Daybreak, Hero of Ishtan (Spoiler)

narcx.3570

So, when the commander enacts their plan to ...

! break out of prison, the method of escape seems to be different for every class... I was just wondering if we can compile a list of what every class does so curious people don't have to do the story nine times. I'll start:

! Revenants channel the power of Legendary Prisoner Joko from the Mists to explode the door off of the cell. Which I found pretty funny, but also a bit of a spoiler since at this point in the story we still thought Joko was being impersonated by somebody else, but now we have advanced knowledge of his sick prison break skills.

Revenant: Channels the power of the Legendary Prisoner Palawa Joko to escape the cell.Ranger: Uses part of a skeleton as a summoning horn and calls insects to open the lock.Warrior: Channels his or her rage and punches through the bars.Guardian: Uses a Hammer of Wisdom to smash their way out.Elementalist: Conjures a Flame Axe to melt the bars.Mesmer: Teleports out.Thief: Picks the lock.Engineer: MacGyvers their way out of the cell.Necromancer: Summons a Flesh Wurm to burrow their way out of the cell.

I'm pretty sure that's all of them.

@Amanda Whitemoon.6173 said:does this maybe mean we gonna kill Joko and he will be the new Revenant elite forthe next expansion?

Obviously, we can't rule anything out... But I think it's just a throw away joke about Joko breaking out of prison too. Plus, I mean, teeeechnically, Joko was a dead guy in The Mists, which meets the Revenant's criteria.

@narcx.3570 said:

@Amanda Whitemoon.6173 said:does this maybe mean we gonna kill Joko and he will be the new Revenant elite forthe next expansion?

Obviously, we can't rule anything out... But I think it's just a throw away joke about Joko breaking out of prison too. Plus, I mean, teeeechnically, Joko
was
a dead guy in The Mists, which meets the Revenant's criteria.

Has it even been explicitly stated that revenant legends have to be dead? It might just need to be someone who's had a sufficient impact to have been reflected in the Mists - in which case, Joko would qualify.

Wouldn't surprise me if ArenaNet holds off from making it a general thing, though. Using Hounds of Balthazar against Balthazar would be weird enough, could you imagine channeling Legendary Lich Stance against Joko?

@draxynnic.3719 said:

@narcx.3570 said:

Obviously, we can't rule anything out... But I think it's just a throw away joke about Joko breaking out of prison too. Plus, I mean, teeeechnically, Joko
was
a dead guy in The Mists, which meets the Revenant's criteria.

Has it even been explicitly stated that revenant legends have to be dead? It might just need to be someone who's had a sufficient impact to have been reflected in the Mists - in which case, Joko would qualify.

Wouldn't surprise me if ArenaNet holds off from making it a general thing, though. Using Hounds of Balthazar against Balthazar would be weird enough, could you imagine channeling Legendary Lich Stance against Joko?

On the other hand, the dialogue might almost be worth the absurdity...

@Fluffball.8307 said:Joko's peeps are spectacularly incompetent aren't they? "Oh, that powerful magic-user that slaughtered two elders dragons and a god? Don't worry, I took his weapon and put him behind some metal bars. Say, why are is there a meteor shower AND earthquake AND volcano happening inside the jail?"

The text box monolog when you interact with the prison door with a Mesmer highlights the incompetence even more lol. That alone was worth it to drag my Mesmer through Daybreak.

@Sorann Peace.9056 said:Revenant: Channels the power of the Legendary Prisoner Palawa Joko to escape the cell.Ranger: Uses part of a skeleton as a summoning horn and calls insects to open the lock.Warrior: Channels his or her rage and punches through the bars.Guardian: Uses a Hammer of Wisdom to smash their way out.Elementalist: Conjures a Flame Axe to melt the bars.Mesmer: Teleports out.Thief: Picks the lock.Engineer: MacGyvers their way out of the cell.Necromancer: Summons a Flesh Wurm to burrow their way out of the cell.

I'm pretty sure that's all of them.I count 9 professions, so that's a full set. If someone hasn't included it on the wiki page yet, someone should do that soon.

On the subject of Revenant legends, we don't really have firm rules on which legends can and can't be channeled. Since there are so few of that class, the only ones we know about are the ones that PCs can channel.

It absolutely delighted me when I picked the lock. Then I went in again to help a friend with story and his warrior just busted the door open and I realized this was another profession-specific thing like in Head of the Snake and I was very happy! Went in a third time to help another friend and her mesmer Blinked through the bars (or portaled, could be). This was a wonderful part of the story thanks to the nod to professions.

@Donari.5237 said:It absolutely delighted me when I picked the lock. Then I went in again to help a friend with story and his warrior just busted the door open and I realized this was another profession-specific thing like in Head of the Snake and I was very happy! Went in a third time to help another friend and her mesmer Blinked through the bars (or portaled, could be). This was a wonderful part of the story thanks to the nod to professions.

What was the profession-specific thing in Head of the Snake?

@Yereton.8647 said:

@Donari.5237 said:It absolutely delighted me when I picked the lock. Then I went in again to help a friend with story and his warrior just busted the door open and I realized this was another profession-specific thing like in Head of the Snake and I was very happy! Went in a third time to help another friend and her mesmer Blinked through the bars (or portaled, could be). This was a wonderful part of the story thanks to the nod to professions.

It wasn't one thing that everyone interacted with in different ways, like this time, but there were a few things in the final instance that particular professions could get in on. Engineers could repurpose enemy turrets, rangers could charm a mini-boss dog, thieves could pick a door that other professions had to use a foot key on... I think there were probably a couple others, but I'd bet they're on the wiki page.

EDIT: Just checked, and necros can claim the minions of a different mini-boss.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

It wasn't one thing that everyone interacted with in different ways, like this time, but there were a few things in the final instance that particular professions could get in on. Engineers could repurpose enemy turrets, rangers could charm a mini-boss dog, thieves could pick a door that other professions had to use a foot key on... I think there were probably a couple others, but I'd bet they're on the wiki page.

EDIT: Just checked, and necros can claim the minions of a different mini-boss.

Oh yeah! I remember that! I noticed it that with my ranger I stole an enemies pets!

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I don't understand about this is that Sea of Sorrows says that you can't use magic without a weapon focus. In the scene where Cobiah is attacked on the docks by bandits or something or other, one of them, ( an elementalist, ) pins down Cobiah's companion, I think losing his first weapon, and remarks it's such a pity or something that you can't use magic without a magical focus, pulls out a focus, because of course Elementalists can use multiple weapons, and gives the guy serious burns.I can't remember specifics. I lost my copy so I can't provide a quote. But I do remember reading that.So why the hell can my Elementalist burn through metal bars on a whim with nothing but rags?

Archived