Thief. Warrior hits just as hard and is more naturally tankier than Thief. The new Spellbreaker's giant bubble ability is OP in wvw, providing so much immunity in a large range. Thiefs cant even do that. Is there a reason to play Thief at all, besides roaming solo in wvw?

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Crossaber.8934 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:My reasons areInitiative, Pistols, Bows, Rifle, Daggers.

Warrior only have 2 of those things.

I think you missed to list one of the most important element as well:

STEALTH

I didn't as I wasn't sure if they had some form of a stealth or not... lol.But yeah, stealth is amazing!

A stealthing Warrior? shudders

@Wandering Mist.2973 said:

@Crossaber.8934 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:My reasons areInitiative, Pistols, Bows, Rifle, Daggers.

Warrior only have 2 of those things.

I think you missed to list one of the most important element as well:

STEALTH

I didn't as I wasn't sure if they had some form of a stealth or not... lol.But yeah, stealth is amazing!

A stealthing Warrior?
shudders

Be careful what you wish for. There's a vid about people asks ANet if guard will ever have stealth and 1-2 years later it becomes a reality with trap runes.

• 1 month later...

Staff thief does crazy effective damage in pve, it's a class that literally doesn't lose much dps when it dodges or needs evade frames. As for pvp, I'm going to assume you don't play it as it doesn't apply to your question. WvW thief is a decent class when faced with 1-5 man groups, bigger than that and it works, but I agree a different class would likely be better. I've mained thief and ele since launch, my other two classes with the most hours on them would be guard and war. Thief definitely has a place in this game

sorry but your clueless.

rogues does a lot more burst with instah kill builds.Its also supermobile , if a rogue don't want to be killed it wont.

thief role is decap +1 meaning he capture bases and assist fights rather than been a bruiser.

Good ones are beatable only by a mesmers but play a thief at full potential is really hard.

Warriors aint that great anymore , having sustain 2 big nerfs lately.

Well, thieves are cooler. That's one thing.

Disclaimer: This comment features humor and is not meant to be taken offensively. If you experience any signs of emotional instability such as rising blood pressure, blurred vision, teary eyes, dry mouth, stomach or chest pain, please stop reading this post and contact your local maternal care professional.

In B4 questions: idk, I'm having one of "those days."

@"Dahkeus.8243" said:Well, from a sPvP perspective, a thief plays an entirely different role. Warriors are generally bruisers or strong 1v1 fighters, whereas thieves are high mobility rockers who decap undefended nodes and +1 ongoing fights.

Now, the decap is true, but come on...+1 is not a role. Every class can do that. It's just a stupid way to say "Oh it's not that you're a bad fighter... Afterall, you can help me out!" as if your gank-contribution is worth more than others.

To answer the OP:If you're looking to be the Meta, there isn't one.

But you can still try to have fun with it, as it's pretty cool.

@Loading.4503 said:I feel like this question is the same if I was to say “What’s the point in playing soccer when u can play basketball? There’s still a ball.”

While soccer and basketball each have their merits, GW2 is full of worthless flavor bloat. There was a reason why this game at launch only saw meta PvE groups running 3 classes in all content, and why 4ele/1mesmer or thief was king of PvP. Arbitrarily buffing everyone's damage doesn't change the fact that this game was built on bloat.

@TwiceDead.1963 said:

@"Dahkeus.8243" said:Well, from a sPvP perspective, a thief plays an entirely different role. Warriors are generally bruisers or strong 1v1 fighters, whereas thieves are high mobility rockers who decap undefended nodes and +1 ongoing fights.

Now, the decap is true, but come on...
+1 is not a role.
Every class can do that. It's just a stupid way to say
"Oh it's not that you're a bad fighter... Afterall, you can help me out!"
as if your gank-contribution is worth more than others.

To answer the OP:If you're looking to be
the Meta
, there isn't one.

Every class can +1, but not every class should. Some classes are better pushing to a new point and bunkering down to either win a 1v1 or wait for a +1 (such as druids or warriors).

The high mobility and burst of thieves is what makes them superior at this. They can get to a small fight and drop burst before the enemy has much chance to react and then rotate to another point in the time it takes most classes to just travel to the point.

