Winter(sday) Is Coming!!! — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Winter(sday) Is Coming!!!

edited December 7, 2017 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Word has rung out, from Salma District to the Western Commons, from Lion's Arch to Istan and beyond: The traditional and much-loved Wintersday Festival will begin on Tuesday, December 12th, and run until Tuesday, January 2nd.

Prepare your seasonal beverages, don some warm woolen slippers, and prepare yourself to take on Toypocalypse, Tixx's Infinirarium, and that blasted... err... beloved Winter Wonderland jumping puzzle. Don't forget to chill out in Snowball Mayhem, and chime in with the Bell Choir Ensemble.

It's sure to be a season to remember, so join us any time over the three-week span of the event!

Note: I'll be looking here on the forums, in our Community Creations subforum, and on the GW2 Tumblr page, for Wintersday art. I need to gather by December 13th, so consider creating even now and sharing it on our pages!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager: ArenaNet
Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

Tagged:

Comments

  • Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2017

    @Endless Soul.5178 said:
    I've taken two weeks off from work to enjoy Wintersday! :)

    I wish I could!

    All I want for Wintersday is the Shoulder Scarf (Thanks! Was back instore today!), please tell me it’s coming back soon! And don't let me down, I've been semi-obsessing on a wintersday themed mount bundle!

    Better get a wriggle on.

  • Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017

    Is there any possibility that the 10000k drinks achi is going to get Somehow reworked?

    Btw i will be definitely inside the jp and bell challenge or whatever it is called.

  • Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Alga.6498 said:
    Will it be the copy+paste again after all these years as always or will there be anything new this time?

    Dont get me wrong, I like Wintersday, but been here for 5 years and I am getting tired of doing the same content all over again and I am sure many do too.

    What about a little game with the lord of winter?
    Something like ''Lord of Winter says...''.

  • I hope this year there will be something new with wintersday, wintersday is always fun but something new about wintersday would be great...

  • Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Shirlias.8104 said:
    Is there any possibility that the 10000k drinks achi is going to get Somehow reworked?

    Btw i will be definitely inside the jp and bell challenge or whatever it is called.

    I wouldn't count on other peoples effort to farm the drinks/gold to buy them from the TP to be devalued now. It's been ingame for 2years, and isn't locked behind Wintersday.

    Better get a wriggle on.

  • Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Haleydawn.3764 said:

    @Shirlias.8104 said:
    Is there any possibility that the 10000k drinks achi is going to get Somehow reworked?

    Btw i will be definitely inside the jp and bell challenge or whatever it is called.

    I wouldn't count on other peoples effort to farm the drinks/gold to buy them from the TP to be devalued now. It's been ingame for 2years, and isn't locked behind Wintersday.

    Indeed but it's not fun to achieve.
    It's only a gold sink.

    I can accept that from now on they could move and never try something like that, but leaving the achievement as it is... But if i were Among those who completed it I personally would be glad if other players could avoid a pain like that.

  • Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017

    @Shirlias.8104 said:

    @Haleydawn.3764 said:

    @Shirlias.8104 said:
    Is there any possibility that the 10000k drinks achi is going to get Somehow reworked?

    Btw i will be definitely inside the jp and bell challenge or whatever it is called.

    I wouldn't count on other peoples effort to farm the drinks/gold to buy them from the TP to be devalued now. It's been ingame for 2years, and isn't locked behind Wintersday.

    Indeed but it's not fun to achieve.
    It's only a gold sink.

    I can accept that from now on they could move and never try something like that, but leaving the achievement as it is... But if i were Among those who completed it I personally would be glad if other players could avoid a pain like that.

    The one thing that does need looking at in the Winters Presence collection are the Essence of Mischief and Essence of Snowfall (955g and 319g respectively, following the wiki breakdown) When it was first introduced in 2015, Mystic coins were around 25s each, and the superior runes/sigils were dirt cheap because of how much they dropped. inflation has made this skin completely unachieveable for a lot of players. Glad I did these in 2015, but it is incredibly unfair for newer players, the gold sink of the 10k drinks was basically the majority of the cost back in 2015, and those prices have stayed pretty stable.

    Better get a wriggle on.

  • I'm looking forward to some rounds of Toypocalypse when I'm not living in WvW.

  • Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Haleydawn.3764 said:

    @Shirlias.8104 said:

    @Haleydawn.3764 said:

    @Shirlias.8104 said:
    Is there any possibility that the 10000k drinks achi is going to get Somehow reworked?

    Btw i will be definitely inside the jp and bell challenge or whatever it is called.

    I wouldn't count on other peoples effort to farm the drinks/gold to buy them from the TP to be devalued now. It's been ingame for 2years, and isn't locked behind Wintersday.

    Indeed but it's not fun to achieve.
    It's only a gold sink.

