New guardian here! Need other guardian's wisdom.

povilas.2807

Hello povilas.2807!

Let me start with saying that it all goes down to Your personal preferences - You don't need any specific weapon or gear to complete the map. Even though I'm gonna mention here one specific set I do believe is the most useful for travelling around and map completion - keep in mind that it's nice to have the chance to check out different weapons in different situations :)

If You're looking for gear for map completion Your first and foremost priority would be probably mobility. That's why I prefer greatsword/sword+focus and sometimes staff for a swap and swiftness. Both Leap of Faith (#3 greatsword skill) and Symbol of Blades (#2 sword skill) are great way of shortening your travels around the world. And this weapon set is also a nice power-based weapon set, so if You choose berserker stats - it also gives You a decent and fast ability to clear mobs around the map.

Also - if You do not want to wear Retreat with yourself all the time - You may consider taking Runes of Traveller (or the new runeset that gives You the #6 bonus of 25% faster movement speed), because guardian is one of those professions that don't have access to signet or trait or other ways to improve basic movement speed :)

I hope You'll enjoy the guardian!

I played guardian since 2013 till a few months ago.My preferred weapon was the greatsword. When the HoT expansion came my secondary was the bow. Before it was the staff (although the staff on a guardian needs a lot of understanding, I would advice the scepter with a nice offhand).I would suggest going full zerker gear. You can pack more then enough protection in your 6-8 skills (although, two somewhat protective skills are enough as you also have your virtues) So get max power for efficiency in your gear.

I love to fight with my greatsword. For the secondary weapon I tried a lot of weapons, but nothing felt right for me. So I only fought with my greatsword until I reached level 80. And then HoT came out and I was able to switch to Dragonhunter and use Longbow.

I am in love with my greatsword/longbow combo! It's really fun :)

Going full Zerker is great advice. I had the same question and people answered the same as mercury ranique already did here ^^

Guardian is by far my favorite class in GW2. I have leveled 2 to 80 (deleted all of my original characters for no reason after too much drinking), and am in the process of leveling another (for appearance purposes). The setup I've found to be the best is GS-Sw/F. I tend to stick with the GS until I need some defense.

Another thing I might suggest, unlock you signet line first. For map clearing, it's nice to have stats inflated with signets. They are some nice passives for any situation, and that is your biggest heal for guardians.

As has been stated, weapon choice is completely up to you, and does not matter for OW content. I would suggest you try out all of the weapons, if at least to figure out what you like, and what all of them do. Power vs condi is always a question too, though the true condi build is only available at level 80. OW/LW is pretty open to work with anyone's playstyle, so just figure out what you like (though I have a sneaking suspicion you will enjoy the GS, most do).

When I leveled up when the game first came out, I always ran around with the Greatsword with a swap to Scepter/Focus. Greatsword was the main thing used with the scepter being purely for when range was needed. Nowadays, if I was to do it over again, I'd swap to scepter more often because Symbol of Punishment > Smite. When HoT came out I also ran around as GS/LB because it felt so good and the LB hit pretty hard. Since the nerfs, I went back to scepter because it just seemed better. Now with PoF, I'm running around Scepter/Torch + Axe. The axe is solely for mass CC on a weapon which Guard doesn't have much of (yes I know of hammer and shield, but hammer is way to slow for open world even though I love the utility). The only problem with this is you need a condition set which is expensive to make.

For skills, getting retreat is always a good start because it will make you on average move 22% faster if used on cooldown. For traits, I'm a fan of Zeal (with zealous scepter) and Virtues (for Permeating Wrath). This lets you practically run around with 25 might in open world all of the time since you no longer need scepter to get the might, though you can always have it on for the opening burst with traps once you're a Dragon Hunter in order to stack quick might.

@povilas.2807 said:Also, what kind of gear should I craft for map completion?

I would recommend either the Berserker or Marauder attribute set if you enjoy playing with the greatsword. It's relatively cheap to craft, and has been relevant to Guardian endgame since Day 1 of Guild Wars 2.

@Jagoten.9254 said:Hello povilas.2807!

Let me start with saying that it all goes down to Your personal preferences - You don't need any specific weapon or gear to complete the map. Even though I'm gonna mention here one specific set I do believe is the most useful for travelling around and map completion - keep in mind that it's nice to have the chance to check out different weapons in different situations :)

If You're looking for gear for map completion Your first and foremost priority would be probably mobility. That's why I prefer greatsword/sword+focus and sometimes staff for a swap and swiftness. Both Leap of Faith (#3 greatsword skill) and Symbol of Blades (#2 sword skill) are great way of shortening your travels around the world. And this weapon set is also a nice power-based weapon set, so if You choose berserker stats - it also gives You a decent and fast ability to clear mobs around the map.

Also - if You do not want to wear Retreat with yourself all the time - You may consider taking Runes of Traveller (or the new runeset that gives You the #6 bonus of 25% faster movement speed), because guardian is one of those professions that don't have access to signet or trait or other ways to improve basic movement speed :)

Main guardian here since 2012.

Sorry, but mobility isn't needed anymore with mounts in open world...

Also no there are much faster ways to finish and be more effective. Just use a DPS build from qT or so. Play what you want to the extreme: it takes considerably longer (like 30 seconds compared to like 5 seconds) to kill mobs with bad builds. That's why it matters. I suggest you go for either condi Firebrand or power Dragonhunter:

https://qtfy.eu/guildwars/guardian/condi-fb-build-guide/https://qtfy.eu/guildwars/guardian/power-dh-quick-guide/

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

@Jagoten.9254 said:Hello povilas.2807!

Let me start with saying that it all goes down to Your personal preferences - You don't
need
any specific weapon or gear to complete the map. Even though I'm gonna mention here one specific set I do believe is the most useful for travelling around and map completion - keep in mind that it's nice to have the chance to check out different weapons in different situations :)

Main guardian here since 2012.

Sorry, but mobility isn't needed anymore with mounts in open world...

Also no there are much faster ways to finish and be more effective. Just use a DPS build from qT or so. Play what you want to the extreme: it takes considerably longer (like 30 seconds compared to like 5 seconds) to kill mobs with bad builds. That's why it matters. I suggest you go for either condi Firebrand or power Dragonhunter:

Remember, he is looking for a leveling build. Great help with max level, though. Another tough spot to not have a real build.

Welcome to Tyria and to Guardian! Here is a GS power leveling build for you to consider. I've only selected 2 trait lines, since I don't know what level you are and have only picked core utilities/healing skills. For the third one, think about virtues or one of the elite specializations when you get them. This will get you started learning the retaliation build, self might stacking, and aegis management. I also choose cheaper gear, weapons, runes and sigils (the superior sigil of strength can be substituted for a major, and rares can be substituted for exotics). The key to this build is to keep the retaliation up as much as possible to get the 65% crit chance from traits and the aegis up for survival. The might stacking is for damage. You will have about 87% crit chance when retaliation is up, and I used a bunch of Valkyries gear to bump up your health to over 16K (which is a lot for PvE guardians) so that you have more room for error when learning encounters.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVIQNAR7elsAhChYpQwVIQTEG3DlNDa3CtWABQ6C-jRCBQBV4CAMSlQXS1HdoGQP2fAJKRwlSQA8AAMiyDA-e

Good luck!

Archived