Griffon diving - long delay to wing flap

Shonesto.2510

Easy question here. I have all of the griffon masteries unlocked. When I dive on the griffon (using mount skill 1 and not the dismount ability), it takes a long time for me to be able to wing flap (jump key). I spam it and nothing happens until I drop quite a ways. In videos I see people be able to wing flap almost immediately after starting their dive. Am I missing something?

@Cyninja.2954 said:Make sure you have enough stamina bar to start the dive wing flap. In case you double jumped before diving (meaning your griffon jumped and then flapped its wings spending the stamina) you will have to wait longer until you can start the dive.

Ha, you're probably right. I got so used to the jump and wing flap as one move and not costing stamina :)

Timing; after that initial jump+flap, don't start your dive until your endurance is at about 75%, so that as soon as you enter the dive (speed boost 1) you can flap mid-dive to achieve speed boost 2.

Also, cant tell from your verbiage; but it helps to re-bind mount ability 1 and 2 to different keys. for example, I use Q and E. they don't incur the 1sec global when you use them this way, and can do much smaller jab-dive's to get to speed boost 1 on even level ground. Getting good with the timing makes the griffon flat land travel speed 'close' to jackal/raptor; but they'll still edge out ahead. Now, and incline/decline in the terrain and then the griffon has the advantage back.

to add, yes you can just Hold space bar to activate the flap (even mid-dive) but if you are good with your timing, you can actually activate the flap at about 75% end; and flap more often. With tier 2 speed boost and activating flap ASAP (IE at 75%, not 100%) you don't lose Any altitude.

griffon flight requires a bit of finesse to be efficient; but is IMO the best travel mechanic any similar style MMO has ever implemented... at least in terms of skill/timing required. That being said, I do miss my old SWG days of actually having to defend my speeder from attacks if I parked too close 8P but the griffon is pretty epic.

Archived