"Story Mode" No

Kenny.5826

All I keep hearing seeing about raids nowadays are story mode, easy mode. No. Just... no.This is pretty much just a rant. Developers have consistently told us they want raids to remain the most "challenging" content in the game and most of you who complain are just plain lazy (im sorry if that was offensive) but its simply the truth.Guild Wars 2 has one of the most accessible raids in any mmorpg, if you don't believe me try get in a mythic raiding team in WoW. People have killed a boss with only 2 players for godsake (provided they are very good). Why should every content in the game be spoofed to every player, why not have a sense of accomplishment doing something you usually just 1111111 through.

Most common type of lazy players:I don't have time.Yes, yes you do. Or at least majority of you do. Most raid group are 2 hrs per week. You honestly can tell me that you can't spare 2 hrs a week? (I do apologize if you are one of those genuinely too busy to play but to be honest there are enough things to do in this game other than raids if you can't spare 2 hrs a week)Everyone around me ask for 500 LIWell... no a few do. But if you are just starting to raid LFG is not where you should start looking to raid.Joining Training Group Sucks/Slow/etcWell, it is supposed to be challenging contentEveryone asks for meta buildsMake your own group where you can specify that you don't need meta builds. No one is stopping youI just want to experience the story/I want to see cinematic/ etc
Youtube m'dear.I only want to do see the storyWell a lot raiders raid weekly and by catering to players like this, it will slow down the production of the next wing. Putting in a story mode a lot of players will use it once, experience the story and never use it again. In my humble opinion, the resources that would have been used to dedicate to make a story mode can be used somewhere else.I don't want to dedicate that much time to raidsThen you are not as interested in the story as you might have initially thought. If you were, you would work your butt off for it.I'll update this list with comments that will evidently come.

Point is that "story mode" has been suggested so many times and we have yet to see one hint of the mode coming out, why not embrace the challenge and have a sense of accomplishment when you finally down a/that boss. Feel like the hero you were meant to be by bring down your enemy. Feel the frustration, the anger of the fail attempts and the relief and joy when you finally killed vale guardian/xera for the first time. The story is only part of the experience. How you raid and how you interact with your comrades in arms is the complete story.

Stop trying to make the game easier.

Are you ready to bring down the first raid boss of your life?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does it matter if there is an easy mode and an additional hard mode. Personally I think the additions may draw more players to the game mode. As it currently is they release a raid wing what once every 9 months? Doesn’t seem like Anet is investing much into raids to begin with... Perhaps if the player base of people enjoying the raids was larger, it could be more frequent like Fractals, which also seem to be producing the same quality of content as well as different degrees of difficulty.

All of your complaints are valid except the idea of making the game easier. FFXIV Normal and even the train wreck that is WoW LFR prove that easy modes are good for the game, especially if done well as FFXIV normal is.

Just make it come out later if you want to keep integrity. A patch later is a good lead time. And make it not drop LI and Ascended shit/magnetite shards. Give it a more gold based reward.

@Westenev.5289 said:If Anet impliment a story mode to teach mechanics in a less punishing way without the reward, you would remove the Taboo from raiding altogether. Isn't that a good thing?

If arenanet ever introduced a story mode, it should not have the same mechanics as the raid mode. This spoils the development time used to make the raid mechanics challenging and engaging.

@meeflak.9714 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:If Anet impliment a story mode to teach mechanics in a less punishing way without the reward, you would remove the Taboo from raiding altogether. Isn't that a good thing?

If arenanet ever introduced a story mode, it should not have the same mechanics as the raid mode. This spoils the development time used to make the raid mechanics challenging and engaging.

That would make the entire story mode pointless.

@Westenev.5289 said:

@meeflak.9714 said:

On that note. The story mode should only be available for the story. Which yes would be pointless, like the devs have said. Is a waste of development time

@meeflak.9714 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:

@meeflak.9714 said:

On that note. The story mode should only be available for the story. Which yes would be pointless, like the devs have said. Is a waste of development time

And so, I suggested a counter-idea that wouldn't be a waste of developers time. If people had the confidence to raid, I'm pretty sure they would.

@Westenev.5289 said:

@meeflak.9714 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:

@meeflak.9714 said:

And so, I suggested a counter-idea that wouldn't be a waste of developers time. If people had the confidence to raid, I'm pretty sure they would.

The only thing getting in the way of peoples confidence Is there pre conceived ideas of how the raiding community operates, their expectations, and there limitations. I'm not going to go into another full fledged argument on the subject. But you can make the raiding experience whatever you want to make it.

