Thief 1500 Rifle range, and Ranger "1500" LB range (Video Evidence Now Included)

AikijinX.6258

So are we just going to sweep this under the rug? There have been other threads about this in the past, and I am not going to let it go.

Why on earth can a ranger's Long bow "1500" range reach me, but I can't reach them while kneeling. I don't wanna hear any physics talk about how arrows are supposed to fly farther because of their density or wing tips or any of that. 1500 range is 1500 range for EVERYONE, no exception.

One theory of mine is since we kneel in the dead MIDDLE of our "1500" range circumference, that maybe cuts off some of our range threshold. It just doesn't make any sense.

Video Evidence: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y3PV577bSxRL_lw-Wxq41_3EbtTK87IU/viewReddit Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7n83db/ranger_long_bow_vs_deadeye_rifle_range_tests/

/discuss

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"AikijinX.6258" said:I don't wanna hear any physics talk about how arrows are supposed to fly farther because of their density or wing tips or any of that.

I'm sorry to say but arrows are supposed to fly farther because they are denser and have wing tips so they are more aerodynamic here see https://sites.google.com/site/technicalarchery/technical-discussions-1/drag-coefficients-of-bullets-arrows-and-spears

@Genesis.5169 said:

@"AikijinX.6258" said:I don't wanna hear any physics talk about how arrows are supposed to fly farther because of their density or wing tips or any of that.

I'm sorry to say but arrows are supposed to fly farther because they are denser and have wing tips so they are more aerodynamic here see

True, but bullets are propelled through the air at a much higher velocity because of the pressurized air from the contained gunpowder explosion in the cartridge that forces the projectile out of the barrel, thus it could easily reach greater distances than an arrow can. An arrow in the same conditions as a bullet may be able to fly farther, but that is unrealistic as the arrow would not survive the blast. You could just use a more powerful bow, but then it would become unwieldy. Fact still remains, bullets reach greater distances than arrows regardless if arrows are supposed to fly farther or not.

Yeah I think 1500 range by default would be much better, also the kneeling mechanics are bs.. How can I shoot 25% further by kneeling? I mean ok maybe I'm more precise but then it would make more sense if just crit rate/dmg was increased.I don't like rifle Deadeye tbh exactely because of these bad design choices.

Pffshht... I get the OP's problem - stuff isn't adding up, but I think I have the perfect solution...

I think every range weapon should have 3000 range, (Yes 3000!) but the accuracy should drastically decrease depending on the shooter's distance from the target.i.e. 5% chance to hit from 3000 range, 10% from 2800, and so on, up and to 80% @ 1200 range and 100% at 900 range or lower.Even warriors should be able to throw axes @ 3000 range, but they should miss all the time.

There we go.

@"AikijinX.6258" said:So are we just going to sweep this under the rug? There have been other threads about this in the past, and I am not going to let it go.

Why on earth can a ranger's Long bow "1500" range reach me, but I can't reach them while kneeling. I don't wanna hear any physics talk about how arrows are supposed to fly farther because of their density or wing tips or any of that. 1500 range is 1500 range for EVERYONE, no exception.

One theory of mine is since we kneel in the dead MIDDLE of our "1500" range circumference, that maybe cuts off some of our range threshold. It just doesn't make any sense.

/discuss

i think it is just diffrent type of projectiles. arrows fly as an arc while our bullets fly in a straight line. i think there was once a post about projectiles having more range than in description to balance the traveltime of it with casts or beam skills of the same range. might be this only applies to projectiles flying in an arc not ones that move in a straight line to the target. but the range is not the only problem with our bullets especially the slower ones (cursed bullet and DJ) are pretty often causing obstructed and out of range for no obvious reason and cursed bullet often will take a strange path when the enemy is above or below you.

Even since GW1, arrows have been affected by elevation.

Projectiles(Bullets/staffattacks/etc) have a set range and are not effected by how high above your target you are.Arrows have a projected path then drop off afterward. The path range is affected by elevation.-if you shoot a target that is below you, you have 1500+ range (or w/e your weap range is)-if you shoot a target below you, you have 1500- range (or w/e your weap range is)

Noticed this cheezing TA like 3 years ago on my thief. We went up on the side where nothing would hit us. Pistol would not hit, but shortbow would (thief)

It’s not about Arc or anything like that, example Mesmer GS AA says 1200 it is a straight line laser but hits for well over 1200 Range with zero Arc, every skill in game has a 15% Range Buffer to assist with tracking purposes, except for Deadeye Rifle it is missing this 15% Buffer.

