Is it possible to have a PvP Discussion with the Balance Team in the future?

kappa.2036

Hi Ben, first of all, i wanted to thank you. I believe that communicating with the community can only reinforce the relationship between you and your dedicated players, and this week was a step in the right direction. Several things have been discussed this week, but I think you left out the most important: balance.I understood that the PvP Team doesn't deal directly with these things, so I wanted to ask you if there could be the possibility of organizing some threads where we can communicate with the Balance Team. I personally believe that it is very important for the balance team to let their community know on what they are working on. My impression is that lately many choices have been made based on the "pve part" of this game, while PvP and MOSTLY WvW are left behind. I know that the majority of the players are PvE, but I don't think it's right for your pvp and wvw players to feel abandoned like that (especially wvw players). These are obviously my personal impressions, but i think many pvp/wvw players can agree with my statement.I think the best thing you can do is create communication between your pvp/wvw community and the balance team. Is it possible to do something like this? Thanks in advance :)

Ooo, Quaggan has an answer to your question.

@"Karl McLain.5604" said:It looks like there's some language here that can be cleaned up.Reiterating how the system works: While the PvP team doesn't handle balance directly, they and other teams regularly contribute to the conversation and work with the Skills and Balance team to alleviate pain-points in each of the game modes. The Skills team handles the implementation of changes, reworks, and splits.While we do spend a bunch of time reading the Profession forums (I'm also getting a kick out of the 'general' profession section), we do also read the PvP section regularly and discuss relevant feedback. Tomorrow's thread from the PvP team is to get more into the systems, rewards, and game types themselves. We'll discuss getting a thread like this going in the future for balance, but tomorrow's conversation is going to be specifically on the things listed in Ben's OP.

-Karl

The only big thing with balaance that's difficult in this type of setting is fighting a ton of class bias and hysteria in order to get good meaningful feedback. The pvp systems discussions worked well because everyone was working for a reasonably common goal. With a large balance discussion there'd be a ton of toxicity and especially here on the forums you'd have a ton of people with 0 concept of balance telling devs things like "thief needs to be deleted" or "add 1 million condi clears on my auto attack because I hate condi classes" and then it'd make getting good feedback or reaching a solution a very very difficult process. What they could do as an alternative would be to set their end goal on balance and let the playerbase know where they want to go with balance. (this is in reference to competitive balance vs casual balance and other such things) Now if there was a good way to do this type of discussion that could filter out some of the nonsense that would obviously come out of that then that could be possibly be a very good discussion to have.

Archived