    I can accept that from now on they could move and never try something like that, but leaving the achievement as it is... But if i were Among those who completed it I personally would be glad if other players could avoid a pain like that.

    The one thing that does need looking at in the Winters Presence collection are the Essence of Mischief and Essence of Snowfall (955g and 319g respectively, following the wiki breakdown) When it was first introduced in 2015, Mystic coins were around 25s each, and the superior runes/sigils were dirt cheap because of how much they dropped. inflation has made this skin completely unachieveable for a lot of players. Glad I did these in 2015, but it is incredibly unfair for newer players.

    oh god you are kitten right Haley.
    did forget about the MC part.

    Poor newbyes :tired_face:

  • Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Gaile Gray.6029 Hey, is there anything coming about essences of luck? :open_mouth:

  • Every festival I check for new decorations

    Can we get a hohotron please :)

    [RED] Crimson Sunspears...your small family guild since 2015.

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017

    Since the bolded part of the OP states "traditional", I would not expect any changes.
    One can hope, though, of course...

    Cute title, Gaile...and nice edit. ;)

  • Dashiva.6149Dashiva.6149 Member ✭✭✭

    SNOWBALL MAYHEM!!!

  • Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Yay, Snowball Mayhem, my favourite game mode! :D

    My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

  • Don't forget to hit up GW1 as well. Get those CC Shards ready for the yearly Grenth VS Dwayna party!

    Wolf Moonstar
    Dragon Council, Third Seat: Jade Sea Haven (Jade) of Ehmry Bay
    My Ryzen Rig

  • Frostfang.5109Frostfang.5109 Member ✭✭✭

    I want new horns for Charr, Antler inpired!!!! Christmas is a perfect time to implemet it!

  • I am excited, I still have not ever ( in 5 years ) finished the jumping puzzle, but this year, its gonna happen!

  • Yeah, that's what I tell myself. Every year. But hope springs eternal! :D

    @Scarlett.1605 said:
    I am excited, I still have not ever ( in 5 years ) finished the jumping puzzle, but this year, its gonna happen!

    Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

  • Witch of Doom.5739Witch of Doom.5739 Member ✭✭✭✭

    More Candy Cane weapon skins would be nice! Ho Ho Ho.... Tron.

  • Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017

    @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Yeah, that's what I tell myself. Every year. But hope springs eternal! :D

    @Scarlett.1605 said:
    I am excited, I still have not ever ( in 5 years ) finished the jumping puzzle, but this year, its gonna happen!

    Gaile and Scarlett, if my old, fumbly, medically conditioned fingers can do it, so can you (It helps that I hum a tune as I go along). :)

    Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn | Zeena

    Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

  • Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017

    @Endless Soul.5178 said:

    @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Yeah, that's what I tell myself. Every year. But hope springs eternal! :D

    @Scarlett.1605 said:
    I am excited, I still have not ever ( in 5 years ) finished the jumping puzzle, but this year, its gonna happen!

    Gaile and Scarlett, if my old, fumbly, medically conditioned fingers can do it, so can you (It helps that I hum a tune as I go along). :)

    Oh my god. I can’t believe it, I’m not the only one... Fumbly hands are the worst though!

    Better get a wriggle on.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Endless Soul.5178 said:
    I've taken two weeks off from work to enjoy Wintersday! :)

    So THAT is why I put in to have the week of the 25th off. :)

    Hopefully there will be some new content this time?

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Alga.6498 said:
    Will it be the copy+paste again after all these years as always or will there be anything new this time?

    Dont get me wrong, I like Wintersday, but been here for 5 years and I am getting tired of doing the same content all over again and I am sure many do too.

    Nah lets have another 10k beverage achievement, its sooo much fun...

    Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

  • @Haleydawn.3764 said:

    @Endless Soul.5178 said:

    @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Yeah, that's what I tell myself. Every year. But hope springs eternal! :D

    @Scarlett.1605 said:
    I am excited, I still have not ever ( in 5 years ) finished the jumping puzzle, but this year, its gonna happen!

    Gaile and Scarlett, if my old, fumbly, medically conditioned fingers can do it, so can you (It helps that I hum a tune as I go along). :)

    Oh my god. I can’t believe it, I’m not the only one... Fumbly hands are the worst though!

    I call you two and your fumbly hands, and raise you my natural klutziness and a fear of heights. :dizzy:

    Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

  • Faaris.8013Faaris.8013 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Not being sarcastic here, but can I try out the JP whenever I want without waiting periods like in the Halloween's JP? Haven't been around at the former Wintersday events.

  • Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Faaris.8013 said:
    Not being sarcastic here, but can I try out the JP whenever I want without waiting periods like in the Halloween's JP? Haven't been around at the former Wintersday events.

    yes but sometimes platforms disappear so timing still matters

    HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

  • Ceridwen.6703Ceridwen.6703 Member ✭✭✭

    I did the JP last year for Winter's Presence and honestly, if I can do it, you all can too! I don't like heights either, have fingers which don't obey commands as well as they used to, have social anxiety, epilepsy and stress issues, so I really understand how daunting and annoying the JP can be.

