The Guild Wars and the knowledge about the gods

KuroiShin.2504

I'm trying to figure it out some key aspects in GW lore, more specifically about The Guild Wars. I'm talking about the Guild Wars Prophecies, 1070 AE, at the end of the Guild Wars.

Here is what I got about it so far (please correct me if I'm mistaken about something):

• The Guild Wars started about a 100 years after the Exodus. A volcano erupted scatering the Bloodstones and releasing magic into world again
  • The guilds started fighting each other because of the Bloodstones, pulling the 3 human kingdoms (Ascalon, Kryta and Orr) into war for centuries;
  • The wars ended with the Charr invasion of Ascalon in 1070 AE

Here is what I'm trying to understand:

• In 1070 AE there were Five gods, Abaddon was erased from history (mostly) and there was no knowledge of him by the first GW game. Ok, but did the humans know about what started the Guild Wars?
  • If humans knew about what started the Guild Wars they also had knowledge about the Bloodstones right?
  • If humans knew about the Bloodstones did they know the history of the Exodus as well? I mean, did they had knowledge about the battle between the Six and the creation of the Bloodstones to seal magic? Or maybe they were just aware the Five sealed magic within the Bloodstones to save the humans?
  • I'm inferring that at that time (1070 AE), humans did not know about Abaddon giving humans magic, am I correct?

I'm sorry if I'm too far off but it is a great story and knowing the details is what makes it even better :)

You can probably answer a lot of these by chasing up the Prophecies Manuscripts, since that's an in-universe document that pretty much lays out what humans believed, but to answer your questions directly:

1) They knew that the Bloodstones having been hurled into the world, and the ambitions of some to claim them, was a contributing factor in the Guild Wars.2) They most definitely knew about the Bloodstones. The Bloodstones were basically their explanation as to why magic behaved the way it did, including being split (in those days) into four primary divisions.3) They did not know about Abaddon. The official human history, before Nightfall, was that the gods split the Bloodstones, and thereby split magic, at Doric's behest (true), but the battle between Abaddon and the other gods was completely erased from the official histories. Instead, the official histories claimed that the gods simply left because they had finished their work on Tyria and they were moving on to work on other worlds elsewhere.4) They did not - it was believed to be a joint effort between the Five. (The truth seems to be that it genuinely was a joint effort, but that Abaddon was far too generous while the others were much more restrained, primarily giving magic to those they thought were worthy.)

It's worth noting that there wasn't constant fighting between Ascalon and Kryta from the eruption and the charr invasion - there were three "Guild Wars" with periods of peace between them. I don't recall the precise dates off the top of my head, but I think the first was right after the eruption, the third was ended by the charr invasion, and the second ended within a century of the third starting up.

1. "Centuries" later was when the Bloodstones were flung out of the volcano. We don't have an actual start date for the First Guild War, just that it was after this event.

2. That was one of the contributing factors, but there was also economical and political strife involved. The Guild Wars are basically capitalism leading into privately sponsored wars.

3. Yes.

4. Yes, because humans started the Guild Wars themselves. As to what they knew: Abaddon never had a direct role in making the Bloodstone so those were full knowledge under the idea that the gods created them to seal magic back away rather than having found them, unleashed magic from them, then resealed magic in them. What wasn't knowledge was why the Crystal Sea turned into a desert, and which god gifted the most magic to mortals (Abaddon being the cause of both, directly or indirectly). It seems most but not all knowledge of Margonites pre-Exodus (who were at the time a sea-faring nation of humans) was also erased, as some scholars believed Margonite relics to be Luxon (which were another sea-faring nation of humans, but in a wholly different location).

5. Yes. They knew what they did, where they were placed, but not where they came from.

6. They knew the creation of the desert, they knew the "creation" of the Bloodstone, and that the gods gifted magic which started wars leading to the prior to. Anything directly involving Abaddon was replaced with generic "the gods did it" for the most part.

7. They didn't know. It was a general "the gods gifted magic" with no god specified.

The links here would likely interest you as it seems you're interested in what is effectively the GW1 view of lore (a lot of which has been retconned for GW2, sadly).

@KuroiShin.2504 said:

• In 1070 AE there were Five gods, Abaddon was erased from history (mostly) and there was no knowledge of him by the first GW game. Ok, but did the humans know >about what started the Guild Wars?There were six gods, humans knew about the Door of Komalie, which leads directly to the Foundry of Failed Creations, and the area being named Abaddon's Mouth is a strong indication that he was known. I think it was more of a we don't rever him in any way, but he is part of the pantheon.The Flameseeker Prophecies specifically mention the door of Komalie, if not by name, and the need to keep it closed.

What Amanda said. Just because you live near Pikes Peak doesn't mean you necessarily know who Zebulon Pike was, and what the other five gods did was erase any records that you could conveniently look up the name in.

As for the Door, they knew it existed, they knew more or less where it was located, but all they knew about what was behind it was that it was 'the power to destroy both good and evil'. When it first comes up in the Prophecies campaign, the allies you have with you treat it like a vault holding a powerful weapon or magic, not a portal to hell.

@Amanda Whitemoon.6173 said:i dont think humans knew about abaddon, Abaddon's Mouth was just a volcano in their eyes.

I believe that as well, as @draxynnic.3719 and @"Konig Des Todes.2086" pointed out. Humans knew their history but with some generic concepts about what the gods did and what they did not and of course, who they were.

I mean, we're still learning new information about the gods ourselves and I find that "rediscovery" of the history of Tyria amazing...who knows what else we'll find :)

Archived