Which class to play?

Notsure.7028

Hello All, I know this is not a question really that others can answer, but im hoping that people with more experience playing the game can give me some input that will guide me to the decision I have to make.

With so much to do in GW2, and considering legendary gear / ascended gear timesinks, Im not sure which class to main. I feel that I need to main only 1 claass for several reasons:

1. Im an altoholic. I love every class in the game.
    1. I have only unlocked Scourge, Holosmith, and Firebrand elite specs for PoF and I find that Scourge has the highest survivability compared to the others. I am intrigued by the other elite specs for PoF, andwould love to try them but dont want to have to keep leveling up toons just to try out the elite spec.
  2. Currently ive been focused on story missions / map clearing, but I am anxious to starty getting scended gear. I have 39 laurels so I can get something, but I would like tos tart working towards a set. The problem is, I need a main to focus on.
  3. I find that I am almost completely unable to make money in the game. I will do more research on suggestions and guides, but so far ive bene playing for a week now, and in that week I have made a grand total of like 5g. How in the world do you make money for the stuff I need to craft ascended gear?Ive been selling everything I can to TP, with the exception of trade goods. I keep those in case I ever want to do more crafting.

My Necro has the most gear and I am most comfortable with Scourge, but I also like Firebrand as well. My Guardian has 63% world completion, and my necro is like 52%. My other alts are far below that lol. I only have the first 5 or 6 traits unlocked on either spec so I don't yet know what the specs are fully capable of doing since I don't have the skills to use. Judging from the cost of the traits in the elite specs it will be quite a while before I fully unlock the PoF spec (I never did unlock all of the HoT traits)

My concern is that if I keep jumping on different toons, Ill never actually get anywhere since a lot of these things at end game take so much time and grind to get (I don't mind grind, I don't want everything handed to me, but I also don't have 5 hours every day to play this game anymore)

I appreciate all constructive feedback!

Personally, I think Guardian would be better for raiding (not too sure, but I think it is more accepted than necro) If you are wanting the PvE legendary armor. As for ascended gear, focus on trinkets first, then weapons, then armor. Buy the discounted amulet from WvW (Saves laurels with badges of honor) and the backpiece you can get pretty easy from a PoF collection (the ascended banners). Rings you get from fractals. Just do T1 daily for pristine fractal relics and use them to buy the specific ascended ring you want (or if you are lucky, you might get the ring you want from a fractal drop). Accessories you get from farming Living World Season 3. Bloodstone Fen, Bitterfrost. Weapons and armor are harder. Weapons you can do the Caladbolg side story for an ascended weapon (there are only 5 different weapons to choose from though, so it might not be the one you use). And you can get weapons chest from Tequatl and random drops and fractals. I got a weapons chest from farming Silverwastes once :)You can also craft weapons and armor, but it takes a lot of gold, or you can just farm the mats instead. It only cost me 2 gold to craft ascended leggings cause I already had most of the mats - so it depends on what you have. For crafting, you need your crafting discipline to 500 though.Also, there are some collections for ascended armor, but they are usually expensive and/or take a really long time.Hope this helps :)

0 /You can try every skill by go to pvp hall. Even with level 2 character, once you go to pvp hall, you will temporary boosted to level 80 with every skills and elites unlocked !Although you can't test them in ... real situation, test skills with training dummy is still good, i guess ?

1/ For PvE in general, i think Staff Daredevil Thief is very good:-It's use power gear, which is cheaper and easier to get than condi gear. Also if you don't desperate for fractal, ascended gear is not yet need, exotic gear is enough (which is only 5-10% weaker than ascended)-Although we have mount now so the speed out of combat between DD and other classes is the same, the speed boost from the dash of DD is still very valuable in open world. Also you have steatlh.-Have good quick reliable damage that do not need to ramp up or some other conditions (like target size or not moving, ...), good sustain hp by lifeleech

2/ As for money making, you should try to do the meta even in Heart of Thorn maps:-Kill at least 1 night boss in Verdant Brink everyday. It cost you only 5' and give you ~2g (choose the amalgated gemstone from the hero choice chest)-Do the Auric Basin Octovine meta. I think it will give you 3-5g depend on your luck with black diamond for ~20'-Do fractal, you can do tier 1 to get a feel with it, and when you have more ascended gear, go to higher tier-3 methods above is the ones i think is best with gold/time and not boring. You can do the RIBA silverwaste if you want to grind gold but this one is ... i think is boring so i don't know much about it, just hear people say it is good

