Firebrand mantras casting could use some adjustments

Rennie.6750

Using mantras is usually an exercise in frustration. The long cast animation is cancelled by pretty much anything, be it using a tome, taking fall damage (seriously?), dodging or simple 1-5 skills. I don't really mind that the cast time is long, but being locked in mantra casting animation for 2.5s really feels bad. If cancelling the animation didn't cancel the cast itself (not even dodging, there's no reason for that), using mantras would feel so much better.

@RabbitUp.8294 said:I'm more annoyed by the fact that you have to recast them with every map change and death. Especially game modes that involve a lot of instances (fractals, pvp) are torture.

Honestly, I would make it so that all mantras are automatically charged if you're out of combat.

That's what I always thought. That seems like the best way to make them more functional, without making them to powerful. They are always up, unless you use all 3 casts in combat, then you will need to recast.

The cast time of mantras should be lowered to 2.25s like mesmer mantras. Making them 2.75s is completely arbitrary.

As for the mantra charges themselves, I think they're actually in a pretty good place right now. You can use the offensive ones to chase people (Mantra of Truth is especially fun) and the defensive ones to reach allies without having to move all that much. The main issue I think mantras have are the final charges and the trait:

1. Final charges are still fairly weak compared to the two standard charges. Right now, there is no incentive to use them if you can avoid it, since they're essentially the same as the first two charges but you suffer a much longer cooldown (+ cast time when mantra is ready again).

2. The trait is actually a bit redundant. Why immobilize? The final charge of Mantra of Truth already applies immobilize. A better choice would have been for final charges to apply something support/sustain based. Some ideas:

• Protection: Firebrand doesn't actually have much access to protection. Sure, it has Legendary Lore but you won't have access to it if you're taking this trait. Applying protection would be a great way to tide the player over while they wait for the long mantra cd.
    • Super speed or long-dura swiftness: Guard lacks mobility. Adding swiftness or superspeed to final charges wouldn't necessarily fix the issue but it would certainly help players escape from sticky situations at the cost of a utility skill being on 25-40s cooldown.
    • Barrier: Probably not the best move (it would be better placed on core guard) but it would be welcome considering guard's low healh pool and firebrand's tendency to be in melee range.
    • Healing: Would be a welcome buff for guardians not running the Honor traitline (but still running a support build) and would offer another build option to support-guards who are running honor since the clear choice for most of them is to take Stalwart Speed or Legendary Lore rather than Weighty Terms.

@Klowdy.3126 said:

@RabbitUp.8294 said:I'm more annoyed by the fact that you have to recast them with every map change and death. Especially game modes that involve a lot of instances (fractals, pvp) are torture.

Honestly, I would make it so that all mantras are automatically charged if you're out of combat.

That's what I always thought. That seems like the best way to make them more functional, without making them to powerful. They are always up, unless you use all 3 casts in combat, then you will need to recast.

There are good reasons to cast all 3 charges in combat, especially the cleanse mantra, that's why the way it works currently is very frustrating.

@Rennie.6750 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:

There are good reasons to cast all 3 charges in combat, especially the cleanse mantra, that's why the way it works currently is very frustrating.

Mind sharing some of those reasons? From personal experience, there is little to no reason to use the third charge in pve and in pvp/wvw, you really only use the third charge if you're pressured into it. At that point, it's hardly an ace up the sleeve, more like a move of desperation.

The cleanse mantra in particular: It's better to just use one or two charges of this mantra at a time, otherwise you're out of an excellent cleanse for 25s AND have to spend 2.75s to recast it if you somehow survive during this time.

@Arcaedus.7290 said:

@Rennie.6750 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:

Mind sharing some of those reasons? From personal experience, there is little to no reason to use the third charge in pve and in pvp/wvw, you really only use the third charge if you're pressured into it. At that point, it's hardly an ace up the sleeve, more like a move of desperation.

The cleanse mantra in particular: It's better to just use one or two charges of this mantra at a time, otherwise you're out of an excellent cleanse for 25s AND have to spend 2.75s to recast it if you somehow survive during this time.

It's not desperation, it's a valid choice. Being out of cleanse charges for 25s is fine in some circumstances. Especially in pvp. What's annoying is that it's turned into something less than optimal because the channeling is so easily cancelled.

@Rennie.6750 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:

That's why the way it works is reasonable. You have to weigh the pros and cons of using that last charge depending on your situation. #thoughtfulplay Personally, I rarely use mantras because they are so annoying for a completely other reason ...

The biggest problems are the mantras resetting on dumb stuff like zoning or water, etc... QoL issues.

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:Your mantras don't reset underwater if its also equipped on your underwater skill bar (same with bloodlust stacks being kept underwater if you have a bloodlust sigil on an aquatic weapon)

This is a problem if you switch to another spec on guardian. The next time you go underwater, you'll have utilities missing that were previously slotted as mantras. Since I semi-frequently switch specs while in wvw, my solution has been to just slot core utilities only while underwater. Still overly annoying that I have to channel mantras again once out of the water.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:

That's why the way it works is reasonable. You have to weigh the pros and cons of using that last charge depending on your situation. #thoughtfulplay Personally, I rarely use mantras because they are so annoying for a completely other reason ...

The biggest problems are the mantras resetting on dumb stuff like zoning or water, etc... QoL issues.

Except that there's no "risk" involved, it's just a hassle.

@"RabbitUp.8294" said:I'm more annoyed by the fact that you have to recast them with every map change and death. Especially game modes that involve a lot of instances (fractals, pvp) are torture.

Or "oops I touched water" when you haven't had the chance to switch those skills over as well.

Edit: I see I'm not the only one who had that thought.

I feel that the Heal Mantra is weak, yeah it gives you Aegis for a few seconds to block the next incoming attack, but the self heal itself is grossly underpowered. I mean base without healing power, ect. on a not-vita gear build, you have 11.6K health, the heal itself only heals you for around a 10th of your total health points. Now I know someone will say, "Well you don't need to use it", and yeah I agree, but, even with it's boon application and three charges, the total amount it heals is disgustingly LOW, I feel that it needs to heal a fair bit more than it does.

@"Odokuro.5049" said:I feel that the Heal Mantra is weak, yeah it gives you Aegis for a few seconds to block the next incoming attack, but the self heal itself is grossly underpowered. I mean base without healing power, ect. on a not-vita gear build, you have 11.6K health, the heal itself only heals you for around a 10th of your total health points. Now I know someone will say, "Well you don't need to use it", and yeah I agree, but, even with it's boon application and three charges, the total amount it heals is disgustingly LOW, I feel that it needs to heal a fair bit more than it does.

well i am using celestial FB, i heal 1800 + aegis 1k heal thats 2800 per use...so 2800+2800+4600final=10200...more heal that any other heals.

Archived