Should there be a GW 3? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Should there be a GW 3?

Cyrin.1035Cyrin.1035 Member ✭✭✭
edited December 8, 2017 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Should the GW series continue with an entirely new sequel? Or should GW 2 simply continue with expansions?

Some want a new and more advanced graphics engine. Some want new or more races and professions to be explored. There are so many possibilities for a GW 3, but is GW 2 enough to expand on and if it is, what does that mean for its longevity?

I personally would like to see GW 2 end its major releases after a third expansion rounding out a trilogy of expansions for GW 2. Then I want it to ultimately end its storyline on Living World Season 5 leading up to GW 3. It could set us up for GW 3 the way GW 1 did for 2.

I want to see the graphics of GW 2 advance again as it did between 1 and 2. I want Expansion 3 to open us to new lands and stories but not necessarily so many years after the events of GW 2. New features, character models, wardrobe and weapon skin types, item tiers, game modes, game and visual style, ect.

Should there be a GW 3? 951 votes

Yes, when the time is right.
36%
Red Haired Savage.5430Tiger Ashante.1792MarzyMarrs.9870Solori.6025Allarius.5670DarkSnowman.8527Preminger.2380Electro.4173Matt H.6142Jonny.6013OumaShu.4502Ragmon.6350Endless Soul.5178TheGrimm.5624Exciton.8942Arzurag.7506ChrisP.4386reikken.4961Shampanix.3928Bast Bow.2958 346 votes
No, it's not needed. GW 2 should just continue with expansions and patches.
34%
nottsgman.8206TheSlothArmada.6709Kheldorn.5123Lpfan.3578Pifil.5193Just a flesh wound.3589Fenom.9457Ghostrunner.4728SilverWolfAkira.1024OriOri.8724meeflak.9714Jahroots.6791Blaeys.3102Windfire.9726Goro.1794Neural.1824Schewe.1673derd.6413Xcorpdog.2840Mirdave.2014 329 votes
Maybe, depending on what can be added in or upgraded from GW 2.
8%
ReaverKane.7598UnbentMars.9126Rauderi.8706Alzory.7042Curunen.8729BunjiKugashira.9754Kreed.2768Alchimist.4738Malediktus.9250Konig Des Todes.2086Ashen.2907Sylent.3165notebene.3190JustChris.8139cymn.7384Westenev.5289Lightbringer.5860Enokitake.1742FrizzFreston.5290Zephiera.9804 85 votes
I can't imagine a GW 3 right now. I'm too deep into GW 2.
11%
flutterderp.7562maddoctor.2738Aomine.5012Astralporing.1957somewhatobsessed.6309blambidy.3216Khailyn.6248Lucentfir.7430Esterie.7409Turin.6921Fundor.2098Jwake.7013EchoPadder.7546Kossage.9072HardRider.2980Pax.3548Tsakhi.8124Ohoni.6057Cragga the Eighty Third.6015Vayne.8563 109 votes
Only if certain things are in GW 3 (such as particular professions, races, content, game modes, ect.)
3%
Zet.9130Stormcrow.7513Manasa Devi.7958ScottBroChill.3254mikeds.5608Ben K.6238Aeolus.3615HeadCrowned.6834Lydia.6873Thornwolf.9721Nemmar.8491Hylox.9746arielwind.8921pola.5832Luciferior.4802Bunny Is Cthulhu.7931sander.5830wickedkae.4980xXmadzillamonsterXx.7463Naminesa.7405 29 votes
Other (I might explain my preference in the comments)
5%
particlepinata.9865Jski.6180Orpheal.8263IndigoSundown.5419Ashabhi.1365Svarty.8019Karmapolice.4193Ashantara.8731Cuddy.6247TexZero.7910Kapax.3801Tekoneiric.6817Opopanax.1803choovanski.5462marelooke.9708Majic.4801Hitman.5829WARIORSCHARGEING.2637Xenon.4537Felix.7289 53 votes
<13456

Comments

• STIHL.2489STIHL.2489 Member ✭✭✭✭

Sure. In fact, they should have some kind of carry over from one GW series to the next.

There are two kinds of Gamers, Salty, and Extra Salty.
    Ego is the Anesthesia that dullens the pain of Stupidity.

• TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭

Partially when they're ready. But also when its market feasible from both a tech standpoint (upgraded engine / multi-core use).

• Cyrin.1035Cyrin.1035 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2017

@Orpheal.8263 said:
    Nope, not at all..

if Anet ever makes another game, they should make a completely fresh and new game franchise that has nothign to do with Guild Wars

Imagine if they brought back City of Heroes. (We will never forget.) NCSoft put everything behind ArenaNet and GW 2 at the time and while I don't regret their decision to back GW 2, I've missed CoH ever since.

