im just glad this game does not use Animation cancel

Zoltreez.6435

This broken combat mechanic Bug called Animation cancel...

just came back from eso.......... NO just NO as much i adore that world design and questing in eso... JUST NO....

il hope GW2 NEVER falls into the anicancel hell that seems like more and more mmos falls into because the devs are lazy to fix it and then when they find it out they call it a Mechanic instead of fixing it.....

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:Pre-complaining about a bug in an other game hoping it never would appear in Guild Wars 2...

It's actually not a bug, a while ago (over a year) they fixed it to work as intended.

Also this game does have animation canceling. A left click in Eso is basically the 1 skill on all weapons in this game. You can cancel any animation with a 1 skill to throw off enemies :)

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Im .. not exactly sure whats the issue here?You can cancel animations in gw2, though

Yes there is animation cancel but it is not required if you want to play this game to the fullest. That is what the OP is referring to.I've also played games that had this as a core combat feature and it was not fun at all.

I believe I know what the OP is talking about. I’ve always called it “animation clipping”. Basically it’s using a skill then immediately using a second or third skill before the previous animations have finished but still getting the same full effect off all the skills used. And yes I agree games where that is the norm are incredibly annoying to play. You have to become a keyboard pianist for even the most basic of rotations just to be “good enough” for any group.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:You can cancel animations, though...

No you can't, at least not in the way the OP means.

Stowing attacks in GW2 is not a Animation Cancel in the traditional sense. Animation Canceling is the ability to cancel a attack's animation, while still getting the benefit of the skill that was canceled. In GW2 you can't do this, as stowing a skill will cancel the skill itself.

A example of a true Animation Cancel is how in Overwatch, Reaper players can* cancel the reload animation with a quick melee attack without delaying the reload.

*idk if this still works, I haven't played Overwatch since the early days.

I only know this from Blade and Soul. Practically every class had anicancel dps rotation. The thing is, you don't have to use it but the game practically rewards you for it and you have to time it right or else you're punished for it. To describe it, consider a Warrior using a greatsword or axe off-hand and frenzy and lets say there was a trait that made it so frenzy was changed to "perfect frenzy" which has an increased cooldown (120 sec) but made all your channel skills (whirling axe or 100 blades) do half its total damage on the 1st hit and made the skills instantly recharge for its duration. From that example, you'd see it's obvious that what you'd want to do is cancel the skill after the 1st hit and then keep using and canceling it after the 1st hit until perfect frenzy expires. That's pretty much the basic dps rotation of a lightning bladedancer in that game, hit lightning draw to put you in lightning stance and then get as many of your 2-hit auto until you run out of the buff that keeps you in lightning stance, canceling during the 2nd hit to speed up the amount of hits you can do within that limited time frame.

I'm not saying its a bad system, but it's overly technical to me and its the base rotation to get good damage. In this game, I feel animation cancel is used more for defense than offense. In Blade and Soul, it's used for both.

@Zoltreez.6435 said:This broken combat mechanic Bug called Animation cancel...

just came back from eso.......... NO just NO as much i adore that world design and questing in eso... JUST NO....

il hope GW2 NEVER falls into the anicancel hell that seems like more and more mmos falls into because the devs are lazy to fix it and then when they find it out they call it a Mechanic instead of fixing it.....

Combat mechanics that enhance depth and increase skill caps? CAN'T HAVE THAT!

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:Pre-complaining about a bug in an other game hoping it never would appear in Guild Wars 2...

but it has happened at least twice in GW2's history already ... necro axe and ele dagger in air. I don't remember if ele dagger was actually a damage increase or signet of restoration abuse

@Razor.6392 said:

@Zoltreez.6435 said:This broken combat mechanic Bug called Animation cancel...

Combat mechanics that enhance depth and increase skill caps? CAN'T HAVE THAT!

Right, putting all your DPS performance into a game of who lives in the right regions with the best ping is such a brilliant idea. What could possibly go wrong with tying performance to a task that lives or dies by strict latency.

@Mordalus.8146 said:I play ESO. Not a fan of animation canceling. But at least I can see the mob telegraphs in ESO. Can’t see squat through the visual clutter here. It’s been an issue since release and continues to be an issue.

Wait... you mean to say there are telegraphs somewhere in that big ball o' light?

Archived