Invisible status and whispers.

While I have no problem with people going invisible to avoid contact/being social/etc., I DO have a problem with being whispered to and when I go to respond to them I get the error that the person I'm trying to whisper is not online. It's especially annoying when the person doesn't realize they're set invisible and keeps messaging you and wonders why you're not responding...

ANet, either disallow whispering while in invisible status, OR make it such that when someone who is invisible whispers someone else, the recipient is added to a temporary session whitelist (good until they either logout or change their status to invisible again) that allows them to respond without receiving the error and having to resort to resending the message via mail. (Or responding via guild chat/etc.)

Also, it'd be really nice to have a couple of different invisible status, one that's invisible to all, and perhaps one that's invisible to all except friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no problem with ANet making it impossible to whisper anyone who is blocked and from any account in "invisible" status.

However, I also don't think it's all that important. First, there's already a work-around: block the account that sent unwanted whispers. It's a couple of clicks and far less effort than a programming change. Second, even if it happened, annoying people can easily work around the restriction: send the whisper, then go offline.

For the specific problem outlined by the OP: getting a message from someone who forgot they were offline, there's also a work-around: send them mail.

But mostly, I don't think it's that important because I don't think there are all that many people whose gaming is hurt by the issue. Sure, it's an annoyance and sure it would be nice not to deal with it. But in the long run, does it really affect us all that much?

My strong preference is for ANet to make a comprehensive and thoughtful overhaul to the friends/block/status mechanics, rather than dealing with one small issue at a time.

• Confused 1

I'd be TOTALLY fine with an overhaul to the system as long as it includes that thing I'm posting about. There are a lot of things that could be improved.

In the long-run, it should be fixed and should have never existed as an issue to even be brought up in the first place. They could also just fix the problem with minimal coding by removing invisible mode until the issue is fixed.

• Like 1

@CedarDog.9723 said:In the long-run, it should be fixed and should have never existed as an issue to even be brought up in the first place. They could also just fix the problem with minimal coding by removing invisible mode until the issue is fixed.

And I'm saying: I disagree; that's not a good use of their limited resources. Fixing a series of small problems with "minimal coding" is harmful to the game's longterm health, in a sort of death-by-1000-cuts sort of way. It's far more efficient to collect feedback and thoughtfully review the entire system instead of making changes to each problem as they come up.

And that is, in my opinion, especially true in this case, because there's already an easy work-around for us as players.

• Confused 1

Agree, you shouldn't be able to send or receive from people that are blocked or blocked you and it would make sense that while invisible a toon shouldn't be able to whisper out. I do like the idea of an exception to people on your friends list though. Removing invisible mode though, no there are times you just want to do things and chill.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@CedarDog.9723 said:In the long-run, it should be fixed and should have never existed as an issue to even be brought up in the first place. They could also just fix the problem with minimal coding by removing invisible mode until the issue is fixed.

And I'm saying: I disagree; that's not a good use of their limited resources. Fixing a series of small problems with "minimal coding" is harmful to the game's longterm health, in a sort of death-by-1000-cuts sort of way. It's far more efficient to collect feedback and thoughtfully review the entire system instead of making changes to each problem as they come up.

And that is, in my opinion, especially true in this case, because there's already an easy work-around for us as players.

This is true. Their limited resources should've had the competence to not have made the mistake in the first place. :) Additionally, that means you should not ask for any QoL changes in which there are workarounds, since their limited resources could be used elsewhere.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Agree, you shouldn't be able to send or receive from people that are blocked or blocked you and it would make sense that while invisible a toon shouldn't be able to whisper out. I do like the idea of an exception to people on your friends list though. Removing invisible mode though, no there are times you just want to do things and chill.

Haha, yeah, I wasn't actually serious about removing invisible mode. I'm just tired of all the dumb things we have to "work around" that shouldn't have made it through to release in the first place. And it's not like it's a big thing, but a metric ton of little things can add up to something big. :)

• Like 1

@CedarDog.9723 said:This is true. Their limited resources should've had the competence to not have made the mistake in the first place. :)Mistakes happen and sometimes people decide on a compromise solution that has 80% of the features for 20% of the costs. Maybe ANet decided they don't want anyone to be truly invisible. All we know is that we'd like things to be different and, regardless of how we got here, it takes time/people to make it otherwise.

Additionally, that means you should not ask for any QoL changes in which there are workarounds, since their limited resources could be used elsewhere.

Sigh, it doesn't mean anything of the sort. It means: I don't want to waste their time on something for which I already have a work-around. Someone invisible whispers me? I can /block or mail them today, without any help from ANet. There are tons of other QoL improvements that don't have work-arounds that simple. Further, in this particular case, I'm asking for a much bigger QoL change: an overhaul to the friends/block/status mechanics; I don't want them to get so lost in the details that they don't have the attention for the bigger picture.

• 4 years later...

Still think this could use an overall. I'll have someone whisper me while they are invisible and am unable to respond to them. While I get this for toxic messages there have been times I am asked legit questions about the game and end up unable to reply back and assist.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Chocofox.9503 said:

Still think this could use an overall. I'll have someone whisper me while they are invisible and am unable to respond to them. While I get this for toxic messages there have been times I am asked legit questions about the game and end up unable to reply back and assist.

You can always mail them cant you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1