    With that in mind, I found the following to be of great help to me in my attempts last year, although YMMV:

    Watch a few decently done YouTube videos of other players' runs, so you can figure out where to go (if doing this yourself is too nerve-wracking; I know it is for me, especially with all the other players running at the same time).

    Take your time to observe the path you want for as far as you can see it, and time when the snowflakes disappear (sometimes watching other players can help with identifying a cadence to follow). Stick with that beat. For any musicians, get out your metronome, or get your internal beat going.

    Orient your camera to the direction of the jump.

    Tune out everyone and almost everything else to the best of your ability, and simply concentrate on each individual jump on the beat. Don't fuss over falling the first few times if it's helping you establish the rhythm.

    Take your time between runs, too, and give yourself a moment to breathe if you do make an error before starting a new attempt.

    Use the midway rest platform for as long as you need to observe how the presents, wind gusts, snowballs, etc in the last part of the puzzle operate.

    Oh, if you're a large size character like a norn, pop a quaggan tonic before you run. Be kind to yourself and everyone else!

    Remember, you have the whole of Wintersday to figure this out, so don't feel rushed! It's a race, yes, but you do have a little time to figure it out before a fall. Although, if you have a few fails in a row and it feels especially annoying, quit! Do something fun instead for a bit, unless you find that you enjoy the puzzle even if you fail it - which is usually how my kid operates, and I took a leaf out of her book last year for my attempts. :) And the skritt are funny. Laugh at the skritt. At least you're not a skritt.

    Also, whilst waiting for the fun to land, I'd recommend trying Morgan's Spiral in Caledon Forest for gentle practice in orienting yourself (or even some of the vistas in the Grove will work), then try Spekk's Laboratory, again in Caledon, for the disappearing platform horrors. I don't think the Wintersday JP is really all that different to these. I really hope all of you complete the JP this year - Good Luck all! <3

    Here's to a very Merry Wintersday! :D

    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Steve R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

  • Faaris.8013Faaris.8013 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Fenom.9457 said:

    @Faaris.8013 said:
    Not being sarcastic here, but can I try out the JP whenever I want without waiting periods like in the Halloween's JP? Haven't been around at the former Wintersday events.

    yes but sometimes platforms disappear so timing still matters

    Disappearing platforms are fine, I just don't want to be put into a queue whenever I fall.

  • Evga.2471Evga.2471 Member ✭✭
    edited December 8, 2017

    Sweet can't wait. I'm going to be losing a lot of sleep over this. Not going to be fun driving an eight wheeler after getting a few hours of sleep.

    Anyway I'll manage my time so I get plenty of sleep.

    P.S. Santa Charr is going to love it. Time to hire his Asura so he can get all the gifts for Santa Charr while Santa Charr sits back and relaxes. Muhahaha

    Stay awhile and listen.
    The creator of Santa Charr that looks like a Reindeer.

  • @Evga.2471 said:
    Sweet can't wait. I'm going to be losing a lot of sleep over this. Not going to be fun driving an eight wheeler after getting a few hours of sleep.

    Anyway I'll manage my time so I get plenty of sleep.

    P.S. Santa Charr is going to love it. Time to hire his Asura so he can get all the gifts for Santa Charr while Santa Charr sits back and relaxes. Muhahaha

    Lol., Wintersday does bring out the festive Charr. (lol the 2nd Charr invasion?) I can't wait to see them all about DR and everyone for that matter. Fun to see everyone running around and kitten in DR.

  • @Faaris.8013 said:
    Disappearing platforms are fine, I just don't want to be put into a queue whenever I fall.

    Thankfully, the Wintersday JP doesn't work like the Halloween one where you have to wait for everyone to finish (or fail) before you can try again. So if you fall you can restart from the beginning immediately regardless of anyone else's progress. :)

  • Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Faaris.8013 said:
    Disappearing platforms are fine, I just don't want to be put into a queue whenever I fall.

    Exactly why I won't do Clocktower or Wintersday JP.
    Or, to be honest, most of the story instance achievements.

    ANet does not believe in "Fail Faster." -_-

    Many alts! Handle it!

    "A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

  • Faaris.8013Faaris.8013 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Rauderi.8706 said:

    @Faaris.8013 said:
    Disappearing platforms are fine, I just don't want to be put into a queue whenever I fall.

    Exactly why I won't do Clocktower or Wintersday JP.
    Or, to be honest, most of the story instance achievements.

    ANet does not believe in "Fail Faster." -_-

    But Bad Wolf says it's not like this in the Wintersday JP, so I'll definitely try it out.

  • Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I'm going to go the opposite route from what I did in October. This time, I'm going to SELL SELL SELL all the season-specific stuff rather than saving to trade for things. I'm going to be rich. RICH!!!

  • @Gaile Gray.6029 said:

    @Haleydawn.3764 said:

    @Endless Soul.5178 said:

    @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Yeah, that's what I tell myself. Every year. But hope springs eternal! :D

    @Scarlett.1605 said:
    I am excited, I still have not ever ( in 5 years ) finished the jumping puzzle, but this year, its gonna happen!

    Gaile and Scarlett, if my old, fumbly, medically conditioned fingers can do it, so can you (It helps that I hum a tune as I go along). :)

    Oh my god. I can’t believe it, I’m not the only one... Fumbly hands are the worst though!

    I call you two and your fumbly hands, and raise you my natural klutziness and a fear of heights. :dizzy:

    Funny thing, because even though it's a game, when I am doing some jumping puzzles I still get that sinking feeling in my stomach.... Bravo! ( I think? )

  • Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Scarlett.1605 said:

    @Gaile Gray.6029 said:

    @Haleydawn.3764 said:

    @Endless Soul.5178 said:

    @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Yeah, that's what I tell myself. Every year. But hope springs eternal! :D

    @Scarlett.1605 said:
    I am excited, I still have not ever ( in 5 years ) finished the jumping puzzle, but this year, its gonna happen!

    Gaile and Scarlett, if my old, fumbly, medically conditioned fingers can do it, so can you (It helps that I hum a tune as I go along). :)

    Oh my god. I can’t believe it, I’m not the only one... Fumbly hands are the worst though!

    I call you two and your fumbly hands, and raise you my natural klutziness and a fear of heights. :dizzy:

    Funny thing, because even though it's a game, when I am doing some jumping puzzles I still get that sinking feeling in my stomach.... Bravo! ( I think? )

    Aww me too. But that feeling gets better when you Complete it!

    Better get a wriggle on.

  • @Ceridwen.6703 said:
    I did the JP last year for Winter's Presence and honestly, if I can do it, you all can too! I don't like heights either, have fingers which don't obey commands as well as they used to, have social anxiety, epilepsy and stress issues, so I really understand how daunting and annoying the JP can be.

    With that in mind, I found the following to be of great help to me in my attempts last year, although YMMV:

    Watch a few decently done YouTube videos of other players' runs, so you can figure out where to go (if doing this yourself is too nerve-wracking; I know it is for me, especially with all the other players running at the same time).

    Take your time to observe the path you want for as far as you can see it, and time when the snowflakes disappear (sometimes watching other players can help with identifying a cadence to follow). Stick with that beat. For any musicians, get out your metronome, or get your internal beat going.

    Orient your camera to the direction of the jump.

    Tune out everyone and almost everything else to the best of your ability, and simply concentrate on each individual jump on the beat. Don't fuss over falling the first few times if it's helping you establish the rhythm.

    Take your time between runs, too, and give yourself a moment to breathe if you do make an error before starting a new attempt.

    Use the midway rest platform for as long as you need to observe how the presents, wind gusts, snowballs, etc in the last part of the puzzle operate.

    Oh, if you're a large size character like a norn, pop a quaggan tonic before you run. Be kind to yourself and everyone else!

    Remember, you have the whole of Wintersday to figure this out, so don't feel rushed! It's a race, yes, but you do have a little time to figure it out before a fall. Although, if you have a few fails in a row and it feels especially annoying, quit! Do something fun instead for a bit, unless you find that you enjoy the puzzle even if you fail it - which is usually how my kid operates, and I took a leaf out of her book last year for my attempts. :) And the skritt are funny. Laugh at the skritt. At least you're not a skritt.

    Also, whilst waiting for the fun to land, I'd recommend trying Morgan's Spiral in Caledon Forest for gentle practice in orienting yourself (or even some of the vistas in the Grove will work), then try Spekk's Laboratory, again in Caledon, for the disappearing platform horrors. I don't think the Wintersday JP is really all that different to these. I really hope all of you complete the JP this year - Good Luck all! <3

    Here's to a very Merry Wintersday! :D

    This is incredibly helpful advice! Thank you for sharing your tips and I'm sure I'll get farther -- maybe even succeed -- for your having done so! <3

    Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

  • Ceridwen.6703Ceridwen.6703 Member ✭✭✭

    @Gaile Gray.6029 said:

    @Ceridwen.6703 said:
    SNIP!

    This is incredibly helpful advice! Thank you for sharing your tips and I'm sure I'll get farther -- maybe even succeed -- for your having done so! <3

    You're welcome! Good luck with it. :D

    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Steve R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

  • Would it be possible to bring back the mini crafting from the first Wintersday?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.