What is weaver good at?

obcan.1470

So I have been playing PvP in past 48 hours, I have been playing mender/avatar weaver and I have managed to hit platinum. On my way I have noticed that every single game I felt like was carried. And if I didnt and even got top stats for multiple categories the game was lost too hard. When I tried to fight Mirage it felt like I was doing nothing to him, he evaded 90% of my attacks, stun broke 90% of hard CC, meanwhile applied confusion stacks. When I tried to catch up to him blinked away stealthed. Okay so Mirage is Tankier, heavy hitter and more mobile, cool at least I have heals for my team. Then I tried to duel Spellbreaker. I am not even going to talk about that. I tried to copy thieves play style running around two points and decapping them. But enemy thief was faster and still better duelist. I didnt even try to bunker with Weaver but that sounds stupid itself. And im not gona talk about fighting necros because we all know thats impossible.

So what is Weaver good at?

I find it easier to fight a scourge with sword. If there's two of them, I don't engage, unless they're split. I use the mobility to harrass ennemy team, forcing them to split, to bait them, since we don't have stealth a low life ele seems irresistible. In short I play it as a mobile team fighter and wannabe thief, stealing beasts, buffs, etc. Mesmers and thieves arguably do a better job, but I don't prevent point cap/decap. Often top attacker or defender depending on matches. A bruiser playstyle, but holo do it better I think.

To answer your question, I bring grace and beauty to my team, and that's pretty much it. Any other role you may find, another class do it better. But you do it more galantly.

@MyPuppy.8970 said:

To answer your question, I bring grace and beauty to my team, and that's pretty much it. Any other role you may find, another class do it better. But you do it more galantly.

I just spat some of my coffee onto my screen with laughter..... Weaver is like the GW2 belly dancer with all them evading skills.

Weaver is good at...evading and...is that it? Being fun to play? I think that's it. Oh, I know. It's good at doing the same job worse than another profession. Daredevil and Mirage dodge almost as much, but can unleash far more damage in a shorter time. Holo and Daredevil already do a +1 job better. Firebrand can bunker and support better. Spellbreaker does more damage and can almost survive better, in addition to its mobility being superior. Actually, Weaver probably has the same role as SB, but just does it worse in every way outside of survivability, and even then it's not much better at that.

MyPuppy summed it up best. It's best at looking good. It really is a visually stunning spec. That and the active playstyle makes it feel so much more rewarding, even when you lose. You just feel like you actually tried to win instead of just mashing buttons and relying on passives for survivability. It's fun! And it's not even OP. The damage could go up a bit more, even if an evade or two gets a nerf. After that, other, clearly more powerful professions need nerfs. Holo is pretty powerful, but it's not really OP outside of the passive Elixir S. Full Counter still does way too much for one skill. The AoE aspect of it needs a nerf. I suggest it only dazes the initial attacker, and the AoE damage is halved when hitting anyone else. Traits can stay the same because you sacrifice for them. Then of course Scourge and Mirage need obvious nerfs in obvious places(how did a stunbreak/condi cleanse on dodge make it past beta?). I can't comment on Firebrand because its role is nothing like what Weaver should be.

After that, I think Weaver could have a spot in the meta. I think Anet intended Weaver to be a bruiser, and I honestly feel like it is that. It's a tanky damage dealer. Its damage isn't insane and it can hold a point against one or two players for a decent amount of time. It does its role well. Just that other professions do it way better. That's really the main thing. Other professions can just do it all better. Don't buff Weaver outside of damage. Nerf Mirage, Spellbreaker, Elixir S passive, and Scourge. Then, Weaver will do just fine.

@NotoriousNaru.1705 said:Don't waste your time with weaver. It is good at literally nothing. It has no place in the meta and anything a weaver can do there is something that does it better by like 500%.

Agreed.

Weaver is only good at trying to hold points and be a bruiser, but why not just go Spellbreaker or Druid or Soulbeast or something. It doesn't have that much mobility either IMO, it tries doing everything and ends up being subpar at it all.

I still don't know why people have bound inside of their heads that weaver = sword. Weaver can (try) to be many things, unlike other specs. Every single main hand weapon got new dual skills, even the trident! I realize sword is the main weapon, and perhaps the most viable one but, when one thinks of a holosmith you don't think of his sword build, same with mirage and axes.

• Scepter weaver is a super burst oriented spec, but it has even less survivability than the core scepter counterpart.
  • Sword weaver can be played for high power damage with lightning rod, or a hybrid approach with primordial stance.
  • Dagger weaver I'm not sure what it is. The dual skills are interesting but none of them are really powerful, and having the best dagger skills (Burning Speed and Shocking Aura) locked behind a double attunement hurts A LOT.
  • Staff weaver is even more clunky than core staff so it's not worth mentioning. Has the same issue than dagger, except those are staff ele's survival abilities so it's worse.

The thing is that, there could be many playstyles behind weaver. You guys should think big instead of trying to confine weaver to one meta build like most classes out there.

@NotoriousNaru.1705 said:Don't waste your time with weaver. It is good at literally nothing. It has no place in the meta and anything a weaver can do there is something that does it better by like 500%.

