Wintersday Rewards Update — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Wintersday Rewards Update

A message from Alexander Youngblood:

Three years ago I made it my mission to make Wintersday rewards much more simple, straightforward, and fun. The objective was to remove the excessive number of items that were hard to get rid of in favor of items that were either fun to use or were actually useful in some way. I'm proud of the improvements we’ve made in the past, but snowflakes continued to bother me. As you’re probably aware, we started improving snowflakes by making them upgradeable through a double-click. That simplified a few things, but it also created some inventory annoyance. This year we have made even more improvements that will help you spend much less time managing your inventory and more time having fun: There now will be just two types of snowflakes which will mirror the way candy corn works. All snowflakes acquired previously now convert into the common Snowflake, and you can convert 1000 Snowflakes into the new Snow Diamond.

Thank you all for your support and I hope you have a wonderful Wintersday.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager: ArenaNet
Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

Tagged:
<1345

Comments

• TheGrimm.5624TheGrimm.5624 Member ✭✭✭

Thank you!

Envy the Madman his musing when Death comes to make fools of us all.
    De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.
    TheGrimm PoTBS/GW1/WAR/Rift/GW2/MWO/ESO/WoT/WoW/CU/AoC

• Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    A message from Alexander Youngblood:

All snowflakes acquired previously now convert into the common Snowflake, and you can convert 1000 Snowflakes into the new Snow Diamond.

Good show, Anet. Good show. ;)

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

Appreciated!

Though.. what about our material collection in the bank? That's 5 slots that are going to need some fussing over.

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• Question about high tier old snowflakes: at what rate do they down convert? Do we get more new snowflakes per higher tier old snowflakes? Or is it 1:1 conversion for any old snowflake?

• @Knight In Shining Armor.1708 said:
    Question about high tier old snowflakes: at what rate do they down convert? Do we get more new snowflakes per higher tier old snowflakes? Or is it 1:1 conversion for any old snowflake?

I sent a note to Alexander. Either he or I should be able to answer that pretty soon.

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, but what about all the ones we have in our material storage of the various types (I have close to the full limit of material storage of each one). Do the ones above common get broken down and go .... where?

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2017

What about all the runes, insignias and foods that use all the different snowflakes? I mean snowflakes are more closely related to trophies than candy corn. How are you going to handle the different tiers of Givers gear?
    I'd rather see this go the Unidentified Gear route (as in an item you can open for random stuff or salvage for snowflakes). Sounds like a safer bet. Because after seeing Aether fractal stand in for Volcanic at T2 yesterday, i'm suddenly not comfortable with sweeping changes.

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ah, see you are on it, good. :)

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

• TY! I'm so happy! I have 500 of each tier! :)

• It's a Wintersday miracle! Thank you! (And everyone else on the team who made this happen.)

• Oh dear ... Just when I got 200 000 Flawless Snowflakes for my guild decorations. This will take a while ...

• Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭

Youngblood II you have the best avatar so far.
    Happy wintersday!

• Carighan.6758Carighan.6758 Member ✭✭✭✭

Praise Gaile!

• Bugabuga.9721Bugabuga.9721 Member ✭✭✭

Nice. Thank you for helping to clean up inventory shuffle :)

• mtpelion.4562mtpelion.4562 Member ✭✭✭

@Alexander Youngblood II.9341 said:

@Knight In Shining Armor.1708 said:
    Question about high tier old snowflakes: at what rate do they down convert? Do we get more new snowflakes per higher tier old snowflakes? Or is it 1:1 conversion for any old snowflake?

The old high tiers give you more of the new currency. One Flawless Snowflake, for example, converts into 10 of the new Snowflake.

A Flawless Snowflake was equal to 32 Tiny Snowflakes. Does this mean it takes 3 Tiny Snowflakes to make one of the new Snowflakes, or will I be losing snowflakes by trading in the higher tier ones?

• @Alexander Youngblood II.9341 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:
    What about all the runes, insignias and foods that use all the different snowflakes? I mean snowflakes are more closely related to trophies than candy corn. How are you going to handle the different tiers of Givers gear?

Everything has been converted to use the new Snowflake in different amounts.

I have a super important question for you that totally involves snowflakes.

Is that your real name? Because that's fantastic if so. Also, Snowflakes?

• @mtpelion.4562 said:

@Knight In Shining Armor.1708 said:

The old high tiers give you more of the new currency. One Flawless Snowflake, for example, converts into 10 of the new Snowflake.

A Flawless Snowflake was equal to 32 Tiny Snowflakes. Does this mean it takes 3 Tiny Snowflakes to make one of the new Snowflakes, or will I be losing snowflakes by trading in the higher tier ones?

You can no longer trade in tiny to pristine, so it's moot. Whatever you have now converts at the the new rates, which means those of us who saved space by converting tinies to pristines lost out on 60% of our potential ordinary snowflakes. :(
    (Could have been worse.)

"With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

• Hi all,
    there are some recipes in mystic forge that use different snowflakes for crafting Winter Presence:
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Winter%27s_Presence
    There is a new recipe for those elements that are needed to be crafted in Mystic Forge?
    Thanks

• From the patch notes: "Significant revisions have been made to the regular Black Lion Chest items with updates to the Glacial Wintersday Chest. Highlights include the following updates: ............
    Previously rare weapon skins are now uncommon drops.
    Previously super rare weapon skins are now rare drops."

