What would you NOT like or want for the next Mesmer Elite Specialization?

Sodeni.6041

There are a lot of threads about desired future mesmer elite specs, mechanics and concepcts.

But I would like to know what you would absolutely not like or want for the next elite spec!

Personally, I do not want an elite spec that:

• Is based around a concept again (like mirage) where certain mechanics (like mirrors) have been forced upon instead of well thought-out mechanics.
  • focuses on phantasms. We have mirage that focuses on clones but we don't need another one focusing on phantasms. That would be really uncreative in my opinion. Also phantasms should be completely reworked for core mesmer anyway if you ask me.
  • Doesn't give us new new f-skills! Both elite specs so far have the same shatter skills (except a f5 for chrono). I want something new for our core skills! Maybe not even new shatters but a completely new mechanic.

What do you think? What would be your "No-Go" for the next spec?

Pretty much everything what you and Ori said. Nothing in the realm of damage buff support or condition focused. I also know a lot of people want to see MH pistol and short bow added as weapons for mes. However, ranged weapons are practically never placed in the competitive PvE dps category. Basically don't want to see something as range focused as Deadeye. I think it worked out eh ok for thief since they were missing a long range damage weapon. However, I believe mes already has enough options in that category.

What I would like to see? AoE dps, something mes is lacking

@Xstein.2187 said:Pretty much everything what you and Ori said. Nothing in the realm of damage buff support or condition focused. I also know a lot of people want to see MH pistol and short bow added as weapons for mes. However, ranged weapons are practically never placed in the competitive PvE dps category. Basically don't want to see something as range focused as Deadeye. I think it worked out eh ok for thief since they were missing a long range damage weapon. However, I believe mes already has enough options in that category.

What I would like to see? AoE dps, something mes is lacking

An AoE power based elite spec with a tiny bit of support (like scourge or soulbeast) and a spear as a melee weapon would be my dream! <3

And I'm also very sceptic about ranged weapons. In PvP they are good but mirage is also a really good PvP spec so I don't know. Hopefully we don't get another deadeye, since you can see how well that turned out...

@OriOri.8724 said:Anything that doesn't give us a new role. Chrono brought such powerful support that its now locked into that support role forever. Mirage just improved on the already strong dueling nature of core mesmer. I want something that is new.

This.

If we look at what mesmer brings to the game currently, we end up with:

• strong support/tank build with chrono
  • strong dueler with mirage (mostly for spvp and wvw)

The thing missing would be healer or pve damage dealer. I doubt we will see a heal or another support build for mesmer. I would assume we could see something which addresses our biggest issues: cleave and re-targeting. Mirage sort of touched on the re-targeting issue but barely fixed it.

I'd also like to see some rework of our F1-F4 skills for the next elite. Similar to how scourge got a rework for the necro shroud. F5 with chrono was nice, but removing our shatters and giving us some other type of mechanic could be interesting.

Maybe go the other way around, give us some kind of shroud mechanic which gets fueled by us summoning illusions. Change the illusions to be similar to those of renegade, have traits which reduce their cooldowns because they are now limited time wise, have a bar which fills up which we can then activate like necros do their shroud. Don;t have it drain though, losing our 1-5 skills automatically means we lose a lot of charging potential. It would make phantasm utility skills a lot more interesting to field since they would now charge our special resource while we have no access to weapon skill (when transformed).

@"SloRules.3560" said:Anything that relies on illusions. I want a mechanic that does away with illusions. Honestly i feel like spellbreaker and scourge should have been mesmer specs.

spellbreaker WAS a mesmer spec, let's be real

Guild Wars 1 mesmers were all about enchantment manipulation and interruption

everything that spec is

what was it, i didn't pay much attention to the lore:Paragons that destroyed their spears and just used them as daggers?yea, ok, the class that used shouts to protect allies suddenly became a gw1 mesmer, yea, okaymixed with random dervish skills out of no whereok

-sigh-

it's so sad

on topic, as previously stated, something that removes our clunky liability of a "mechanic", the illusions where a good idea, but they just aren't functional in half the game and it's a disappointment

it's worse than ranger pets, yet they got theirs removed first, and probably with all the additional things they added for soulbeast, ended up being more trouble than what it would have been to remove the mesmer illusion mechanic.....