Only reason why I am playing pvp is because there is "usefull" build for my favorite class. Stopping wasting my time with weaver means stopping playing pvp.

Very well played sword/dagger weaver is a good bruiser.Not so well played [insert class] is a better bruiser.

I play with 0 passive defense and boon generation (to avoid corrupts), all I can say is that it is actually satisfying either you win or lose, you can still look straight into a mirror, you know what you did good or bad. You have to carry your spec and no one will ever complain about their loss or be salty about it when you beat them up. Getting killed by a sword weaver seems fair. That's just how balanced of a spec it is.

I strongly disagree. A lot of people are saying that Weaver is trash, but most of them did not ever tried it, or think/tested build.I'm playing only Sword/Dagger Weaver, I started Gold 3, I'm now nearly Legendary & Top 40 only thanks to Sword Weaver.

• Survive is insane thanks to so many evade skills : #2 Water (10s CD), #2 Earth (10s CD), Twist Of Fate (x2)...
  • Heal is massive thanks to all the heal you can have, thanks to the water field you get with sword 2 & all the blast inside, thanks to the fact that leaving Water attunement has now only 4s CD vs 9s before.
  • DPS is decent

I'm using Menders amulet, i'm unkillable in 1v1, can hold 1v2 often, I offer a lot of heal & boon to ally. I'm useful everywhere, in 1v1, in teamfight, tanking a point, everywhere.Here is a Plat 3 video of my weaver, full game with commentary & tips, enjoy.

@Lasiurus.4067 said:I strongly disagree. A lot of people are saying that Weaver is trash, but most of them did not ever tried it, or think/tested build.I'm playing only Sword/Dagger Weaver, I started Gold 3, I'm now nearly Legendary & Top 40 only thanks to Sword Weaver.

• Survive is insane thanks to so many evade skills : #2 Water (10s CD), #2 Earth (10s CD), Twist Of Fate (x2)...
  • Heal is massive thanks to all the heal you can have, thanks to the water field you get with sword 2 & all the blast inside, thanks to the fact that leaving Water attunement has now only 4s CD vs 9s before.
  • DPS is decent

I'm using Menders amulet, i'm unkillable in 1v1, can hold 1v2 often, I offer a lot of heal & boon to ally. I'm useful everywhere, in 1v1, in teamfight, tanking a point, everywhere.Here is a Plat 3 video of my weaver, full game with commentary & tips, enjoy.

Compare it to any other meta build. What can you do better than them?

The thing is, everything a Weaver can offer is half-assed compared to what other specs can. Even in your video, there were a lot of scenarios wherein you died but a Spellbreaker or Druid played by an average player would have not.

I like Ele and I've calibrated to plat with Weaver myself but from the moment I started the season, there were always fights that I thought to myself "I would have done better in this situation if I was playing X/Y/Z".

@Kyon.9735 said:

@Lasiurus.4067 said:I strongly disagree. A lot of people are saying that Weaver is trash, but most of them did not ever tried it, or think/tested build.I'm playing only Sword/Dagger Weaver, I started Gold 3, I'm now nearly Legendary & Top 40 only thanks to Sword Weaver.
  • DPS is decent

Compare it to any other meta build.
What can you do better than them?

The thing is, everything a Weaver can offer is kitten compared to what other specs can. Even in your video,
there were a lot of scenarios wherein you died but a Spellbreaker or Druid played by an average player would have not.

I like Ele and I've calibrated to plat with Weaver myself but from the moment I started the season, there were always fights that I thought to myself "I would have done better in this situation if I was playing X/Y/Z".

That's you though... For the other guy, he might not have a class that performs better under his control, Weaver might be his main...

I agree that other classes can do things better but Weaver has the potential to fill all those roles, if you're skillful then you should be able to compete alongside these stronger builds and still be useful.

(not me though lmao.... god I love the ele class but tempest > weaver for me, I can't figure out my role in PvP other than holding far and being the belly dancer as mentioned before)

• DPS is decent

LMAO 4x DC what a legend. But druid bunker does what you do even better, though you get cool points for being weaver at least.

Mender sw/d is a lot of dps loss in my opinion, but as long as you're enjoying it, it's great :)

Sword weaver isn't terribad, it is even good, but it is not as efficient as other specs. Efficiency as a ratio of team usefulness/Input required, making it very noob unfriendly. At equal skillplay and map/teamfight awareness against x spec, you will always be at a disadvantage. Only way to be successful is to outplay your opponents.

@obcan.1470 said:So I take it weaver is good for people with loading times so long its more worth it to play "jack of all trades" instead of rerolling to better class?

You can take that weaver is worse then any other spec in any what it does. And it has loads of bugs , for example you will often get hit during evade , or you will use evade skill and get ccd , will get cooldown but skill wont go off. Stuff like that happens all the time. So if you are ready to struggle all the time , you can go ahead and play this garbage class. Only thing i can say , it is fun to play , when you fight in 1v1s , for rest its garbage. Or if you play frash air , then its fun to burst necros and guardians , but again huge struggle with warriors , rangers , mesmers. Overall in every match you just struggle around

Archived