GTX 1060 Low FPS ONLY in GW2! HELP!

Knetik.4356

I just upgraded my graphics card from an gtx 860 to a gtx1060 and I am getting LOWER FPS.

On 860: 55 fpsOn 1060: 18-20 fps

I have swapped back and forth between GPUs to confirm. I have tried 5-6 different versions of the nvidia drivers and no improvements.

Anyone have this issue or know of a possible solution?

I run an i7 processor as well as 16 gb of ram, so the other hardware has no issues. The 1060 also runs great with other games such as WoW and BDO. I only seem to have this issue with GW2!

This is strange, because I'm running similar hardware and getting 100 FPS. Normally the video card you run doesn't make much difference (and certainly not a substantial drop).

Could there be a configuration issue? What happens if you try adjusting your in-game graphics settings?

Ive tried many variations of the settings and even at the lowest settings it isn't really playable. This is the first time I have ever seen an issue like this. I would assume it was the card being faulty if it didnt work with my other games. Im completely stumped; I have been trying to work out this issue for about a month now.

@moonstarmac.4603 said:Run GPUZ while GW2 is running and see if your GPU reads x16 3.0 / x16 3.0. If it is lower than x16 then you need to reseat your card. Also, which i7 are you running? It could be a bottleneck situation.Card is seated properly and there is no bottleneck situation. My CPU runs the game fine with a lesser GPU installed. Also, this is a GW2 only problem. I have tried dozens of games to confirm and it is only GW2 that is having this issue atm for some reason.

@"Knetik.4356" said:I just upgraded my graphics card from an gtx 860 to a gtx1060 and I am getting LOWER FPS.

I have swapped back and forth between GPUs to confirm. I have tried 5-6 different versions of the nvidia drivers and no improvements.

I run an i7 processor as well as 16 gb of ram, so the other hardware has no issues. The 1060 also runs great with other games such as WoW and BDO. I only seem to have this issue with GW2!

The only time I see those low FPS numbers is when someone has a CPU only, and not a GPU. (Yes, there was thread in the forums about this somewhere, lol) Possibly meaning only the integrated graphics are being used. Which would be crap. Also I have this version of the 1060

P.S. I assume your monitor is plugged into the 1060. This someones makes a difference with this mildly janky game. D:

When the game is running what is the load on the CPU and load on the GPU? As someone said, it sounds like the game is switching to the iGPU on the i7 and not using the 1060.

What i7 do you have? What mobo? Windows 10 has the ability to switch between the two GPUs, much like NV Optimus does, this can often be forced to the 1060 in power options in the OS. You can also check the NV control panel under "3D settings", you should see a global tab and a program tab, look under programs and make sure GW2 is listed, click on it and make sure you change it to the NV card to force use of the 1060 no matter the load. Depending on mobo you can go even further and disable the iGPU in the BIOS altogether.

• 3 months later...

Please let me know if you solved this problem ! My gtx 970 died so I got a Gygabite Aorus 1060, which should run a little bit better. I had 45- 50 fps with the old card, 25- 30 with the new one ! It is a horrible change. Drivers are updated, nothing else was changed on the PC, in 3d settings the programme is recognized ... Let me know please if you managed to make it work and how.Thank you !

Same problem here; but a GTX1080. It's mostly a software problem. My CPU has no integrated graphics (there is no room on the AM4 socket die for 8 cores AND an iGraphics), but also my Ryzen 1700X is running at like 30-40% usage. Core 7 and 8 have a usage of 4% - Idling while Core 1 and 2 are on Boost...

My GPU 3D3 usage is at 50-60%. What do I get in FullHD without Anti Alias? Unstable 25-45 frames. With my GTX970 I had before? The same!

I got a massive gaming and video editing rig for over 2.000€ and everything runs on ultra now, even shitty console ports - guess what did not change much: A game from 2012.

We already figured out that the game loves to be bad at utilizing more than two cores properly. But since you have not changed anything in your system, the CPU should not be the problem compared to before. I don't think repairing or fixing files would change anything right now until a real performance patch comes up.

When I get smooth frames in Core Tyria it feels so good. The graphics have not changed much in PoF, even probably less polygons to render (compared to the massive amount of sprite flora in HoT and massive in general a much more diverse 3D environment) but still the game plays "acceptable". When I then play games that utilize my high-end GPU with Physix and sparks all over the screen and huge explosions in 4K and photorealism, I wonder why a 6 year old game refuses to run like this. I've never seen a multicore application do so poorly, as if aNet said: "Hah, in 2012, all people have Dual Cores! No need for more. Focus on that"..

I'm going to chime in and I would say that you need to make sure no settings are different on your GPU, like dual monitor, recording software. Like a feature the 1060 has and enables because it sees the hardware have it.

The next thing that comes to mind would be the amount of ram that the vid card has and how your system allocates memory if at all different from the other GPU.

Gw2 does take a beefy cpu and if your new card draws a lot of power, it might effect frame rares.Check to see if you have 2 sound outputs or disable sound from the card if ur not using it for sound.

If u haven't yet, make sure to close any programs that might interfere with frame rate. Windows Aero. Sometimes background apps and processes can mess with new hardware like a GPU.

Is your CPU throttling?

Does it have a proper Power Supply?

Fragmented HDD?

Page File?

Do you have a good stress test software like 3d mark? you could run a bench and see if your rig specs are around the same as other people with similar rigs.

Remember that just because u have 16g ram doesn't mean everything in your ram will work nicely together.

@Gwyllion Redsky.5241 said:Please let me know if you solved this problem ! My gtx 970 died so I got a Gygabite Aorus 1060, which should run a little bit better. I had 45- 50 fps with the old card, 25- 30 with the new one ! It is a horrible change. Drivers are updated, nothing else was changed on the PC, in 3d settings the programme is recognized ... Let me know please if you managed to make it work and how.Thank you !

I've had insane FPS issues as well, repair the game client (just google how to do that it's really easy) and it was fixed completely. If the game is installed for a while that tends to happen to some people.

Also make sure your PC is not running in energy saving mode etc.

@Knetik.4356 said:I just upgraded my graphics card from an gtx 860 to a gtx1060 and I am getting LOWER FPS.

Please list a CPU:Z report listing all components and please also list your ingame settings and resolution for each card ; including Field of View

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Gwyllion Redsky.5241 said:Please let me know if you solved this problem ! My gtx 970 died so I got a Gygabite Aorus 1060, which should run a little bit better. I had 45- 50 fps with the old card, 25- 30 with the new one ! It is a horrible change. Drivers are updated, nothing else was changed on the PC, in 3d settings the programme is recognized ... Let me know please if you managed to make it work and how.Thank you !

I've had insane FPS issues as well, repair the game client (just google how to do that it's really easy) and it was fixed completely. If the game is installed for a while that tends to happen to some people.

Also make sure your PC is not running in energy saving mode etc.

Ok, I have done most of the offered solutions / client repair, drivers update, high power mode, and last but not least / recommended bios settings / and it is much much better now. 50 - 60 fps with nothing happening , 20-30 when there is a big event.Which is totally ok ! So thank you all for the advice, ty very much !

Archived