Why nerf steady focus in PvE?

Zenith.7301

You straight up washed out any positive changes to the power weapons by nerfing this trait to projectiles only, and placing a 600 range threshold that will never be used in PvE.

Why remove one more useful damage modifier from power rangers when the power spec for rangers is already in a dreadful place?

@Lahmia.2193 said:What if I told you, those power weapon buffs were put in place because of this removal. Just as necro axe got damage buffs because they removed unholy fevor.

Which is laughable because those power buffs didn't need to be attenuated with nerfs somewhere else. They're not even enough to make necro and ranger power specs competitive in PvE.

because they wont do the math, yeah just tested, buffs to the weapons wont even cover the dmg lost from the trait(did sword+axe and both longbow and gs on swap, with beastmastery and skirmishing with marksmanship) i mean soon there is no reason to run marksmanship in pve if they ever touch the top gm and not make other 2 ones viable. there is not a single other trait in whole line that would actually increase power dps other than self buffing with boons.

@santso.9201 said:because they wont do the math, yeah just tested, buffs to the weapons wont even cover the dmg lost from the trait(did sword+axe and both longbow and gs on swap, with beastmastery and skirmishing with marksmanship) i mean soon there is no reason to run marksmanship in pve if they ever touch the top gm and not make other 2 ones viable. there is not a single other trait in whole line that would actually increase power dps other than self buffing with boons.

The changes to Moment of Clarity on defiance bars means you can reliably get the attack of oppopertunity buff on greatsword attacks using hilth bash and gazelle daze, and thus increasing maul damage (and again use AoO from maul to increase Wordly Impact etc.). I'm not saying it's better than the old Steady Focus, but it's something that increase dps in a greatsword build as opposed to no trait at all. The longbow version got nerfed.

It's a shame, the buffs were steps in a right direction, then they change a 10 % modifier. They also forget to buff the two first sword autos which also needed some extra damage.

@Lahmia.2193 said:What if I told you, those power weapon buffs were put in place because of this removal. Just as necro axe got damage buffs because they removed unholy fevor.

tho necro axe got buffs, because you only use axe in pvp and even there you never took unholy fervor over the spinal shivers. in pve if you run with axe i think the new might trait was more dmg overall. basically unholy fervor was used back then when it procked the 10% from vuln with axe(meaning you got the buff in ds).

Yeah, the sustained damage from greatsword should go up with the buff to those autos.

The sad part is that even if they hadn't gutted Steady Focus for PvE power greatsword ranger would still be far behind power dragonhunter and have far less utility to boot.

It's also tied to a low uptime burst phase during sic em so any raid mechanics that interrupt your burst phase screw ranger over royally compared to a dragonhunter who's doing the damage of a sic em ranger all the time.

@santso.9201 said:because they wont do the math, yeah just tested, buffs to the weapons wont even cover the dmg lost from the trait(did sword+axe and both longbow and gs on swap, with beastmastery and skirmishing with marksmanship) i mean soon there is no reason to run marksmanship in pve if they ever touch the top gm and not make other 2 ones viable. there is not a single other trait in whole line that would actually increase power dps other than self buffing with boons.

_

with beastmastery and skirmishing with marksmanship

lol why? SB is a flat damage increase for both dps builds. If you're not comboing path of scars, moment of clarity, and worldy impact, you're doing it wrong.

@Zenith.7301 said:You straight up washed out any positive changes to the power weapons by nerfing this trait to projectiles only, and placing a 600 range threshold that will never be used in PvE.

Why remove one more useful damage modifier from power rangers when the power spec for rangers is already in a dreadful place?

You can interrupt PvE bosses now. New access to AoO trait.

@Mikeskies.1536 said:

@Zenith.7301 said:You straight up washed out any positive changes to the power weapons by nerfing this trait to projectiles only, and placing a 600 range threshold that will never be used in PvE.

You do realize a 25% extra damage on Maul every 20-25 seconds is a negligible gain on DPS (less than 3% extra overall damage), right? Even if it happened every 10 seconds (which isn't even close to how often you can proc it on average), it wouldn't come close to a 10% modifier on outgoing damage affecting all attacks when maul will make up for a smaller fraction of your overall sustained damage.