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! =)

• @mtpelion.4562 said:

Tiny Snowflakes convert into the new Snowflake 1 to 1.

@Sojourner.4621 said:

Is that your real name? Because that's fantastic if so. Also, Snowflakes?

Yep!

Alexander Youngblood
    Designer

• Hesacon.8735Hesacon.8735 Member ✭✭✭

Can we get ascended giver's gear yet?

• RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Hesacon.8735 said:
    Can we get ascended giver's gear yet?

I'm pretty sure I saw Tixx Givers Insignia/Inscription recipes on the Wintersday vendor.

Oh look. I have a signature now.

• So trying to complete the Winter's Presence collection. Post Wintersday game release, 3 of the 10 items still report needing flawless snowflakes in the mystic forge in their in game descriptions. I already converted my different tiers of snowflakes into Snow Diamonds before realizing this. Is the mystic forge recipe actually different now? Or do I need to waste a bunch more money on the trading post to re-aquire the old snowlakes??

• Taelac.7036Taelac.7036 Member ✭✭✭

Has anyone been to the guild hall decorations trader to see if the Piles of Snow have been updated to require the new snowflakes, or do they still use the old ones?

Good luck, have fun.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sir Auris.3476 said:
    In my opinion the rate that Flawless Snowflake converts to the new Snoeflake ist just to low. This rate punishes anybody who used to store all Snowflakes in the highest possible quality. Before the patch hit we could just salvage the Flawless Snowflake to get 32 tiny snowflakes. Now I'm getting 10 new Snowflakes for a Flawless Snowflake. That's a loss of 68.75%. I don't think this is fair.

Theoratically I Just could have salvaged my 2,000 Flawless Snowflakes and get 64,000 Tiny Snowflakes. Now I'm just getting 20,000 of the new Snowflakes.

I can understand that converting 1 Flawless Snowflake to 32 new Snowflakes could be a market crasher. But 1:10 doesn't feel right.

This is exactly it, can someone at ArenaNet address why they thought that effectively deleting over two thirds of the value of an item was OK?

I have 569 flawless Snowflakes in my bank ATM, that's apparently going to get me 5,690 new Snowflakes, not the 18,208 it should be worth.

• How do I get an arctic fox mini?

• Bugabuga.9721Bugabuga.9721 Member ✭✭✭

The good feeling is gone :disappointed:

That is a misleading way to phrase it because it is no longer true. One Flawless snowflake no longer equals 32 Tiny Snowflakes.
    One Flawless Snowflake is equal to 10 Snowflakes. There is no way to acquire the old Snowflakes so their old values are not relevant when asking what a Flawless Snowflake is worth.

a) Trading post?
    b) Inventory?

This sounds really bad. I guess those who didn't combine them before win and those who did (because inventory crunch) get punished by 2/3rd of the snowflake value. Why? :anguished:

• I didn't think about the Trading Post... early awareness exploitation is certainly possible unless all snowflake transactions were nullified and made impossible with the patch.

Let's be neighbours.

• Yeah ... this is utter crap. Of course the majority of people upgraded to Pristines, they were the 'go to' currency before.

I get it, there's no way to change back Pristines now ... but that doesn't answer why the decision was made to screw over everyone with the exchange.

• @DeadTreeJig.6714 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:
    I'm sorry, but I'm don't understand how "the old high tiers give you more of the new currency".

1 tiny Snowflake = 1 new Snowflake.
    1 Flawless Snowflake = 32 Tiny Snowflakes = 10 new Snowflakes. Not 32.

That is a misleading way to phrase it because it is no longer true. One Flawless snowflake no longer equals 32 Tiny Snowflakes.
    One Flawless Snowflake is equal to 10 Snowflakes. There is no way to acquire the old Snowflakes so their old values are not relevant when asking what a Flawless Snowflake is worth.

Semantics. The fact is Anet devalued the flawless snowflake.

But they also adjusted the market value with the new currency.

Folks, please look at the recipes and vendor uses to evaluate how far your "old" currency is still going by applying the conversion factors. Nobody is being ripped off with this economic change.

Let's be neighbours.

• @DeadTreeJig.6714 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:
    I'm sorry, but I'm don't understand how "the old high tiers give you more of the new currency".

1 tiny Snowflake = 1 new Snowflake.
    1 Flawless Snowflake = 32 Tiny Snowflakes = 10 new Snowflakes. Not 32.

Semantics. The fact is Anet devalued the flawless snowflake.

In fact, the value of all flakes increased on the TP. The pristines just didn't increase by as much.

"With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

• Yasi.9065Yasi.9065 Member ✭✭✭

@Mikal Dynath.6195 said:
    Yeah ... this is utter crap. Of course the majority of people upgraded to Pristines, they were the 'go to' currency before.

I get it, there's no way to change back Pristines now ... but that doesn't answer why the decision was made to screw over everyone with the exchange.

Because it probably was easier to look at the amount of snowflakes already in the game and go from there to find a proper conversion rate, then the other way around.

Sorry, I dont see the problem. Since you cant convert to tiny back anymore, nobody got "screwed". If you still could do that AND the conversion rates would be like that, then yes. But thats not the case. You'd rather have had other conversion rates? The result would have been "3 tiny convert to 1 new", leaving you hanging if you have 2 left.

No, this is fine as it is.

<1345
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.