definitely in favor of something more AoE oriented, given how illusions are heavily based on single target, and chrono wells ended up being a complete joke besides gravity well, it would be FANTASTIC if we could finally just press a button and actually see reliable AoE damage

probably along with a rework to Staff 1, i mean, it's called "Winds of Chaos"....... and yet it's just a bouncy ball of not-even-doom-more-like-moderate-ticklingit really should create "winds" that affect a larger group of targets... allies and enemies alikeand then would fit the AoE theme more for it, as well

EDIT:

oh my glob i'm sorry i missread or just lost track while being triggered by this classjust..... not single target spec, AGAIN, theni would NOT like something dealing with illusions again

@OriOri.8724 said:Anything that doesn't give us a new role. Chrono brought such powerful support that its now locked into that support role forever. Mirage just improved on the already strong dueling nature of core mesmer. I want something that is new.

As an addendum to my post, I have been against another support spec in the past, but I do feel like there is space for one more mesmer support spec, but a completely new type of support spec in the game. One that hasn't been seen before. It wouldn't be support via providing boons, but supporting the group by placing extremely powerful, but shortlived, debuffs on opponents. To take full advantage of the debuffs would require coordination with your team. I could get behind a spec that supported in that way, as it would be a completely new type of spec in GW2.

@"OriOri.8724" said:It wouldn't be support via providing boons, but supporting the group by placing extremely powerful, but shortlived, debuffs on opponents. To take full advantage of the debuffs would require coordination with your team. I could get behind a spec that supported in that way, as it would be a completely new type of spec in GW2.

i'd love this oml, it would bring back the old GW1 mesmer feel of misdirection, control, and domination, if they were helping their team by debilitating enemies, rather than brute-forcing their way throughi just doubt it since they're against hex-like effects, and other "skill specific" mechanical effects they used to have, for a more global, easy-to-read type of mechanic, sounds like they'd have to release a bunch of new conditions and i just.... don't think that's the way to go

if they can think of another way and go for it, i'd still be all for it, though, of course, anything to feel as much of a "Mesmer" in this game as mesmers were from GW1... like Spellbreaker.....

I really dont want another Condition Spec.....And i dont want a spec that just adds something that maybe exists in another form...(i mean in one of the videos for the mirage they said someting about merging with the environment...but this has never made it into the live version (it was an early video))....Also i dont want another button for F1-F4.....Chrono with F5 was a surprise....but replacing F1-F4 would be ok....

But i would love to see something new.......

I really like ranged weapons but GS makes not enough dmg and staff has too high CDs (i like the phantasm), also staff 1 is too slow....Sword is really nice but it lacks mobility, you can´t move with skill 2 and skill 3 often fails sometimes due to the close range, but most times because of the uneven ground, making skill 3 to a throw an illusion sword with more range but same effects would be cool....

So i want:

I really would love to see something like a really, really fast power/tank dmg double dagger spec..but not as close range..more as ranged to throw illusionary daggers and blocking options with both hands....

Or a ranged mainhand pistol spec a mix between power and healing spec like the druid has, but more like you create a well of healing that creates regeneration everywhere you shoot with the auto-attack, the auto-attack does 2 times normal chain dmg to the enemie, the thrid chain attack creates the well and you can let these well explode with skill 2 for one big heal (and big dmg on the enemies), using skill 2 without a well makes normal dmg and pushes enemies away....and skill 3 is something with clones of course, with condi cleanse.... (this is my favorite)

Or something like an illusionary domteur spec...(mace, bow, rifle)???Or something like a clown....

I think mesmer needs a spec that bursts more power damage but is entirely from phantasms and keeping them alive is how you do damage. All weapon skill coeffecients for non phantasms are reduced to 0 and the elite spec forces all phantasms to scale off precision and ferocity but at a much bigger rate than core.

id like to see something that changes the shatters altogether.. Different 'shatters' that do nothing but, well, Shatter would kinda seem/feel lackluster and rushed; but something like reticle abilities that reposition/retarget your clones/phants, or force them to use a special of some kind, would be interesting and fresh IMO.

Personally, I think it's a crime that Mesmer is the only light armor class that doesn't use daggers. You would think that the weapon would fit into their concept perfectly. Maybe the next elite spec could be a dps spec focused on the use of daggers?

I just don't want to be reliant on our illusions for direct damage. Perhaps something that can enhance our damage instead.

Archived