@Zenith.7301 said:

You do realize a 25% extra damage on Maul every 20-25 seconds is a negligible gain on DPS (less than 3% extra overall damage), right? Even if it happened every 10 seconds (which isn't even close to how often you can proc it on average), it wouldn't come close to a 10% modifier on outgoing damage affecting all attacks when maul will make up for a smaller fraction of your overall sustained damage.

Are you just pretending to be uninformed? It's 50 % with a 3 sec ICD. You easily get two boosted Mauls whenever you swap into GS, using Hilt Bash and Gazelle daze.

And no, it's not better than than the old Steady Focus as I mentioned earlier, but it's something.

@Lazze.9870 said:

Are you just pretending to be uninformed? It's 50 % with an 3 sec ICD. You easily get two boosted Mauls on each weapon swap. Using Hilt Bash and Gazelle daze.

And no, it's not better than than the old Steady Focus as I mentioned earlier, but it's something.

Do you think Hilt Bash and Gazelle dash are on a 3 sec cd?

@Levetty.1279 said:

Are you just pretending to be uninformed? It's 50 % with an 3 sec ICD. You easily get two boosted Mauls on each weapon swap. Using Hilt Bash and Gazelle daze.

Can you even read?

The trait effect has an ICD of 3 seconds. It adds up to around two boosted Mauls using GS as one of your weapons on every GS swap.

@Lazze.9870 said:

Can you even read?

The trait effect has an ICD of 3 seconds. It adds up to around two boosted Mauls using GS as one of your weapons.

I think you need to learn how to write your points before you start insulting people.

And that is still much less then 10% on everything.

@Levetty.1279 said:

Can you even read?

The trait effect has an ICD of 3 seconds. It adds up to around two boosted Mauls using GS as one of your weapons.

I think you need to learn how to write your points before you start insulting people.

Wonder what part of "two boosted Mauls on swapping into GS" when "using hilt bash and gazelle daze" was so hard for you.

Already pointed out it's less. As if that wasn't obvious. Point is and always was that it is better than nothing, "nothing" being what the new Farsighted trait equals to in a GS build.

@Lazze.9870 said:

Can you even read?

Wonder what part of "two boosted Mauls on swapping into GS" when "using hilt bash and gazelle daze" was so hard for you.

Already pointed out it's less. As if that wasn't obvious. Point is and always was that it is better than nothing, "nothing" being what the new Farsighted trait equals to in a GS build.

You were responding to somebody who was responding to somebody who implied that the interrupt trait was just as good. But keep denying you are wrong so you can insult people.

@Levetty.1279 said:

Can you even read?

You were responding to somebody who was responding to somebody who implied that the interrupt trait was just as good. But keep denying you are wrong so you can insult people.

I never implied it was just as good. I just noted that there was a usable trait on the same tier that melee rangers could make use of.

@Levetty.1279 said:

Can you even read?

I replied to his statement about Moment of Clarity's internal cooldown and how often you can pull it off in a rotation, it had nothing to do with the previous post. It was a correction. MoC isn't great, but better than nothing, and better than what Zenith made it sound like. Are you seriously trying to make it so that I'm wrong because of what Zenith replied to? You can't be serious. If I meant Zenith was wrong for saying Steady Focus was better, I would had straight up said so. I didn't. I corrected him on how MoC works, and that it makes a difference (again, still worse than the old Steady Focus).

You keep saying insulted as if I offended you by asking if you can read (naturally I do, when you're asking if I think Hilt Bash has a 3 second cooldown). Let's stop pretending I hurt your feelings. I doubt it bothered you, or "offended" you. Or you can keep spinning that insult excuse because you made an irrelevant post in the first place due to my "inability to type" and how that made it too difficult for you (woops, guess I can't help it).

I like the changes: the damage of the power melee weapons was improved in PvE for every build that does not run Marksmanship, and in Marksmanship builds for every player running content where dodging matters; that only leaves raid Marksmanship power builds who are supported by a healer through incoming damage, and these would be eclipsed by condition builds anyway in terms of sustained DPS. In terms of burst DPS of course Marksmanship greatsword builds became even burstier against breakbar targets thanks to the interrupt trait changes. The balance dev posted that they are aiming to make power and condition builds more distinct: increasing the ramp-up time for conditions would be one part of that, but presumably tweaking the passive sustained damage traits of power builds will be part of that as well.

Archived