Had a friend try the game again

Beast Sos.1457

A year or so after launch of Gw2 I had a buddy come and join me in the game. He was a big pvp player so that was his main focus. He played the game for a few weeks and loved it but stopped due to the fact that for some reason Gw2 would give him headaches when he played it. He then tried the game again about a couple weeks ago or so and did not enjoy it at all. His explanation was pretty much when he went into a pvp match he got bursted down by some specs in not even 2 seconds. It wasnt like a skilled player bursted him down, it was the fact that he just got 10000 condis tossed on him and insta died. His opinion was that Gw2 the first year was a much more skill based pvp game than it came to be and i truly agree. Those days when you can fuck someone up as a berserk hammer GS warrior/fresh air ele/ d/p theif bc you were skilled is over. The days of spam all dmg skills to burst has arrived.

Gw2 pvp was a high skill based game mode when the combat system wasnt such a cluster fuck. Do you guys ever see this being change or have elite specs ruined the combat system or gw2?

Balance might get better, but is the power level of everything forever gonna stay higher? Definetly yes, if you just look at HoT. They kept buffing things into viability rather than nerfing what's broken, for the most part. Even though it still is a high skill game, with the exceptions of the new specs that are still not addressed (hopefully will be on next patch...) and offer braindead gameplay.

@BikeIsGone.8675 said:

@Cynz.9437 said:Well Anet needed to make money of pvp/wvw players somehow so they turned competitive part of this game into p2win.

Exactly. How could you expect anybody to buy an ENTIRE expansion every 2 years to be able to compete. Ludicrous!

So every two years your telling me you won't have a spare 30 bucks for content, or playing with new mechanics?

This is 24 months, and in the span of 24 months people won't have 30 bucks that wouldn't be put to some other pointless entertainment like cable, cigarettes, partying whatever.

I'm not gonna judge people if they have tight management but I am going to raise a brow complaining about having to buy a new expansion every two or two and a half years. That's a lot of time, and people seem to blow it slightly out of portion.

Also, p2w is assuming it is giving you a competitive edge like stats to win the game. That's not the case. It is harder to win with core, but there is a good of a plenty core builds that are meta, so that's a fairly weak argument.

You are also assuming that people go into PvP want to go into the absolute highest tier that there is to offer. Most of the case that is not true at all, so people could settle on either one expansion or no expansion, and be content pvping casually. Which is why most people fall to gold. Those are the people that can't spare the time/resources/money to optimize themselves for higher tier play, which is okay.

That is not a crime. That is literally someone that wishes to enter the league and not having to deal with the atrocities of plat or legendary. Can't really say that p2w when mmos like Aeon exist.

@BikeIsGone.8675 said:

@Cynz.9437 said:Well Anet needed to make money of pvp/wvw players somehow so they turned competitive part of this game into p2win.

Exactly. How could you expect anybody to buy an ENTIRE expansion every 2 years to be able to compete. Ludicrous!

Because other MMOs don’t require you to pay a monthly fee to even play let alone compete....

Payiing for an expansion every couple years is such a burden comparatively.

@Lilyanna.9361 said:

So every two years your telling me you won't have a spare 30 bucks for content, or playing with new mechanics?

This is 24 months, and in the span of 24 months people won't have 30 bucks that wouldn't be put to some other pointless entertainment like cable, cigarettes, partying whatever.

I'm not gonna judge people if they have tight management but I am going to raise a brow complaining about having to buy a new expansion every two or two and a half years. That's a lot of time, and people seem to blow it slightly out of portion.

Also, p2w is assuming it is giving you a competitive edge like stats to win the game. That's not the case. It is harder to win with core, but there is a good of a plenty core builds that are meta, so that's a fairly week argument.

You are also assuming that people go into PvP want to go into the absolute highest tier that there is to offer. Most of the case that is not true at all, so people could settle on either one expansion or no expansion, and be content pvping casually. Which is why most people fall to gold. Those are the people that can't spare the time/resources/money to optimize themselves for higher tier play, which is okay.

That is not a crime. That is someone that wishes to enter the league and not having to deal with the atrocities of plat or legendary. Can't really say that p2w when mmos like Aeon exist.

Quaggan thinks person you quoted was sarcastic...

@Morwath.9817 said:

Also, p2w is assuming it is giving you a competitive edge like stats to win the game. That's not the case. It is harder to win with core, but there is a good of a plenty core builds that are meta, so that's a fairly week argument.

That is not a crime. That is someone that wishes to enter the league and not having to deal with the atrocities of plat or legendary. Can't really say that p2w when mmos like Aeon exist.

Hey you never know, if they are, the response is for Cynz then, because they seem a bit distressed and misinformed that you absolutely /need/ expansions to have fun.

/Shrug

Reading sarcasm through interwebz is hard :]

@Morwath.9817 said:

If that’s the case I got trolled.

• 2 months later...

@Beast Sos.1457 said:A year or so after launch of Gw2 I had a buddy come and join me in the game. He was a big pvp player so that was his main focus. He played the game for a few weeks and loved it but stopped due to the fact that for some reason Gw2 would give him headaches when he played it. He then tried the game again about a couple weeks ago or so and did not enjoy it at all. His explanation was pretty much when he went into a pvp match he got bursted down by some specs in not even 2 seconds. It wasnt like a skilled player bursted him down, it was the fact that he just got 10000 condis tossed on him and insta died. His opinion was that Gw2 the first year was a much more skill based pvp game than it came to be and i truly agree. Those days when you can kitten someone up as a berserk hammer GS warrior/fresh air ele/ d/p theif bc you were skilled is over. The days of spam all dmg skills to burst has arrived.

Gw2 pvp was a high skill based game mode when the combat system wasnt such a cluster kitten. Do you guys ever see this being change or have elite specs ruined the combat system or gw2?

This ISN'T a skill based game, never was. For the very reasons you stated. The game was always unbalanced and will never be balanced because Anet doesnt want to enrage the imba build heroes out there.

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:New player walks into pvp (which is what your friend is now)New player dies in 2 secondsNew player doesn't know what killed him or why he died.

That sounds about...just like any other pvp game mode in any other game?

except it doesnt mean its the players fault, the game like gw2 is likely to be completely unbalanced. It woudl take extreme rigor, timely execution of patches and heavy balancing while ignorign the utcry of players who whine their scourge got nerfed.

Archived