[Suggestion] A complete overhaul of the world system to balance populations

xiiliea.9356

Here's my idea on how to balance WvW populations automatically and permanently, to get rid of restrictive worlds so that friends can play together, and to give interesting matchups every week, in contrast to the same matchups we get every week now.

First, I'll give an example in terms of player count. Then, I'll demonstrate a modification to it to base it off playtime.

Basically, this is like EotM balancing. Every week, players are put into random worlds, but they can join "alliances" so they can play with whoever they want to play with.

XUwoZT7.png

Yeah, I know Anet will lose income from world transfers, so here's a side suggestion: Make WvW only available to players who own at least the core game. Meaning no more F2P players in WvW. But F2P players get to access EotM, so it's like a trial version of WvW. This will encourage more people to buy the game instead of playing WvW free. There won't be any population issues anymore even if F2P players are locked out, since every world is balanced.

This seems extremely similar to the battlegroups concept that was leaked on Reddit last year and cancelled by Anet.

Given the current dismal state of WvW I support such ideas, but I think scrambling the worlds/alliances every week would be too much. You'd want at least a few weeks to build up some rivalries. Maybe add in some sort of round robin structure so at the end of a month or two one world can feel like the champions. Pseudo-seasons or something.

I like the idea and Caliburn's possible changes.

Something needs to be done.

Keeping guilds together while pairing them randomly with other guilds for a short time (a week or more) could be the answer. You would have to limit WvW guild sizes though. Otherwise the stacking problem doesn't go away. People would just overstack guilds instead of servers.

In hindsight, it was probably a mistake for ANET to run away and hide from the Battlegroup idea.

Archived