• Yes, when the time is right.

I hope if it's ever made it will have a better targeting system. They do so many things right in this game but the targeting system isn't one of them. As someone who prefers ranged classes, the game would be so much more fun if they would just let me aim instead of selecting targets. Maybe even hit people in certain parts of the body, like full on aiming, man.. nvm gw3 add it in 2 please if you read this :D And no more dragons pls..

• Carlin Sanders.3587Carlin Sanders.3587 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2017

Yes, but preferably after the 4th or 5th expansion and the dragons have been (properly) taken care of, with Aurene as one of our new magic overdragons.

I'd like for them to also take a look at what they did right in both gw1 and gw2 and see if they can synthesize these to make an even better GW3 - preferably on an updated engine with more and better options. (player and devs alike)

also it would be nice if, like with the hall of monuments our progress was also carried over somehow. also moar races.

• Drew.1865Drew.1865 Member ✭✭✭

Yes. I hope they are working on GW3 now.

• @Cyrin.1035 said:

@Orpheal.8263 said:
    Nope, not at all..

if Anet ever makes another game, they should make a completely fresh and new game franchise that has nothign to do with Guild Wars

Imagine if they brought back City of Heroes. (We will never forget.) NCSoft put everything behind ArenaNet and GW 2 at the time and while I don't regret their decision to back GW 2, I've missed CoH ever since.

I too miss CoH but if they were to bring it back there would need to be some serious changes to it. Still, with all the progress and innovation they put into gw2, i reckon they could make CoH great. As for gw3, I personally don't see the point.

• Kapax.3801Kapax.3801 Member ✭✭✭

I will accept a GW3 if it means a new graphic engine more compatible with the Hardware of the new PCs, because currently the game has many problems ... it almost looks like a console Port.

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes pls a want a sub version of what gw2 could have been.

• I can't imagine a GW 3 right now. I'm too deep into GW 2.

When GW2 starts to look and feel old-fashioned and low-tech, they will have to go for GW3. I hope that's not for quite a while, though.

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

GW3 would need a huge engine update just to keep up on the technical end.
    Crafting, gear, and attribute progression would have to be completely re-conceptualized.
    It would need a long-term plan to avoid GW2's "agile programming" missteps that have lead to accretion over persistent game content that withstands changes to the game.
    As for GW2's story... Consider scrapping it, or progressing it so far that we don't see the call-backs like we have them now, where some plot or character parades around to be see, earns two "squee"s, then promptly dies. Stories need to dig deep, follow the interest curve, reach that critical denouement, then resolve, and that can't be done in a few spits worth of quarterly dialog. Or maybe it can. There might be folks out there knowledgeable enough to write for a specific medium like MMOs.

Not that I'm pining for GW2 to go. I've invested waaaay too much by this point. >.>

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• No, it's not needed. GW 2 should just continue with expansions and patches.

Never please.. just keep updating this game. I think that if they will ever make a guildwars 3 lots of players will leave. look at the difference between gw1 and gw2.
    Gw2 never reached the feeling and story-telling gw1 ever created. It was epic. so no. keep updating this game, improve this one.

• Ardenwolfe.8590Ardenwolfe.8590 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes, when technology advances enough, there should be a Guild Wars 3. Otherwise, no one wants to continue to play something that looks or played dated. But that still isn't the case for Guild Wars 2.

No longer posting or playing.

• Frostfang.5109Frostfang.5109 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2017

GW 3 when the time is right!

...with far more and better option to character creation, especially among non-human races. I've missed that since dawn of GW2 actually.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't mind a complete overhaul of the wardrobe system. All hail fashionwars 3!

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's too soon for GW3. It's more likely for the next game in the franchise to be a mobile game, they are all the rage now, so pray we don't get a next GW.
    I think the graphics in Path of Fire, and especially Istan, are really good and not showing the age of the game at all. Anet has done a great job in updating their engine graphic wise, despite it being DX9.

• Dreamy Lu.3865Dreamy Lu.3865 Member ✭✭✭✭

I am too deep in GW2 and far from getting enough of it.
    I keep playing GW1.
    I have really no hurry to see a 3rd GW coming, alone for a question of lack of time for more than two games. So I would tend maybe for "when time is right", with add: "as late as possible please".

Another side is: When I see how many things from GW1 I miss in GW2, and how much I enjoy when something of GW1 is in GW2, reminding me of earlier times... I believe that many players - like me - are attached to the story of GW continuing over time. If a GW3 should come, I do not want it to be a standalone without any links to the previous ones. I think that if we stay at those games for so many years, this is because we are attached to them via the stories, thanks to the continuity. I would not like it to be broken. If this continuity is not given, then it should not be called GW3, because it would be a different game with no link to the two others. It's personally not something I wish to see.

