New to Guardian

AliamRationem.5172

Hi! I really have no idea what I'm looking at here. I don't have DH or FB unlocked yet and I just tome-leveled to 80! So here's my initial concept for core guardian open world build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR5enkICFChlCBWDB8Dhj7hqWABQ6azg2tQvv7huDA-jxBBABnpEsm9HwS53nq/EwTAAgLCgi6GIEggxA-e

My thinking is I can have similar power and crit damage to full zerk, but with armor in the 3-3.5k range and 80-100% crit rate with this build. I should be able to generate a good amount of might to further boost damage as well. Or is this just a fail plan I should be rethinking?

In trying to keep with your original idea, this would be my suggestion: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR5enkICFChlCBWDB8Dhj7hqWABQ6azg2tQvv7huDA-jxBBABnpEsm9HwS53nq/EwTAAgLCgi6GIEggxA-e

This build relies on keeping retaliation up for as long as possible which is why I switched your utilities around as well. Getting PvE enemies into Hallowed Ground shouldn't be too troublesome with a Greatsword. When you get into combat use GS skills 5, 4, then 2. Drop Hallowed ground at your feet and swap to the sword (Mace is pretty here bad all things considered) and use skill two to get your fury bonus and then auto attack and use shield four when it looks like you're about lose retaliation. until you can swap weapons again. On weapon swap, repeat the steps from the beginning until everything is dead. Wrathful spirit has no internal CD, so you could technically keep Retreat over Stand Your Ground if you want. It's kind of down to preference. Aside from that, everything looks good to me. I've even used a similar build in the past.

I advise you doing this:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR5el0AhChYpQwZIQQEHxDltEy3INnivYMWDgGoeB-jhBBAB5pb4MlgB8EAwa/R5HAXEgLV/hUARMGA-e

• Instead of Cavalier, use Valkyr Armor. It gives the same Power and Ferocity as Berzerk, so you don't miss out on damage and gain some survivability via Health.
  • Also weapons should be berzerk so you can get a bit more precision, you don't really need it if you rotate perfectly, but well, best be safe. If you want a bit more survivability, switch with Valkyr if you want to maximize damage, or Soldier if you want a bit extra toughness.
  • I'd switch mace with scepter or sword, but didn't change that.
  • Foods should be Sweet and Spicy Bowl of Butternut squash soup, and Tin of fruitcake.
  • I prefer the Signet heal for passive condi cleanse and that has a bigger heal, but you can switch that around.
  • I take Purging flames for easier application of burning (which gives extra damage), but you can switch that around (Hallowed ground for example is a great alternative). Keep "Feel my wrath" for the quickness and fury.
  • Runes of the scholar FTW
  • Last trait line is best with Virtues (works more in favour of increasing your damage output than Valor).

Now traits explained:

• ZEAL: Fiery Wrath= 7% damage multiplier; Zealous blade is mandatory with GS; and finaly Simbolic Avenger for damage multiplier on Symbols.
  • RADIANCE: This line is what you had... IT's all about getting retaliation up so that you get those 100% crit chance with minimal precision. IF the enemy is burning and you have retaliation you'll be in the 100% with berzerker weapons. IF you have fury you'll surpass that. And notice that with Valkyr, you have the same Ferocity as berzerker, which means max damage applied (with some extra multipliers below)
  • VIRTUES: Indomitable Courage will allow you to have a nice Aegis uptime, couple it with Unscathed Contender and you get 20% more damage. Absolute Resolution Allows you to use Virtue of Resolve to condi cleanse, and heal, triggering Virtue of Retribution and Inspired Virtue granting you Retaliation and Regen.

Rotation:I'd drop Cleansing flames, Use Fell my wrath, Use Binding Blade to pull enemies onto cleansing flames, then drop Symbol of Wrath, and wail at them with Whirling wrath. Do the auto-attack sequence, use Retreat to padd your Aegis uptime, and Switch to other weapon, drop symbol, auto-attack, use shield 4 to keep aegis up, and switch back to GS and repeat.

Archived