Kralkatorrik’s Powers (Spoilers)

Tyson.5160

So it seems from the first Episode Kralkatorrik is using new powers he acquired after eating Balthazar’s energy. Looks like his minions are able to make Brandstorms or is Kralkatorrik doing this from a distance? Seems to be able conquer meteorites, power obtained from Jormag maybe? Also noticed that there’s branded Risen as well now.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Tyson.5160 said:So it seems from the first Episode Kralkatorrik is using new powers he acquired after eating Balthazar’s energy. Looks like his minions are able to make Brandstorms or is Kralkatorrik doing this from a distance? Seems to be able conquer meteorites, power obtained from Jormag maybe? Also noticed that there’s branded Risen as well now.

What do you mean by conquering meteorites? I saw everything else you mentioned, but not that.

First off, it's practically stated in Daybreak that he's creating the Brandstorm from the mountain top that he's perched on. The Brandstones are meteors that have either passed through a Brandstorm or the Fury of the Brand(though that seems more unlikely as it doesn't reach that high into the atmosphere), they're not conjured, they are literally branded meteorites. That is something you find out on Istan, but you need to talk to the right NPC's and it's a vague description. As for raising Branded from the dead(that is what they are, you could call them Branded Risen, but I haven't seen that name yet) it's because when we killed Balthazar and the magic that was absorbed by Kralkatorrik it contained both Zhaitan's and Jormag's "magical powers".

I recall during the final battle with Balthazar that Kralkatorrik was hurling meteors at the platform, that’s why I thought he was just creating them, as for the Branded Risen, the reason I said that was because of the comment that Canach said about getting your Risen killing boots on that and the Branded Thrall are red tinted Risen Thralls.

When Zhaitan and Mordremoth died, their spheres of influence (death magic, shadow magic, mind magic, and plant magic) went to the other elder dragons. It wasn't just Primordus and Jormag, but Kralkatorrik and the Deep Sea Dragon as well. Then afterwards Kralkatorrik also gain a huge power up by absorbing most of Balthazar's released energy (which contained his own magic plus the bloodstone magic, plus the energy he stole from Primordus and Jormag).

@Tyson.5160 said:Seems very similar to the large Jormag meteors that Claws of Jormag create. Also doesn’t Jormag create Blizzards in areas away from him as well?

We see crystals falling out of the sky in Iron Marches, and the Searing is heavily hinted to have been using Kralkatorrik's power. So I'd say the meteors are Kralkatorrik's own magic, and not a domain of another Elder Dragon.

@Zaklex.6308 said:First off, it's practically stated in Daybreak that he's creating the Brandstorm from the mountain top that he's perched on. The Brandstones are meteors that have either passed through a Brandstorm or the Fury of the Brand(though that seems more unlikely as it doesn't reach that high into the atmosphere), they're not conjured, they are literally branded meteorites. That is something you find out on Istan, but you need to talk to the right NPC's and it's a vague description. As for raising Branded from the dead(that is what they are, you could call them Branded Risen, but I haven't seen that name yet) it's because when we killed Balthazar and the magic that was absorbed by Kralkatorrik it contained both Zhaitan's and Jormag's "magical powers".

I'm going to have to say they're conjured.

It feels like the frequency is way too common to be common meteorites that just get corrupted mid-fall. Kralkatorrik also has a history of making crystals fall from the sky.

@Sir Alric.5078 said:When Zhaitan and Mordremoth died, their spheres of influence (death magic, shadow magic, mind magic, and plant magic) went to the other elder dragons. It wasn't just Primordus and Jormag, but Kralkatorrik and the Deep Sea Dragon as well. Then afterwards Kralkatorrik also gain a huge power up by absorbing most of Balthazar's released energy (which contained his own magic plus the bloodstone magic, plus the energy he stole from Primordus and Jormag).

Technically, Mordremoth's and Zhaitan's magic went to the world which could be absorbed by the others. This is why Jormag has only one notable minion influenced by Zhaitan's amd Mordremoth's magic. Primordus had so much because he moved to where the magic was building up.

Kralkatorrik likely got a big amount of Zhaitan's magic due to his proximity. And we know he got some of Mordremoth's, but this was likely a small amount like Jormag (though he is closer and in a more direct path from the four directions we saw Mordy's magic move).

