Realse time ..?? GMT??

finkle.9513

On Windows (and presumably other operating systems) you can add extra clocks which show up when you click on the time/date in the corner. I have a 2nd clock set to Pacific time (and set to update automatically with daylight savings) mainly because GW2 and a few other things I'm interested in always announce new releases using Pacific time and being able to quickly compare makes it easy to work out when things will happen. (It's also because I have a few friends in that time zone and it's often helpful to know their local time during conversations.)

But also regardless of how the conversion works out no one is getting PoF early or late. We all get it at exactly the same time. The difference is it may be more convenient for some people than others. But it's permanent content - once it's released and you've paid for it you've got it forever, so a few hours at the start aren't going to make a big difference.

@Danikat.8537 said:On Windows (and presumably other operating systems) you can add extra clocks which show up when you click on the time/date in the corner. I have a 2nd clock set to Pacific time (and set to update automatically with daylight savings) mainly because GW2 and a few other things I'm interested in always announce new releases using Pacific time and being able to quickly compare makes it easy to work out when things will happen.

Woah, thanks! I didn't know that! I will add another clock too, that's really helpful :)

@Danikat.8537 said:On Windows (and presumably other operating systems) you can add extra clocks which show up when you click on the time/date in the corner. I have a 2nd clock set to Pacific time (and set to update automatically with daylight savings) mainly because GW2 and a few other things I'm interested in always announce new releases using Pacific time and being able to quickly compare makes it easy to work out when things will happen. (It's also because I have a few friends in that time zone and it's often helpful to know their local time during conversations.)

But also regardless of how the conversion works out no one is getting PoF early or late. We all get it at exactly the same time. The difference is it may be more convenient for some people than others. But it's permanent content - once it's released and you've paid for it you've got it forever, so a few hours at the start aren't going to make a big difference.

You don't even have to click on the corner time/date, but just hover your cursor over to get Local Time and a second time (and you can even name it whatever you like, such as 'GW2 Time' or 'Pacific Time' or 'ArenaNet Time', etc.). = )

• ArenaNet Staff

Yes, rest assured: All of North America and Europe will be heading into the Crystal Desert at the same time. But they'll be doing so a different times according to their own clocks.

9:00 AM Pacific Time is -7 GMT, so most Europeans will be joining us at approximately 4:00, 5:00, or 6:00 PM, which is 16:00, 17:00, and 18:00 respectively. We'll see you there! ~happy dance~

@Samug.6512 said:You can use that_shaman's countdown to figure out the exact time in your timezone.Seems I was right in assuming it would be 2:00am on the 23rd here.

I'll miss the initial burst of activity, but I'll still get pretty much all weekend with it. Will be ready there waiting for me by time I wake back up (if I can sleep, that is).

@Celldrax.2849 said:

@Samug.6512 said:You can use
to figure out the exact time in your timezone.Seems I was right in assuming it would be 2:00am on the 23rd here.

I'll miss the initial burst of activity, but I'll still get pretty much all weekend with it. Will be ready there waiting for me by time I wake back up (if I can sleep, that is).

Yeah I'm probably not gonna stay up that late/get up that early for release. I guess we can always let the patch happen overnight :)

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:Yes, rest assured: All of North America and Europe will be heading into the Crystal Desert at the same time. But they'll be doing so a different times according to their own clocks.

9:00 AM Pacific Time is -7 GMT, so most Europeans will be joining us at approximately 4:00, 5:00, or 6:00 PM, which is 16:00, 17:00, and 18:00 respectively. We'll see you there! ~happy dance~

I'm guessing ANet is observing DST and so the release time is Pacific Daylight Time so while that would be correct if most of europe was not observing daylight saving, it's actually 17:00, 18:00 and 19:00.

As an example the UK is currently using BST (British Summer Time) which is GMT+1 and we've just gone 17:00 which is 09:00 PDT.

Just trying to avoid the masses descending on the forums complaining that it still isn't out when they are actually on too early :)

Off topic, but will PCs be pre-patched or are we all going to be doing massive downloads that morning? Aka will we get patches as we go or has the new content already been include in the patches the last few weeks? Ask since facing a metered connection and want to plan downloads. Based on specs and if it uses all the space stated as required we are looking at 18GBs, but I am betting that space requirements are stated for future growth as well, but...either way that's a sizeable download. Any information would be appreciated for planning.

Good gaming!

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Off topic, but will PCs be pre-patched or are we all going to be doing massive downloads that morning? Aka will we get patches as we go or has the new content already been include in the patches the last few weeks? Ask since facing a metered connection and want to plan downloads. Based on specs and if it uses all the space stated as required we are looking at 18GBs, but I am betting that space requirements are stated for future growth as well, but...either way that's a sizeable download. Any information would be appreciated for planning.

If it's going to work the same way as with HoT, you already have whole of it sitting in your HDD if you have kept it patched. It's possible there will be some last minute patch obviously but the big part of the content is possibly already there (just look at the new Elonian faces, the preview weekends etc... or how much the .dat file has grown on past weeks).

ANet patches are always lightning fast compared to their competition. Major new ESO build? Settle in for 45 minutes or more. Whereas I seldom can finish reading the patch notes before ANet's big builds are complete. All on the same computer, connection, and general time of day chosen to load the patch.

What will slow things down will be that so many players will be trying to load at the same moment. The trick there is to launch it the moment it's available (seems to get you ahead of the logjam) and then even if it hangs leave it alone so long as it claims it is reconnecting. Browse forums, play solitaire, whatever, let it sit there "reconnecting" for as long as it takes to start up again.

Archived