@Joshewwah.2956 said:Warrior is used more often in all game modes (raids/spvp/wvw/fractals) than Thief. Warrior hits just as hard and is more naturally tankier than Thief. The new Spellbreaker's giant bubble ability is OP in wvw, providing so much immunity in a large range. Thiefs cant even do that. Is there a reason to play Thief at all, besides roaming solo in wvw?

I don't know anything about pvp or wvw but in Fractals, Thief brings amazing CC with basilisk venom, higher damage than Warrior, evasiveness and greater survivability, smoke screen for ranged attacks, blinds, with shortbow they can render a group of trash mobs completely useless with choking gas, if power they have tons of AoE damage with vault and dodging even condi has good AoE. The only reason Warrior exists in anything PvE right now is banners

Because you like playing a Thief. This is not LoL where you MUST PLAY THIS CLASS MID! This is an open world fantasy game. Play whatever you like. If you are playing with people who say "Dont play this, play this it has more dps" then dont play with those people. If you search forums for reason to play a certain class you are asking for it. Go immerse yourself in the game and have fun.

@Dahkeus.8243 said:

@Dahkeus.8243 said:Well, from a sPvP perspective, a thief plays an entirely different role. Warriors are generally bruisers or strong 1v1 fighters, whereas thieves are high mobility rockers who decap undefended nodes and +1 ongoing fights.

+1 is not a role.

the Meta
, there isn't one.

Every class
can
+1, but not every class should. Some classes are better pushing to a new point and bunkering down to either win a 1v1 or wait for a +1 (such as druids or warriors).

The high mobility and burst of thieves is what makes them superior at this. They can get to a small fight and drop burst before the enemy has much chance to react and then rotate to another point in the time it takes most classes to just travel to the point.

It's not that Thieves can +1, it's that they have to, it's been that way ever since Anet arbitrarily decided that's going to be their only role(pff).Other classes have the choice to bunker up, push points or pick fights, but thieves do not have the luxury of staying power as other classes, there's simply way too many passive defenses and AoE burst being flung around, and unlike the other classes, thieves cannot sustain that kind of bombardment. The thing about dropping burst might've been true pre-HOT, but ever since the powercreep that washed over the game like a tidal-wave, every class has the same if not more burst potential... Outliers being Ranger.

@TwiceDead.1963 said:

@Dahkeus.8243 said:Well, from a sPvP perspective, a thief plays an entirely different role. Warriors are generally bruisers or strong 1v1 fighters, whereas thieves are high mobility rockers who decap undefended nodes and +1 ongoing fights.

+1 is not a role.

the Meta
, there isn't one.

Every class
can
+1, but not every class should. Some classes are better pushing to a new point and bunkering down to either win a 1v1 or wait for a +1 (such as druids or warriors).

It's not that Thieves
can
+1, it's that they
have to
, it's been that way ever since Anet arbitrarily decided that's going to be their only role
(pff)
.Other classes have the choice to bunker up, push points or pick fights, but thieves do not have the luxury of staying power as other classes, there's simply way too many passive defenses and AoE burst being flung around, and unlike the other classes, thieves cannot sustain that kind of bombardment. The thing about dropping burst might've been true pre-HOT, but ever since the powercreep that washed over the game like a tidal-wave, every class has the same if not more burst potential... Outliers being Ranger.

Well of course. Thieves aren’t supposed to be good at everything. You don’t get to have the tankiness of a brawler/bunker builds while also being able to fly around the map with unlimited teleports and stealth.

@Joshewwah.2956 said:Warrior is used more often in all game modes (raids/spvp/wvw/fractals) than Thief. Warrior hits just as hard and is more naturally tankier than Thief. The new Spellbreaker's giant bubble ability is OP in wvw, providing so much immunity in a large range. Thiefs cant even do that. Is there a reason to play Thief at all, besides roaming solo in wvw?

almost unhindered and unmatched mobility, high spike damage, and stealth. Warriors are more for in your face gameplay where thieves play a huge role in zoning in on high priority (i.g. weaker, low health) targets and using mobility to gain an advantage (i.g. decapping/capping uncontested nodes, taking out a fleeing enemy).

Archived