personal enemy from LS1

Perfect.1359

OP is referring to a handful of promotional articles from during Season 1's timeframe which talked about an upcoming "personal enemy" for the player. This was first mentioned around Secret of Southsun IIRC, and stopped being talked about after Clockwork Chaos.

The "personal enemy" was Scarlet. Yeah, disappointing, right?

I think the idea was that just as the Commander united the three fighting Orders to form the Pact, Scarlet was uniting rivaling enemy factions together.

But she was hardly a "personal" enemy.

If I remember the interviews at the time, they were thinking that she'd take a personal, spiteful interest in us after our introduction and become a recurring antagonist, which they... kind of half pulled off. At that point, I don't think any other antagonist had made it through more than two encounters with us except Kudu, so the idea of a recurring villain was quite novel; it's just that Scarlet never had a chance of being personal when S1 didn't treat our character as a person. A hero shaped hole in the narrative is hard to develop a relationship with.

(Amusingly, it was kinda the other way around. We were the ones constantly showing up and trying to stand in her way, only to fall short each time. Most of S1 makes a lot more narrative sense if you treat Scarlet as the protagonist.)

I actually think Faolain was the closest we got. The Nightmare court aside she had previous history with my mentor Caithe, we got to experience the early days of the Sylvari side by side with her through the memory seeds and she stabbed our friend the legendary Eir Stegalkin. And then she came back from the dead so to speak. She was also the only hostile factionleader to appear (briefly) in A Light in the Darkness, making her stand out.

@"Dashiva.6149" said:I, as a sylvari player, actually think Faolain was the closest we got. The Nightmare court aside she had previous history with my mentor Caithe, we got to experience the early days of the Sylvari side by side with her through the memory seeds and she stabbed our friend the legendary Eir Stegalkin. And then she came back from the dead so to speak. She was also the only hostile factionleader to appear (briefly) in A Light in the Darkness, making her stand out.

Yep...shame her exit from the story was so badly mishandled in HoT.

@DarcShriek.5829 said:

@DarcShriek.5829 said:Hopefully we wont kill off Joko. He might be fun to keep around.If we want a happy ending, Joko will have to die, eventually. But we can drag it out for a while.

Can Joko die? Doesn't he just come back?

Yes, Joko can die. Liches have died before.

The trouble seems to be that there are different kinds of lich. Some of them (risen liches, dragon liches, Zoldark) you can straight up beat to death, albeit with varying degrees of difficulty. Khilbron couldn't be slain so easily, but his soul could be pulled into the soul batteries and trapped there. (Ironically, the reverse of the typical fantasy lich, who stash their souls inside an object to prevent death.)

Joko, from what we know, is at least as difficult to kill as Khilbron, given that Turai and the proto-Whispers couldn't do him in. It might be that the soul batteries would handle him too, if someone could be found to work mursaat level magics on a large enough piece of bloodstone... but other than that, we don't have any clues to what it might take. Sealing him away again is a safer bet, but it's also functionally just kicking the ball down the road for a future protagonist to deal with.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

@DarcShriek.5829 said:Hopefully we wont kill off Joko. He might be fun to keep around.If we want a happy ending, Joko will have to die, eventually. But we can drag it out for a while.

Can Joko die? Doesn't he just come back?

Yes, Joko can die. Liches have died before.

The trouble seems to be that every lich is different.
[
] (of)
you can straight up beat to death, albeit with varying degrees of difficulty. Khilbron couldn't be, but his soul could be pulled into the soul batteries and trapped there. (Ironically, the reverse of the typical fantasy lich, who stash their souls inside an object to
prevent
death.) Joko, from what we know, is at least as difficult to kill, given that Turai and the proto-Whispers couldn't do him in. It might be that the soul batteries would handle him too, if someone could be found to work mursaat level magics on a large enough piece of bloodstone... but other than that, we don't have any clues to what it might take. Sealing him away again is a safer bet, but it's also functionally just kicking the ball down the road for a future protagonist to deal with.

Like how the dragons were handled last time.

Archived