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...

• Miko.4158Miko.4158 Member ✭✭✭

its gone 5, gw1 did 7 , 2 more seems fine or it'll be empty I'd imagine. I suspect the releases bring people back not new customers.

• Dashiva.6149Dashiva.6149 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2017

Who know what the future holds but at the moment I like where Gw2 is going, both for gameplay and narrative. And if they continue with the steady stream of content the game will feel fresh for quite some time.

It is also important to me that it makes sense to go from Gw2 to Gw3. From Gw1 we had a narrative timeskip of centuries and we went from a corpg got a mmorpg

One day the game will be too old and I hope Gw3 will be there to take the torch because I love this franchise. But today is not that day, and I hope it is a loooong ways away. I think it is way to early to expect it.

• I can't imagine a GW 3 right now. I'm too deep into GW 2.

In my opinion, there shouldn't be a GW3. Why? Because GW3 would separate players too much. Some would be playing GW2, others GW3. All innovations should be implemented to GW2 and then everyone could play the game at their own pace. Of course, they could do that if GW3 is released, but honestly, I don't see a point in GW3, just because GW2 is a great game on its own and it has a lot of potential. People complaining about graphics? Come on, graphics shouldn't be an argument in an mmo when the core game itself with all of its expansions is great.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Only if certain things are in GW 3 (such as particular professions, races, content, game modes, ect.)

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    As long as they are incapable of fixing the issues the franchise is suffering from in GW2, and as long as ANet keeps their current state of mind, there better be no sequel.

actually this :\

• Yes, when the time is right.

There should be a GW3 when the time is right. It is not now, and I doubt it's within the next 2 years either. But at the current rate we're running out of map space fairly quickly unless they start reusing maps for more story. I mean, Cantha could be one expansion, ls4 will flesh out elona, ls5 will explore further into the blood legion homelands, but after that the available map space is starting to grow thin.

Other than map space? Nah, we don't need GW3 for a long time. The graphics are still good, there's still loads to do in gw2, and well, they have assets ready for 50k ap's that no one will hit in ages due to the low amount of ap's available every release.

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think a GW3 might be inevitable, but i don't see it happening any time soon.
    The only major reason for this to happen would be to hop to an improved Engine, but honestly GW2 graphics are still very current, and you can't really ask much more in that aspect than what GW2 already delivers without seriously compromising the scope of the game in terms of who can play it.
    Any other improvements can be made to GW2 IF Arena Net is willing, which they have done, but slowly. So far the only real improvement was the x64 client, which was pretty much required to end the weird memory problems they had on HoT launch (which apparently is recurring in the new map).
    Stuff like DX 12 (or 11) compatibility, better graphics options and post-processing, and any other addition that could be added to GW3 is possible to be worked into GW2.
    The game's graphics are still quite beautiful and current, and the game can still push even decent gaming rigs (mostly because optimization issues, but hey).

• pah.4931pah.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

Please god. Not a mobile game.

• Erasculio.2914Erasculio.2914 Member ✭✭✭✭

Guild Wars 2 was announced in 2007.

2007 was the apex of the MMORPG rush; back then, everyone and their mother were seeking properties to turn into a MMORPG, and people were wondering which of the incoming big releases would be the "WoW killer", the game that would break all records and redefine what it means to be a success. There was a lot of hyper for games like Hellgate: London (from the creators of Diablo!!!), Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Aion, Fury, and so on.

Now we know that most of those failed; Hellgate: London closed in less than two years, just to give one example. The MMORPG craze has passed; while we have many games with strong online elements, like Overwatch and Destiny, almost no new MMORPG has been released in the last two years, and there's no big release coming soon. Barely anyone talks about any MMORPG that isn't WoW. The genre may not be dead, but it's far, far smaller than it was ten years ago.

Is there really room for a Guild Wars 3?

After announcing GW2, ArenaNet released an expansion for the original Guild Wars, in October of 2007, and then only a very small team kept working on the game. We got a few (very good) updates, but that was it. Meanwhile, and as ridiculous as it sounds, a very vocal part of the Guild Wars community began to claim GW2 was vaporware. After the 2009 trailer, we spent 3 years with half the community saying that the game would be released in the next three months, because of course patience is a lost virtue. It wasn't exactly fun. It took ArenaNet very reasonable 5 years between the announcement of GW2 and the game's release in 2012.

Could ArenaNet do the same now?

Considering how the world has changed, how MMORPGs are almost a thing of the past, how people are less and less willing to wait, how expensive the GW2's maintenance is... Is it even possible for Guild Wars 3 to ever exist?

What do you think?

