New Player Help

A question, seeing things from a new player who has not found a community to play with, how does one acquire HoT and PoF hero points? Surely there are soloable ways to acquire things that are bound to progress? We're not talking about luxuries such as legendaries or even specialization ascended rewards, just basic progress of the game we paid for.

Wait, are you a vet trying to see things from a new players point of view?

A typical vet is going to be able to complete almost all HC solo. I think I've completed every single one in the game solo except that triple frog one, but I might be mistaken.

The real question is whether core Tyria prepares you. In open world it does not. In dungeons or fractals (edit: or WvW or PVP), it does. It's REALLY a shame anet abandoned dungeons because we've got a huge batch of players who have no idea what's going on. Look at the hundred of responses to the "story bosses are too hard" thread. Good gravy.

There's two options: you can do it solo or you can do it with whoever happens to be around at the time.

Many hero points in both HoT and PoF are soloable, although you will probably need to make sure you have full exotic equipment, or exotic weapons and armour and ascended trinkets. You might also find it useful to have a more defensive build, with either toughness or vitality. It's not totally fool proof, you can't just stand there and take all the damage but if you mis-time a dodge or don't see an attack coming you'll probably survive it and can heal instead of being killed.

Alternatively you can do them with anyone who happens to be around. As you might be aware in GW2 you always get the same XP and loot from enemies and events regardless of whether you do them alone or with other people so there's no problem joining in when you see someone else doing a HP you need.

Another option is to use the Looking for Group tool to find a HP train. Unlike in a lot of games the LFG tool can be used for all parts of the game, not just dungeons and raids and people will often organise groups to do Hero Points. The same goes for a lot of other things like map meta-events, even collections and story achievements.

There are only a few HoT HP that are not solable. And these are remnants of older HoT design. They made a substantial nerf on things like HPs on HoT back in the day. Progress based stuff on PoF seem to be specifically designed to be soloable from the start.

Besides that there is the option of joining an HP zergs that happen reasonably often or do some WvW and unlock the HPs through there. You do not really need strong ties with anyone for these. Its just a case of joining the zerg.

I'd like to point out: while many hero points in HoT are definitely group events, enough people hated it that Anet made most of the hero points in PoF soloable. So if you need points in a hurry, go to PoF first. If you need those HoT hero points, watch the LFG for 'HP trains,' when a large group runs through a map and does all the hard ones. (Alternative method for HoT: go to the hero point, beg for help in map chat, wait and hope someone comes to help.)

@"eunoia.7184" said:A question, seeing things from a new player who has not found a community to play with, how does one acquire HoT and PoF hero points? Surely there are soloable ways to acquire things that are bound to progress? We're not talking about luxuries such as legendaries or even specialization ascended rewards, just basic progress of the game we paid for.

Something you should understand is that the expansions are designed for experienced players. These challenges aren't impossible to solo, but I wouldn't expect to solo all of them as a first timer.

That's how it was for me, initially. Forget soloing a champion, I was getting killed by everything when I first reached HoT as a new player! But this game has a solid combat system and once you get the hang of it these challenges are doable.

Here's a sample video of a bounty champion solo with bonus forged raiding party crashing the party a minute in. This boss has way more health than any of the HoT champs, but still can be done solo.

Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but feel free to hit me up in game if you need help, pointers, or just don't want to go it alone.

Archived