[Spoilers] Wing 5 Story

Manimarco Devil.1790

So as far as I understand it,

1. We enter a besieged fortress being guarded by stranded spirits.
  2. Dhuum has begun exerting his influence once more and this time has corrupted Desmina and King Frozenwind
  3. Desmina's spirit has been forced out of her own body and leading the attack on the fortress. (Soulless Horror)
  4. Not sure what/how statues are relevant.
  5. Once the party reaches the Hall of Judgement, all of the reapers are already present.
  6. Dhuum is defeated once more but all of the reapers die in the process.
  7. Dialogue from Glenna makes it sound like something went wrong in the ritual but Desmina "fortuitously" managed to salvage it(but may have caused reapers to die). This makes it sound like she has her own designs and sacrificed the Reapers as Grenth is no longer around.
  8. New bonds are "unbreakable." Not sure if this is supposed to be taken at face value or if the PC just hopes they are.

Notable omissions: Four Horsemen not present, no Aatxes.

@Manimarco Devil.1790 said:Notable omissions: Four Horsemen not present, no Aatxes.

According to the last Griffon Mission (Spoiler incoming) when you enter the Dark Library again you can talk to the first Ghost and he tells you something like:Before Kormir showed up the dark library was occupied by Abaddon. Now as Kormir left the minions of Abaddon take over the library again.

And surprise surprise the first minions of Abaddon you fight are... Aataxe.

@Nogothanc.5014 said:

@"Manimarco Devil.1790" said:Notable omissions: Four Horsemen not present, no Aatxes.

According to the last Griffon Mission (Spoiler incoming) when you enter the Dark Library again you can talk to the first Ghost and he tells you something like:Before Kormir showed up the dark library was occupied by Abaddon. Now as Kormir left the minions of Abaddon take over the library again.

You'll find some controversy over that claim. While you are entirely correct in stating that the only in-game source of dialogue we have says that the invading demons were Abaddon's former minions, Connie Griffith from the Path of Fire story team said this during an ask-me-anything session:

"Actually, the forces that invade the library after Kormir's departure are not Abaddon's. The Mists are generally an unpredictable and dangerous place, so while the library was a safe and stable place in Kormir's presence, her departure made it vulnerable to invasion from other entities within the Mists."

You'll have to weigh the two conflicting statements yourself and decide which one you believe, the out-of-game statement made by Connie or the in-game statement made by the character in Kormir's library.

@Manimarco Devil.1790 said:

1. Not sure what/how statues are relevant.
  2. Once the party reaches the Hall of Judgement, all of the reapers are already present.
  1. Dhuum created a barrier around the Hall of Judgment by reversing the seal on him. We have to reactivate the three statues in order to break this barrier or some such. Each one is defended by a different servant of dhuum: Statue of Ice by the Broken King Frozenwind; Statue of Death and Resurrection by an Eater of Souls (green instead of blue from the Domain of the Lost), and the Statue of Darkness by an Eye of Fate and Eye of Judgment (these used a modified Eye of Zhaitan model).
  2. They teleport in, technically. Sadly, rather than using the Lich Form model like in the PS, or using the Avatar of Death finisher, or using the Grenth's Regalia outfit, they used Reclaimed Wraith models, with varying staves (including scythe staff, The Crossing, and others).

@Manimarco Devil.1790 said:Notable omissions: Four Horsemen not present, no Aatxes.

Not surprising. There were no Aatxes in the Ice Wastes of GW1, and we killed the Four Horsemen in GW1 (given lore, Dhuum would have eaten the souls of those slain in the Underworld; meaning he ate the Four Horsemen).

@Nogothanc.5014 said:

During the AMA, some devs clarified that and said that what we see are just generic "evil Mists creatures" and not actually servants of Abaddon. This marks the librarian in game as an unreliable narrator (or an error that they didn't bother to fix - it is possible they wanted to include torment demons, which were in an alliance with Abaddon, but ran out of time to make new models).

@Athrenn.9468 and @Ayakaru.6583 There is no despite over this, you take the dev's statement in this case.

It should be noted as well that in the Domain of the Lost, we see many dead Aatxes lying around.

Yeah on the demons thing, they weren't Abaddon's per se. But given his lovecraftian vibe, I wonder if there was intended to be some connection there. That being said, what's his face - the Hero we get in Realm of Torment, Razah, would suggest the Mists coalesce into masses that only become sentient after a certain point. During this time they're like newborns who gravitate to the nearest source of suggestion - be it evil or good. So that is what I think Connie was getting at which is a cool nodoff-not-so-nodoff to Razah as that's what happened - we find this entity that had been watching us as we went to hunt Abaddon and it becomes curious only to join us and learn, Razah was not malevolent by nature, instead it imprints upon us, the Legendary Heroes.

So we defeat Dhuum in the raid? That's incredibly disappointing. Can't imagine him creeping out in the PS of LW Season 4 D:

@Ronin.7381 said:So we defeat Dhuum in the raid? That's incredibly disappointing. Can't imagine him creeping out in the PS of LW Season 4 D:

It is more or less clearly stated that Dhuum is not gonna break out like ever again. Though he really seems to be unable to die due to being an embodiment of the concept of death itself and all that. There's also not much to be found (as far as I know) in the way of backstory inside the cleared instance. Doesn't seem like we're getting stuff about Grenth's dethroning him or anything new really. The boss is epic but the story was kinda lackluster in this one IMO (Anet went full lolraids this time around). And now that it's a Raid I doubt anything from the main story will ever touch UW, so as to keep raids niche and separated from the main game.

Yeah, raid five's new lore pretty much surmounts to solely what Dhuum's crimes were (eating souls of all the dead) and his future goals are (eating souls of all the living). Which is pretty one dimensional.

The writing and delivery, much like Season 3, requires people to know the lore and story of GW1. Without that, it can easily leave people lost and uncaring.

It's like ArenaNet had a kneejerk reaction to all the complaints about "lore being inaccessible" and decided to take all the lore out of the raid, despite using one of the most anticipated returning figures.

Which really sucks for me since Dhuum's plot was the favorite plot in GW1 for me.

I'm insanely disappointed in no dhuum main villain storyline, the bodies made me extremely hyped he would be xpac 3 or even later, but would happen nonetheless. On the bright side, he still isn't dead so there's a chance. Also, did it say the chains would be unbreakable is someone ELSE broke them from the outside? Not sure who, but they could still use him as the villain I guess.

@Ronin.7381 said:Yeah but to that same token, Primordus and Jormag aren't dead either but I highly doubt we'll see them return in GW2 if ever. HahahaI very much suspect they will. Putting Jormag and Primordus to sleep is an obvious plot device to explain why we are chasing Kralkatorik all over Elona, instead of dealing with more local problems... like Jormag and Primordus. It's just a mean to get them out of the way for now, but still save them for later.

Primodrus I suspect will be the last one we get rid of, in whatever way we find to get rid of them without destroying Tyria, as a thematic connection to GW1, where Primordus was the first one to rise, and whose lieutenant was the final badguy of GW1 Eye of the North.

on demons vs minions. I believe that one of the omissions is that we too often compare demons to minions. Where minions where created to serve their creator, demons are not created like that, but are either freely or forced to obey. A good thing is seen in DoA, where the demons are stronger then ever with a new master as their leader.

So in short. Dragons have minions. Gods have followers (maybe forced but still). The only real exceptionI can think of are the forged who are a special kind of awakened.

Archived