The old forums had a link to dev post on this, There was a link in the original Bug thread that was posted in the Bug forums that is still unanaswered 3 Months Later.

@Genesis.5169 said:

I'm sorry to say but arrows are supposed to fly farther because they are denser and have wing tips so they are more aerodynamic here see

Don't mean to derail this. But firearms around the days of arrows were pretty inferior to bows and crossbows. The main problem they had was accuracy - which reduced the range in which they could be effectively fired.

Anyways... yeah. They still need to fix that.

@Caedmon.6798 said:Also made an ingame bug report about DJ not getting it's 1500 range when kneeling down.Where im kneeling down DJ fails out of range but everything else hits eventhough the target is moving Further than when i started smacking DJ.

i thought this is cause of the slow bullet and mostly happens when the target is moving away. cause the bullet 'save' the location you were at ~70% DJ charge and if you teleport closer to your opponent at the end the bullet still will start its way from behind you. so i guess the bullet already plans his way before it leaves the barrel visually and than it is rather slow and when finally ariving at the target, it doesnt find an enemy.. so out of range.then again i sometimes hit my opponents out of that white cicrle you see while kneeling if they use a leap skill shortly before the bullet arrives. so i guess the skill is actually faster than the animation(charge+travel time) and gets bugged as it tries to apply damage after the animation.

@MUDse.7623 said:

@Caedmon.6798 said:Also made an ingame bug report about DJ not getting it's 1500 range when kneeling down.Where im kneeling down DJ fails out of range but everything else hits eventhough the target is moving Further than when i started smacking DJ.

i thought this is cause of the slow bullet and mostly happens when the target is moving away. cause the bullet 'save' the location you were at ~70% DJ charge and if you teleport closer to your opponent at the end the bullet still will start its way from behind you. so i guess the bullet already plans his way before it leaves the barrel visually and than it is rather slow and when finally ariving at the target, it doesnt find an enemy.. so out of range.then again i sometimes hit my opponents out of that white cicrle you see while kneeling if they use a leap skill shortly before the bullet arrives. so i guess the skill is actually faster than the animation(charge+travel time) and gets bugged as it tries to apply damage after the animation.

Then how do you explain 1 -2-3 connecting target when the target is further away than when i started DJ ? I dont think this is due to a slow projectile but rather Dj staying at 1200 range when kneeled down,atleast it seems so to me.

@Caedmon.6798 said:

Then how do you explain 1 -2-3 connecting target when the target is further away than when i started DJ ?

their bullets are faster

@MUDse.7623 said:

Then how do you explain 1 -2-3 connecting target when the target is further away than when i started DJ ?

their bullets are faster

That shouldnt affect the range if i land Dj when people are closer to me as when i land anything else when people are further away from me.Slower projectile in this case should not be the issue.

Excelsior.

Yes, the range is weird overall. As many have mentioned, when I look at my skills and my targets move at the border of my kneeling range, it's funny to see either my auto attack, burst shots or death's judgement icon's bottom flicker, as if saying: "Auto attack bullet out of range, but if you fire a burst, it'll hit". When I inch myself forward 5 pixels everything's fine. Not sure why the distance calculation is that odd and switched back and forth.

I shot enemies clearly out of range, and then again not. Huh?

Another uncool thing is the cursed bullet. I tend to miss it because due to the spiral / twirl path it takes, it often flies into the environment. Why can't it just travel a straight line? I question the name there: Am I cursed or the one who's supposed to be hit?

Arrows have always traveled father than bullets. Just look at the history of it... Arrows have traveled thousands of years, with bullets having been a new invention that only traveled a small segment of history. Ergo, arrows have traveled father through history. Which means the same applies for video game mechanics, obviously...

@AikijinX.6258 said:I don't wanna hear about history, and physics, density, air drag, resistance, wingtips, etc.

1500 Range, IS 1500 RANGE for EVERYONE, in every scenario, otherwise give us the 1200 range that we obviously MUST have compared to Ranger LB.

Well, Ranger has 1500+elevation modifier while DE Rifle has 1500 range flat. Longbow cannot shoot 1500 uphill for instance while DE Rifle can.

EDIT: typo

Archived