Remember that all ascended pieces are account bound and not character bound, so you can swap them around between characters as you like :) The only difficult part comes if you want to swap from a power toon to a condi toon (however, armor and weapon pieces can have their stats rerolled in the mystic forge, like Drako said). :P Also. legendaries has the same stats as ascended, so no need to rush them for that matter (you can, however, swap legendaries' stats as you like when you're out of combat ... Which is nice, obviously) :) But since their stats are no different from ascended I refuse to get the legendary longbow cause I certainly want something cooler than a flower power bow... I settle for my ascended LB until they release something a little bit more badass.Dont worry about not having all the elite specs, once you start working on map completion in HoT and PoF content you'll get it rather quickly (alternatively, you can play loads of WvW and use the HP tokens there for random HP in HoF or HoT).

As for which class you "should" main, I can't really give you too much input about your classes of choice since I've basically only played necromancer and ranger seriously. I played mesmer during launch, but have not touched them ever since - and they are hardly the same nowdays. As for guardian, I never actually played one. XDBut I can give you a small hint of the professions I actually know something about:My personal favorite is ranger - for more difficult solo content and PvP (like certain HoT HPs.......) I play druid and for everything else I play Soulbeast. The feeling of being able to adapt to whatever content I am playing at the moment makes all the difference in the world to me. This class is also one of few that can get away with playing with pretty much any weapon. I myself prefer power builds since I run a lot of "easy" content and power gets the job done quicker than condi (especially after 12/12) so I usually use longbow with a greatsword or sword and axe.Necromancer was my main a while during HoF - the reason behind this being their absolutely ridiculously strong open world play style. They are tanky even with full zerker, deal loads of damage and you generally feel kinda awesome being a master of death and all that. I played Reaper though, not Scourge. Their melee Death Shroud really felt satisfying for me. I had all the tankiness and damage required to deal with most content solo without any problem at all.

Now, I have no idea if this is actually going to help you out or if you've already made your decision, but I hope that you find a profession suitable for you! Happy hunting :D

I am finding that my concern when creating this thread was for raids / fractals (I refuse to play pvp, I have less than no interest in pvp) and playing a class that wouldnt be wanted and have a hard time getting a group. That being said I find that map completion and story alone is going to carry me for the next couple of months so now my main concern is survivability in OW. I found that elementalist (with a full zerker build which is probably my main problem) had less than zero survivability so I shelved that toon.

My guardian is not bad, decent survivability and DPS, however recently I am becoming bored playing him so I switched back to my necro. My necro is darn near unkillable so I may switch back to my necro. I want to focus on one class until 100% map completion

Thanks for the tips everyone!

@"Notsure.7028" said:I am finding that my concern when creating this thread was for raids / fractals (I refuse to play pvp, I have less than no interest in pvp) and playing a class that wouldnt be wanted and have a hard time getting a group. That being said I find that map completion and story alone is going to carry me for the next couple of months so now my main concern is survivability in OW. I found that elementalist (with a full zerker build which is probably my main problem) had less than zero survivability so I shelved that toon.

My guardian is not bad, decent survivability and DPS, however recently I am becoming bored playing him so I switched back to my necro. My necro is darn near unkillable so I may switch back to my necro. I want to focus on one class until 100% map completion

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Ele is actually very survivable, but the skill floor tends to be a bit higher than simpler classes. I say simpler solely because ele has 4 attunements with 5 skills each, unlike other classes. Zerker ele on staff is a "dont get hit" class, while on scepter / focus it negates a lot of incoming damage. Dagger / focus and dagger / dagger are also quite viable for PVE. It just takes a little attunement dancing and being familiar with timing your attacks.

As for fun characters, mesmers are definitely fun to play; the combo abilities on chronomancer are superb and their skill ceiling is high. Warriors are simple, high survivability, high damage characters with a low skill floor, but in my opinion are extremely fun to play just due to the sheer amount of weapons they can use.

And yes, do try out the PVP lobby, you'll get all the traitlines unlocked and all your gear is upleveled as well. You can buy extremely cheap weapons from vendors there to test out your skills against NPCs in the lobby and see what you like best before committing to a class.

Archived