But since we don't know the location of the DSD, we cannot be certain he got any of Zhaitan's or Mordremoth's magic.

Konig, we have had discussions before on the Dragons and their powers, what are your thoughts on the new Branded Thralls which are rose coloured Risen human Thralls. It seemed that from the Small Victory cinematic, Kralkatorrik flew over the corpse of a devourer that it became a regular branded devourer with a bit of green smoke, yet we have these rose coloured Branded Thralls, shouldn’t they be regular branded humans?

@Tyson.5160 said:Konig, we have had discussions before on the Dragons and their powers, what are your thoughts on the new Branded Thralls which are rose coloured Risen human Thralls. It seemed that from the Small Victory cinematic, Kralkatorrik flew over the corpse of a devourer that it became a regular branded devourer with a bit of green smoke, yet we have these rose coloured Branded Thralls, shouldn’t they be regular branded humans?

A possible distinction is that the dead devourer was Branded directly, while the thralls were created by lieutenants. So it's possible that Kralkatorrik has used his absorption of death magic to grant his champions the power to raise Risen - possibly because being able to raise Risen on the spot is more efficient than Branding, which in the absence of Kralkatorrik or a large concentration of Kralkatorrik's energy seems to require that the victim be sealed within a crystal for an extended period of time, while basic Risen seem to be able to be animated fairly quickly and easily.

Branded humans and charr do seem to be noticeably more powerful than Thralls (game mechanics such as level scaling aside), so it's entirely possible that regular Branding is the preferred means of claiming a minion, while raising Thralls is simply something that is kept in reserve for when a lieutenant needs reinforcements now.

Out of interest, did we see any branded Awakened in Vabbi? I can't distinctly remember seeing any, though I may be misremembering, and if we don't physically see any (this could have just been minimal resources on creating new monster assets), is there any in-game lore on Awakened and corruption?

The only reason I ask is if now Kralk has some more 'abilities' specifically related to death, does that change things? Is Joko about to walk into the biggest trap of his own making?

@cNd.1096 said:I didn't see any branded Awakened through whole expansion

Neither did I. It is possible, though, that branding an Awakened simply produces a similar result to a branded human.

Joko was supposed to have been legitimately skirmishing with Zhaitan's forces before the fall of Zhaitan, so one can presume he has some countermeasure to Zhaitan simply seizing control of his Awakened.

@Tyson.5160 said:So it seems from the first Episode Kralkatorrik is using new powers he acquired after eating Balthazar’s energy. Looks like his minions are able to make Brandstorms or is Kralkatorrik doing this from a distance? Seems to be able conquer meteorites, power obtained from Jormag maybe? Also noticed that there’s branded Risen as well now.

Rytlock says that we're in real danger because Kralkatorrik can brand people in Amnoon from Kourna. Also the 2 storms that we saw at the end of PoF and at the beginning of Season 4 were created from this far distance...

What interests me the most is that Kralkatorrik sits in the mountains instead of just flying throughout Tyria and brand everything...

@JayMack.8295 said:Out of interest, did we see any branded Awakened in Vabbi? I can't distinctly remember seeing any, though I may be misremembering, and if we don't physically see any (this could have just been minimal resources on creating new monster assets), is there any in-game lore on Awakened and corruption?

The only reason I ask is if now Kralk has some more 'abilities' specifically related to death, does that change things? Is Joko about to walk into the biggest trap of his own making?

We didnt see what happened to the awakened generals or soldiers when we killed Balthazar. There is no proofs to the theory that Awakened are immuned to the dragons' corruption.

@Sir Alric.5078 said:X Konig Des Todes

True, but i am assuming that he did. We have seen all the other elder dragons becoming more powerful. Poor DSD can't be the only one who didn't get any stronger than he already was.

Mordremoth's magic spread out in 4 directions- to Primordus (south)/ to Aurene (north)/ and to Jormag and Kralkatorrik (east), so another amount of his magic went to the west, right?

So perhaps DSD is somewhere in the eastern western Tyria.

@Arden.7480 said:

@Sir Alric.5078 said:X Konig Des Todes

True, but i am assuming that he did. We have seen all the other elder dragons becoming more powerful. Poor DSD can't be the only one who didn't get any stronger than he already was.

