Gear Testing - An upgrade request for the Special Forces Training Area

While I understand there may be mixed opinions about how the execution of this request would be engaged and that it may be somewhat of a pipe dream, I must go forward in expressing the desire most of my raiders in my guild and friends list have towards this request. So, I'll just come right out and ask it.

1. Why not have the ability to obtain instance bound(Special Forces Training Area Only) Gear (Weapons, Armor, Runes, Sigils, Food & Utilities) that has stat swapping capabilities and rarity swapping capabilities (From Exotic to Ascended For stat differentiation and comparison) for testing purposes?
  • We've already seen the SPvP System and Gear window via the SPvP Build Window so lets utilize what systems we already do have and put them towards raids where gear can make or break a team. Let's take a look at this SPvP Build Window in case you aren't familiar with it quite yet. Here

• Let's say you want to test some build or try a gear-set or whatever to use in the raids, but you don't have access or time to go get ascended trinkets or want to waste time. So you go to this area in the SFTA Here and stand then you get placed under an instance duration effect of the Exo-Suit Outfit appearance for the duration of your build+gear testing.

• When the effect of the appearance takes effect you have an interface similar to the SPvP window shown earlier in the post, allowing you to select any weapon and armor type your current class is able to use along with any sigil and or rune depending on the slot you select as well as the ability to convert the armor or weapons to ascended status. You cannot view this window/change unless you are in the area I'm placed on the last screenshot.

While I realize that having the access of testing all of these builds would kind of eliminate the reason to purchase such items for the testing purpose I suggest adding a currency sink much like the Structured PvP system does for unlocking specific Runes/Sigils/Amulets. Should keep things in line.

Upon leaving the instance/logging out ALL Generated items/stats/gear is wiped from the inventory and off of the character. Test gear can not be placed in bank/inventory/shared item slots nor can it be listed on the trade post...

All of this being said, I do realize that it is a pipe dream but I believe the tools and systems are there in place that we can recycle and use for the benefit of the community based on seeing the systems in SPvP already in place and the Beta Gear Loot Boxes.

Please think realistically and for the community...So...

@Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

@Brimstar.9036 said:Sounds like a lot of work.

not exactly the response type im looking for...whatever it takes doesnt matter, i want opinions on the idea itself.

But what it takes does matter. The idea has to be considered in the context of what else we could get for that amount of work. Personally, while your idea sounds nice, I'd prefer they work on build templates instead.

@SharkBall.5829 said:

not exactly the response type im looking for...whatever it takes doesnt matter, i want opinions on the idea itself.

But what it takes does matter. The idea has to be considered in the context of what else we could get for that amount of work. Personally, while your idea sounds nice, I'd prefer they work on build templates instead.

Im not asking for it to be released in priority over build templates but rahter along the same time. build templates should come first to be honest, but what about after that?

@SharkBall.5829 said:

With this in mind, from a coding prospective these systems(build templates, and testing gear) would overlap when it comes to code. I would like to start by saying I have not seen the code of the game so it might not be as efficient as i am imagining. As OP described this menu would be similar to the sPVP menu which is already in the game. I would reuse the functionality implemented and then change what datasheet (values for gear) it would feed off of. The UI would need to be changed and this process will be a bit more complected than sPVP because sPVP uses predefined amulets with stat combos. To fix this I would call the methods used in PVE that define what our stats the gear has. Again I don't know the state of ANet's code but overall it is a simple job, the infrastructure is already coded into the game. On top of that we already have the infrastructure for build templates because Legendary armor needs to have a "saved state" (the values for the gear are able to change so a it is necessary to save those stats in some way so our legendary armor does not reset after every log out. Why they have not implemented build templates might have to do with people modifying their character data out of game and security issues.EDIT: grammar and points about why no build templates

@Danaku.8153 said:

@SharkBall.5829 said:

With this in mind, from a coding prospective these systems(build templates, and testing gear) would overlap when it comes to code. I would like to start by saying I have not seen the code of the game so it might not be as efficient as i am imagining. As OP described this menu would be similar to the sPVP menu which is already in the game. I would reuse the functionality implemented and then change what datasheet (values for gear) it would feed off of. The UI would need to be changed and this process will be a bit more complected than sPVP because sPVP uses predefined amulets with stat combos. To fix this I would call the methods used in PVE that define what our stats the gear has. Again I don't know the state of ANet's code but overall it is a simple job, the infrastructure is already coded into the game. On top of that we already have the infrastructure for build templates because Legendary armor needs to have a "saved state" (the values for the gear are able to change so a it is necessary to save those stats in some way so our legendary armor does not reset after every log out. Why they have not implemented build templates might have to do with people modifying their character data out of game and security issues.EDIT: grammar and points about why no build templates

LOL. Always these comments from programmers taking guesses on how everything is implemented. You have 0 clue on how the game is built, please stop saying things are easy to implement because there is a similar functionality available.The saved state you are talking about is just data that's being saved to the server/database. And editing build templates outside of the game wouldn't do anything since if the code would be half decent it would only equip items the player has.

Archived