Showing off all the mechanics of the raid while in a protective bubble ruins the integrity of the raid, and it's mechanics.

@meeflak.9714 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:

@meeflak.9714 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:

@meeflak.9714 said:

The only thing getting in the way of peoples confidence Is there pre conceived ideas of how the raiding community operates, their expectations, and there limitations. I'm not going to go into another full fledged argument on the subject. But you can make the raiding experience whatever you want to make it.

Showing off all the mechanics of the raid while in a protective bubble ruins the integrity of the raid, and it's mechanics.

You know what I say to that? To hell with integrity if it's getting in the way of fun. xD

If Anet has a problem with keeping their mechanics a secret, I think they could easily wait a week or two to release the story mode (kind of like releasing the awnsers to a puzzle you can't figure out on your own). At that point, all the first-clears should have their video tutorials up and QTFY would have their meta comps published. Or maybe you think these sources also hurt the integrity of raid mechanics?

@Westenev.5289 said:

@meeflak.9714 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:

@meeflak.9714 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:

@meeflak.9714 said:

You know what I say to that? To hell with integrity if it's getting in the way of fun. xD

If Anet has a problem with keeping their mechanics a secret, I think they could easily wait a week or two to release the story mode (kind of like releasing the awnsers to a puzzle you can't figure out on your own). At that point, all the first-clears should have their video tutorials up and QTFY would have their meta comps published. Or maybe you think these sources also hurt the integrity of raid mechanics?

That's far more reasonable, but arenanet has said they just don't want to spare the development time, and raids will remain with the image they set out to establish.

And story mode raids would need to have toned back rewards. No ascended , LI , decorations, etc

@meeflak.9714 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:

@meeflak.9714 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:

@meeflak.9714 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:

@meeflak.9714 said:

That's far more reasonable, but arenanet has said they just don't want to spare the development time, and raids will remain with the image they set out to establish.

And story mode raids would need to have toned back rewards. No ascended , LI , decorations, etc

I agree with ASC and LI, but decorations aren’t really all that good ‘o.O Well, besides turret fragments. I have a special place in my hall for those!

I figure if enough people bring it up, one (or more) developer(s) will take pity on us. Raids are fun, and it's a shame so many people are afraid to try them because they're too scared, or they can't sync 2 hours of their time with 9 other people (a tiny oversimplification the OP conveniently forgets to mention).

@Kheldorn.5123 said:They will implement story mode / difficulty scaling at some point eventually. We are past the peak of interest in raiding in the community, they are only to lose support and interest in time and will end up being pvp 2.0 - a gimmick :)

I am sure you are about to provide some metrics which prove this assumption. Otherwise it's just that, the subjective assumption of someone who doesn't raid.

@AstralDusk.1670 said:Nobody wants to compete in the Olympics when it's their first time swimming. A toned-down, low-or-no-reward version would grow the community a little more.

But first time swimming already exists in the game. It is called dungeons, fractals and open world.

Edit: and golems special force training area.

@Cyninja.2954 said:I am sure you are about to provide some metrics which prove this assumption. Otherwise it's just that, the subjective assumption of someone who doesn't raid.

Surprisingly enough, I agree that some time in the future they will add something in Raids. Nothing to prove it of course.Now about why I think this will happen some time in the future?In other games you don't really care about the lower tier Raids and the vast majority of the raiding population is doing the more "current" Raids, the Raids that drop the current best gear. At the same time, older Raids become easier (due to the gear/level difference)This creates the problem of having less and less players willing to play the older Raids, you might not see it now, but when we have double the Raids we have now (or sooner) we'll get there. And since older Raids won't become easier, they will look like abandoned content.

Again, it's not a concern at this point, and I'm more worried about Hall of Chains. It's new and shinny now but the end reward is a Ring. The first two Raids give Legendary Armor which, unless they add another set in a future Raid (doubtful), will remain a good reason to run them forever.

The developers also clearly said in the recent AMA that they will be releasing Raids more often during Season 4.Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7g7wds/living_world_season_4_daybreak_devs_here_ask_us/dqh6bac/So there is no reason for concern at the moment.

@Vinceman.4572 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:They will implement story mode / difficulty scaling at some point eventually. We are past the peak of interest in raiding in the community, they are only to lose support and interest in time and will end up being pvp 2.0 - a gimmick :)

Facts? :)Are overrated. Alternative facts ftw.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

I am sure you are about to provide some metrics which prove this assumption. Otherwise it's just that, the subjective assumption of someone who doesn't raid.

