AED & Gadgeteer - going solo(WvW)!

kornfanxxx.9143

so I recently came back into the game and picked up holosmith, noticing the changes to gadgeteer AED has an increased uptime to 8 seconds from 5 base, shocking aura, and a reduced CD which if your using rocket boots as well, makes for a really potent GM trait imo. obviously engineer has been stuck on using healing turret now since the dawn of man, and was curious if anybody was seeing a lot of success with it? I'd imagine with sword & shield a build like this...

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAsenUIC9dh1XB2IDcJjlKDb88keGL9ZwPYJUcZEAKPA-jFC/wAiUe8SJIA9AUeAACPBASU/5kSMC7PsZIAYCArqUVVVSBk5yI-w

would likely fare pretty well by itself. Draining sigil is pretty underrated in my opinion, with no ICD providing pretty good sustain with all the interrupts this build can bring to the table, severance bringing up the lost dps that the wanderer/commander pieces drug down. it has good boon uptime, with I guess the largest noticable weakness being protection uptime is small, but protection injection usually gives us protection when we need it most, while stunned haha.

the build can close the gap (Rocket boots & gadgeteer combo),

dps(obvious),

sustain via multiple sources of healing with AED providing a 16k heal

has good damage mitigation potential(iron blooded, elixer S proc/utility, food, spectrum shield, corona burst barrier, ect..)

tons of CC - shield 4/5 AED toolkit / holosmith 5 / prime light beam

I'm probably overstating the obvious with similar builds likely already popular. but the question im trying to make is: in YOUR eyes does the build have attractive synergy vs another common build, or more specifically, does AED seem justified with gadgeteer? what about in this instance? I know rifle is hugely popular with holosmith due to ranged poke ability to kite and spike dps, but sword is not completely out of the running in my eyes, sword 2 sucks kinda yea, but sword auto and sword 3 are both amazing imo especially with the CC and massive utility shield brings to the table arguably being the best offhand shield out of all the classes.

Where are you getting the 16k heal from? You might be a little confused with A.E.D i have myself always used it because i REALLY hate Healing Turret. You seem to be counting the 12k heal if you take lethal damage and the 4k heal if you dont take lethal damage, you will only get one of them, if you take lethal damage then you get the 12k heal but if you dont when the heal ends you get the 4k heal. You dont get both.

As for the build, its kinda similar to mine. Though i run Static Discharge instead of Reactive Lenses and Crystal Storm over Eclipse. Durability kinda seems a bit pointless, You have very little toughness as it is, might as well go zerk, the 175toughness it gives means nothing considering the fact that you still have less than 1,400 with it and the vitality isnt really needed as you would still be at like 21-22k

@ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:Where are you getting the 16k heal from? You might be a little confused with A.E.D i have myself always used it because i REALLY hate Healing Turret. You seem to be counting the 12k heal if you take lethal damage and the 4k heal if you dont take lethal damage, you will only get one of them, if you take lethal damage then you get the 12k heal but if you dont when the heal ends you get the 4k heal. You dont get both.

As for the build, its kinda similar to mine. Though i run Static Discharge instead of Reactive Lenses and Crystal Storm over Eclipse. Durability kinda seems a bit pointless, You have very little toughness as it is, might as well go zerk, the 175toughness it gives means nothing considering the fact that you still have less than 1,400 with it and the vitality isnt really needed as you would still be at like 21-22k

Oh derp I've never even used it. just figured it was an immediate 4k, then 12k if lethal dmg was taken. anyways I run durability on pretty much every offensive power build I have, the artificial tankiness you get from the set is still over tuned compared to other runes, and they're usually pretty good for just about anything. but yeah I'm just not getting used to being two shot on my engineer lol. i will never use pure zerk in wvw, just not how i prefer to play. not to mention 4 stat gear gives more total stats than a 3 stats. ex: berserk ascended sword gives 305 stats where maura gives 334.

@ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:

Durability kinda seems a bit pointless, You have very little toughness as it is, might as well go zerk, the 175toughness it gives means nothing considering the fact that you still have less than 1,400 with it and the vitality isnt really needed as you would still be at like 21-22k

There is no "magic threshold" as 1400 for toughness to be effective. Toughness reduces damage as a characteristic 1/x function. There is no interaction with other stats as it is on the offensive side with power, precision and ferocity. Thus, every point of toughness reduces incoming damage with the same amount in percentage. Means you are not only wrong with your "magic threshold" of 1400, furthermore the more points of toughness you get, the less absolute amount of damage any further point reduces.

In simple words: the first 100 toughness are more worth than the second 100 and those are still more worth than the third 100 points.

@kornfanxxx.9143 said:Oh kitten I've never even used it. just figured it was an immediate 4k, then 12k if lethal dmg was taken. anyways I run durability on pretty much every offensive power build I have, the artificial tankiness you get from the set is still over tuned compared to other runes, and they're usually pretty good for just about anything. but yeah I'm just not getting used to being two shot on my engineer lol. i will never use pure zerk in wvw, just not how i prefer to play. not to mention 4 stat gear gives more total stats than a 3 stats. ex: berserk ascended sword gives 305 stats where maura gives 334.

Unfortuantly not. You get one heal. Either you get the full 12k heal if you took lethal damage during its duration or you get a 4k heal after the duration ends. Too mean, Dura just seems a little wasted on low toughness builds. How much are you going to benefit from the small toughness? The health isnt really that important, though the boon duration will help if you build is designed with having boons in mind.

You could swap some of the Marauder stuff out for something else with toughness, that would then allow you to use a more offensive runeset. Its not the number of stats that should be taken into account, its what the stats are, thats whats important.

@Forestnator.6298 said:There is no "magic threshold" as 1400 for toughness to be effective. Toughness reduces damage as a characteristic 1/x function. There is no interaction with other stats as it is on the offensive side with power, precision and ferocity. Thus, every point of toughness reduces incoming damage with the same amount in percentage. Means you are not only wrong with your "magic threshold" of 1400, furthermore the more points of toughness you get, the less absolute amount of damage any further point reduces.

In simple words: the first 100 toughness are more worth than the second 100 and those are still more worth than the third 100 points.

I didnt say there was. Just that having low toughness to begin with kinda makes it a little wasted. You will still take big damage with or without the Dura runeset with that amount of toughness, hell i have taken 20k hits with nearly 1800 toughness before. The more the game power creeps, the more pointless Toughness becomes :/

I shall again point out, nowhere did i say there was a magical threshold. Anywhere. My point was that even with Dura runeset he ONLY has like 1,400 meaning that even with Dura hes going to be slapped about HARD against some of the more broken damage builds about. Not that 1,400 is some magical threshold that suddenly makes power builds weak or anything.

Healing turret is still the better option. I'm pretty much 100% solo roam or tail eating. Your best bet is pretty Meta, rifle, healing turret, elixir U, elixir s, rocket boots.

Scrapper gyro is also still really good for solo roam with lots of sustain, and escape.

Opinion: AED combos well with inventions reset heal on low health. You pop AED early when you expect incoming burst, then have a second one ready to go for when you get low again. Back before scrapper was a thing, zerker gadgeteer was my absolute favorite build, going tools, firearms, and inventions.

Having that bonus 25% move speed made roaming much less tedious, especially when combined with rocket boots. Goggles were my stun break / blind counter and pbr was there for interrupts. I usually ran crate for a second stun and the medkits, but sometimes elixir X was just more fun. Downside was weakness in 1vX and low sustained damage, but it could melt other zerkers back in the day. Paired with someone a bit tankier (I had a ranger buddy) it was incredibly fun.

Unfortunately I no longer know what's actually good or bad, but if you have a melee class, you probably want more reliable mobility than just boots, since they can't specify landing and you'd probably be shut down by cripples/immobilize once your boots are used.

Also, the free elixir s trait works against AED, since you want to hit 0 health when AED is up.

If I were to suggest a build, I'd say inventions/tools/holo thingy with a rifle if that's possible. Rifle gives a ranged harass and some lockdown. You can keep S without traits or switch with goggles for the blind immunity/fury uptime. If you do, probably swap the master trait to explosive charge, unless you're running with someone else who can grant stealth.

Archived