Mordremoth's magic spread out in 4 directions- to Primordus (south)/ to Aurene (north)/ and to Jormag and Kralkatorrik (east), so another amount of his magic went to the west, right?

So perhaps DSD is somewhere in the eastern Tyria.

You meant western Tyria, right?Well, that's what i think too. And west (and south) of the Maguuma jungle is the unending ocean, so that portion of Mordremoth's magic should have gone to the DSD.

Are we certain that it's Kralkatorrik that is causing the Brandstorms? I mean, I know that NPC's believe this to be the case, but I'd note that in both instances where we see remote Brandstorms (in Amnoon and later throughout Istan), Aurene is actually present. What if it's not Kralkatorrik causing the storms but Aurene, using power inherited from her grandsire? She would have absorbed more of Mordremoth's energy than Kralkatorrik, and any power that Balthazar gained from Primordus and Jormag was shared between both Kralkatorrik and Aurene.

Two points against this theory:

1. If Aurene inherited the power to create Brandstorms from Kralkatorrik, then why don't we ever observe Glint or Vlast creating Brandstorms? (possible answer: they have the power but learned to control it due to its destructiveness)
  2. Although we'd expect Aurene to have some of Zhaitan's magic, from absorbing it via Zhaitan->Mordremoth->Glint's Egg, or Zhaitan->Mordremoth->Primordus/Jormag->Balthazar->Aurene, or possibly just Zhaitan->Primordus/Jormag->Balthazar->Aurene, we'd still expect Kralkatorrik to have more of Zhaitan's magic than Mordremoth ever had, given that it was much closer geographically to Zhaitan at the time of its death. On the other hand, maybe Kralkatorrik wasn't located near a ley line nexus like the dormant Mordremoth was. We don't see Kralkatorrik using death magic until after absorbing Balthzar's magic, after all.

One thing that's been bothering me: given that Balthazar absorbed magic off both Primordus and Jormag (and by extension, vestiges of Zhaitan and Mordremoth), why is it that the only magic we ever see him using resembles that of Primordus?

@Tamias.7059 said:Are we certain that it's Kralkatorrik that is causing the Brandstorms? I mean, I know that NPC's believe this to be the case, but I'd note that in both instances where we see remote Brandstorms (in Amnoon and later throughout Istan), Aurene is actually present. What if it's not Kralkatorrik causing the storms but Aurene, using power inherited from her grandsire? She would have absorbed more of Mordremoth's energy than Kralkatorrik, and any power that Balthazar gained from Primordus and Jormag was shared between both Kralkatorrik and Aurene.

Two points against this theory:

1. If Aurene inherited the power to create Brandstorms from Kralkatorrik, then why don't we ever observe Glint or Vlast creating Brandstorms? (possible answer: they have the power but learned to control it due to its destructiveness)
  2. Although we'd expect Aurene to have some of Zhaitan's magic, from absorbing it via Zhaitan->Mordremoth->Glint's Egg, or Zhaitan->Mordremoth->Primordus/Jormag->Balthazar->Aurene, or possibly just Zhaitan->Primordus/Jormag->Balthazar->Aurene, we'd still expect Kralkatorrik to have more of Zhaitan's magic than Mordremoth ever had, given that it was much closer geographically to Zhaitan at the time of its death. On the other hand, maybe Kralkatorrik wasn't located near a ley line nexus like the dormant Mordremoth was. We don't see Kralkatorrik using death magic until after absorbing Balthzar's magic, after all.

One thing that's been bothering me: given that Balthazar absorbed magic off both Primordus and Jormag (and by extension, vestiges of Zhaitan and Mordremoth), why is it that the only magic we ever see him using resembles that of Primordus?

If it was Aurene creating the brandstorm, than said brandstorm would stick to her body and follow her wherever she goes (just like Kralkatorrik's body is permanently enveloped by his brandstorm). Even more so if she is unable to control it as you say. Yet, the brandstorm was only present in Amnoon where Kralkatorrik's minions were, and did not follow Aurene to Istan.So no, creating brandstorms is a power unique to Kralkatorrik, and will remain that way unless someone kills the elder dragon and Aurene absorbs his magic power. Which won't happen since if Kralk dies, the world goes boom.

EDIT: P. S. - Balthazar is the god of war and fire, that's why he uses fire magic. I don't think anyone but dragons is capable of asborbing and using different types of magic at the same time.

Archived