How about some anti eyes bleeding options? Here's the direct link to the concept.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2017

Deleted post since op has changed the thread subject a little

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• pah.4931pah.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

If it were to happen in the next 5 - 10 years, it would almost definitely be a mobile game. MMOs have really nowhere to go until there are a lot bigger advancements in technology (good procedurally generated worlds/events and smarter AI, to name two).

• blambidy.3216blambidy.3216 Member ✭✭✭

Bruh we just got Expac 2. And we about to do something to Kralkatorrik. You really think they are thinking about a number 3? This game is top 3 at the moment.

There’s more things arenanet could add waaaay before 3. I would expect gw3 till the next 10 years. If the Expac three is fail then maybe we can say gw3. But I really don’t think it will. Arenanet just switched directors for development so I really doubt it’s happening.

• Myrdreth.6829Myrdreth.6829 Member ✭✭✭

Guild Wars 3? Please let it be a virtual reality game...One can always dream! :D

Given the extent to which the game has been dumbed down since release, I don't think a new game is appropriate. Bring back the original gameplay...
    The graphics are fine considering that gameplay is mostly 3rd person and zoomed out to get a better FOV. The races and professions are fine considering that none of them are very robust to begin with. Right now it's a fairly simple game to play; creating a new simple game to play in some sort of GW3 will accomplish nothing more than to deplete the existing player base as they leave to chase the latest Game-That-Shall-End-All-Games just over the horizon (only it's never really there).
    Personally, I think they need to ditch the mastery points and hero points to fix the skill system -- they already dumbed down the game from what it was at release, so why add the grind? -- but that's just my opinion.

"Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with Ketchup."

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

No. Improve GW2 and release more content. It's only 5 yrs old. WoW is like what, 13 yrs old and still no WoW2. So let's talk about GW3 maaaybe around 2030.

I have too much invested in this account to switch to a new game. If GW3 happens, it will be without me.

@lokh.2695 said:
    Ever heard of WoW2? Me neither and I hope GW2 will go the same route, meaning that it will just continue with patches and xpacs. I'm 10k hours in this game, and I won't be doing this again with a different game, where I have to start from scratch.

WoW2 had it's name changed to Overwatch. Originally Blizzard was working on a sequel to WOW, then found out it wasn't worth it. So they made a major overhaul to the project and out came Overwatch.

• Alga.6498Alga.6498 Member ✭✭✭✭

No there is plenty of content we still have not seen here in GW2 and we will see alot more, I hope.

| Separatist | Nightmare Court | Inquest | White Mantle | Sunspears | Loyalists | Ascalon | Kryta | Ebonhawke | Elona | Istan | Kourna | Vabbi | Cantha | Luxon | Kurzick | 71 characters | "Rally to me, Ascalonians!" "Keep Ascalon in your heart." "May the Gods protect you." "Be blessed by the Six."

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

Eventually, sure. Doesn't seem like a good idea right now though.

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

No thanks. The switch from GW1 to GW2 was already a big step and I rather have one game in which I achieved a lot than three games in which my achievements are insignificant. This is also the reason why I only play one character.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

• eldrjth.7384eldrjth.7384 Member ✭✭✭

I think this game needs a graphics overhaul that comes with a new game engine and some major mechanics changes. GW 2 has been out long enough imo and doesnt need to wear out the cogs too much before moving on. Though I havent sunk as much time into this game as other players so a fresh start is not a major drawback.

Some changes I would like to see the most are:

• camera controls. The camera should always face the players rear regardless of input, this is the same operation as any Fps or third person shooter game. The game is needless clunky because of the unique way it handles the camera: its like character costume view is on all the time and you need to right click to change viewpoint. It should never been like this to begin with and has plague the game ever since release.

• Itemisation: granted the current loot system makes the game extremely casual friendly as one doesnt need to spend excessive time to get perfect 'rolls' on gear, it also doesnt incentivise play either and looting is the major draw to mmorpg style of games. The loot is underwhelming atm at any game mode since the best thing youre likely to get is some crafting mats to sell on TP.

More customisation of skills would be nice, like on a sub-weapon level instead of having one weapon set dictating exactly which skills a player can use. But this core design decision I guess and helps in balancing the game for various game modes more easily than other games.

• Grampybone.3716Grampybone.3716 Member ✭✭
    edited December 6, 2017

Imo keep improving GW2. I like what they're doing. Don't move a part of the dev team to GW3. It'll be like butter that is spread too thin on a sandiwch., none of involed parties will profit. Only loss. GW2 is awesome.

• Burnfall.9573Burnfall.9573 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2017

Obviously, i voted No

To those who voted Yes, what memories will you bring with you to Gw3?

Be honest

• Josh.4016Josh.4016 Member ✭✭

I'd like to see a new engine implemented if that's even possible. I'd rather they use their existing content and continue expanding. I worry a gw3 would fragment the player base.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.