This is natural lifecycle of mmos that some content loses its popularity and is left for most invested fans only. Especially true for old mmos, which GW2 is. Raid is nice gimmick but it will never grow to be main part of the game :)

Okay, you can make a story mode and it is a good idea for 2 reasons:

1. It allows casual players who are not good at raiding, but love story, to get the important chucks of lore out of the raid and enjoy the ambient story telling.
    1. It can be used as an opertunity to teach these casual players raid mechanics so they can then go and do hardcore raid as contributing members.

But how can a story mode teach mechanics if its made easy? You say. If you change the fight they wont learn anything, you say. Well there is a simple solution:

1. Dont change mechanics, cycles, attack patterns, boss skills, leave that all the same
  2. Instead, increase the time limit, decrease the bosses healty bar and the amount of damage the boss deals in his attacks. Leave everything else the same.

This will make the fight easy, but still teach the core mechanics that are needed for the hardcore mode.

B-but, the rewards, the prestigue, they shouldnt be able to easily earn what we struggle for! What would be the point of us playing the hard mode if we could get the same rewards on an easier story mode??? You are correct, and that is why most, if not all of the current rewards should be locked behind hardcore mode.

In effect, this will actually encourage casual players to play story mode as a method of training to 'get gud' enough for harcore so they can obtain rewards. And as such, the prestigue is still maintained, and the amount of skilled raiders in the game will increase. Everyone benifets.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:I am sure you are about to provide some metrics which prove this assumption. Otherwise it's just that, the subjective assumption of someone who doesn't raid.

Surprisingly enough, I agree that some time in the future they will add something in Raids. Nothing to prove it of course.Now about why I think this will happen some time in the future?In other games you don't really care about the lower tier Raids and the vast majority of the raiding population is doing the more "current" Raids, the Raids that drop the current best gear. At the same time, older Raids become easier (due to the gear/level difference)This creates the problem of having less and less players willing to play the older Raids, you might not see it now, but when we have double the Raids we have now (or sooner) we'll get there. And since older Raids won't become easier, they will look like abandoned content.

Again, it's not a concern at this point, and I'm more worried about Hall of Chains. It's new and shinny now but the end reward is a Ring. The first two Raids give Legendary Armor which, unless they add another set in a future Raid (doubtful), will remain a good reason to run them forever.

The developers also clearly said in the recent AMA that they will be releasing Raids more often during Season 4.Source:
So there is no reason for concern at the moment.

Not nessisarily so. In other games the older raids become easy due to the treadmill of better gear making older content less challenging. As guild wars 2 does not implement new tiers of better gear, that effect will not be as pronounced, if present at all.

@Kenny.5826 said:why not embrace the challenge and have a sense of accomplishment when you finally down a/that boss. Feel like the hero you were meant to be by bring down your enemy.

Truth?

Because after over a decade of raiding, I never felt like the hero.. I always felt like a rat in a maze. Raids were always more a grind-chore then a challenge where I was forced to constantly deal with people I didn't like and attitudes I can't stand.. I bit my tongue to all kinds of douchebagery all in the quest to grind out some stupid bit of loot just to remain top tier, for no other reason then to keep viable in raiding community.

I would much sooner quit this game, then ever go back to playing like that again.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Kenny.5826 said:why not embrace the challenge and have a sense of accomplishment when you finally down a/that boss. Feel like the hero you were meant to be by bring down your enemy.

Truth?

Because after over a decade of raiding, I never felt like the hero.. I always felt like a rat in a maze. Raids were always more a grind-chore then a challenge where I was forced to constantly deal with people I didn't like and attitudes I can't stand.. I bit my tongue to all kinds of douchebagery all in the quest to grind out some stupid bit of loot just to remain top tier, for no other reason then to keep viable in raiding community.

I would much sooner quit this game, then ever go back to playing like that
again

And here you are again in another thread, comparing gw2 raids to other games......it's....not....the....same....game.......

Whatever game you played before, whatever experiences you've had, are completely irrelevant when talking about raids in gw2.. gw2 had no gear treadmill, gw2 isn't a grind for gear stats to win kind of game.. you can raid in exotics and never look back. And even then ascended is just one step up and easily obtainable in the raids themselves.. you're not going to have to grind for months to gear re gear your toon every expansions.

The more I read your posts throughout the threads in this forum the more it becomes clear you don't understand how raids in gw2 work. You should really take the time to do some research before spreading negativity around the forums

Archived