Daybreak's new Lore book format

So in case you didn't notice yet, Daybreak (LS4 ep.1) brings new lore book system. You can read the books spread around Astralarium after you shelve them back and the Koss on Koss [extended] and all the others from that cheevo. It springs up a new kind of window, that actually looks like a book page.

I'd like to commend Anet for this thing. It's absolutely great. There's so many possibilities to go from there, like full ingame lore books, like in the Elder Scrolls series. In other words, if Anet has them written internally they can release them like this. It's the depth I've been missing in GW2. You can make plaques too, just kinda landscaping the format and putting it on a stone tablet instead of the NPC dialogue window.

Next step: A personal library :)

Anyway... :+1: Anet

Yes! I love the new lore books in game and I really hope Anet expands on it. The Astralarium is a beautiful setting for these books too! Please Anet give us rl bookworms something to read/study in game! \o/ I also agree that they should have something to have on the go too, something to store all the lore into like they are doing with the portal tomes for the area port scrolls.

@rwsantos.7028 said:Archive-r-tron ("digitize" the books)/Commanders' Codex, better to have something on the go rather than just visit the home instance to read up on lore. There are places in Tyria where you can just read while enjoying the scenery.

Yeah something like a wardrobe tab for books.

I agree, it was one of the big positives with the Daybreak. It will be nice to see more of this stuff, same as older stuff (books, journals, etc.) converted to this new format. Some personal tab in the character overview like "Library" with all the relevant lore texts collected so far will be also nice. For example in the similar format as the current Story tab has.

Remember that ArenaNet told that nobody actually read the quest text and therefore switched to a system of dynamic events and renown hearts?I wonder who is actually going to read those lore books in game. Sure, some will do and it is nice for those players that they exist now. But the majority will just skip to the achievement or gameplay. If players wanted to read books they would be reading a book. Or the GW2 wiki which also has most of the lore.

It is not so about reading a book. It is just about reading a few sentences, one or two paragraphs (at this moment). Although I understand even that may be too much for some players, I always saw quite dumb to have book excerpts separated by one line to a dialogue, where you must constantly click "Read on...". It is odd, hard to read and annoying. So I am glad ANet brought this solution with the Daybreak. :)

• 1 month later...

I'd take a personal library in the home instance, a book tab in the wardrobe or SOMETHING. Having all of these books taking up bank space is really, really unfair. Give me an achievement collection that consumes them, SOMETHING PLEASE ANET! If you look on the list of lore books, there are 37! 39 if you include LWS1 stuff. Or since lore books are considered gizmos, make a gizmo tab on the Hero screen that this stuff can live in. And if you look at the list of gizmos, there are over 200! This is insane. Optionally, they could create a library (lore books), apothecary shelf (tonics), and toy chest ( for toys, musical instruments, etc.) and make them a Black Lion purchase. Or hell, create a "study" area as a housing instance add-on pack account upgrade to put all of this stuff in. I don't care, I'd pay gems to have these things in my housing instance instead of cluttering up my bank or forcing me to make a mule character.

Archived