Map Nav Mesh problems (No Valid Path to Target)

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey folks!

Finding every spot in a map where nav mesh is broken and preventing teleportation is near impossible for a handful of people. As such, please post in this thread if you find such places in PvP maps. When you receive "No valid path to target."

We'll be monitoring this post regularly and investigating those locations.

Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:Hey folks!

Finding every spot in a map where nav mesh is broken and preventing teleportation is near impossible for a handful of people. As such, please post in this thread if you find such places in PvP maps. When you receive "No valid path to target."

Thanks!

does this mean we can get shadow trap looked into?

Thanks!

will there be a thread like this for other areas of the game as well (pve / wvw)? or just post it here if we find such an issue outside of pvp maps ?

Reserved for any I remember or find

• Battle of Khylo, mid point. Teleporting from the outer ring onto the center point area is not possible vice versa

• Teleporting between the gaps in Skyhammer (the bridges between spawn and home points) is not possible.

• Legacy of Foefire. Rock next to Quarry can't be teleported to/from.

Honest question, how feasible would it to be rework teleport skills to have some wiggle room in their algorithms so that they can avoid most nav mesh problems? Because finding every single place where they get stuck and fixing it is a monumental task, and that's just for PvP, not to mention PvE or WvW. If you don't know, maybe ask the skill and balance team? I feel like that's the best way forward, if its possible to do.

I don't know how much work the idea I'm about to propose would be compared to fixing all the nav mesh, but in my head it's more like painting the terrain with a broad brush rather than finding a needle in a haystack.

Would it be possible to put tags on sections of the nav mesh (for simplification, we'll just use A, B, and U). So when you attempt to shadowstep, instead of trying to find a path along the nav mesh, it'll look at the tags at the start and end location. So if you're standing on a piece of ground tagged "A" and attempt to shadowstep to a part of ground also tagged "A" it will automatically succeed and teleport you there more like how portal works (ignoring the actual path in between the two). If you try to shadowstep from a place tagged "A" to a place tagged "B" it will default to the current path finding mechanic, and if a successful path is found, it will shadowstep you. This second check would be due to stuff like the inside of keeps and tops of walls in WvW, and inside the lord area of foe fire in PvP needing to be tagged differently from the outside of them to prevent going through walls. This would narrow your hunt for broken nav mesh down to only where changes in the nav mesh tags occur.

Alternatively, instead of the current pathing check to see if a wall or gate is down, have a trigger that when a wall or gate is destroyed, it applies a universal beginning and end to a shadowstep in a 2k radius around the piece of terrain. So the way it would work then is if a wall is destroyed, in a 2k radius around it, the nav mesh would be tagged "A&U" on the outside of the keep and "B&U" on the inside. The "A to B" check would fail, but the "U to U" check would succeed, triggering a successful shadowstep.

I have no idea what your code looks like and how hard it would be to add a new script to do this check of shadowstep abilities, but it seems simpler than looking for all the wrinkles and disconnects in the mesh.

Edit: P.S. I will try to document problems when I find them though to help with your search.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Crinn.7864 said:@Ben does this mean that jumping puzzles and other teleport safes are not intended? Or are you just trying to cut down on random pebbles breaking teleports?

Some places are intended as a teleport safe spot. I'm mainly concerned with the "random pebbles" issue. But if there is a spot people like us to evaluate, it's fair to post here and we'll take a look.

@Ben how will this address the issues with Shadow Trap and Scorpion wire? ages ago, before i had hair on my chin Scorpion Wire would pull them but theyd stop on a pebble. And around that time Shadow Trap used to work as intended, but now its LoS based there is no way to know if it will let us port back, whats the use in porting if it has to be line of sight?

@Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:@Ben how will this address the issues with Shadow Trap and Scorpion wire? ages ago, before i had hair on my chin Scorpion Wire would pull them but theyd stop on a pebble. And around that time Shadow Trap used to work as intended, but now its LoS based there is no way to know if it will let us port back, whats the use in porting if it has to be line of sight?

I can't confirm this. But even though what you're asking is more a mechanical fix, I think that this would probably be a job for the balance team. The peeveepee peeps aren't really allowed to touch skills sadly.

Hello Ben, thank you and your colleagues for looking into this issue.Here is video with few spots that either cause no valid path error message, put character in wrong spot and waste CDs, spots where you can get knocked/pulled/feared into and die due to not being able to use teleport based stunbreak etc. or which players (e.g. druids) abuse to kite around and denying spells like steal/blink.

I hope top players will give some input on this issue as well since they are masters at terrain abuse compared to us mortals.

@Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

Thanks!

oh god man shadow trap has been in the back of my mind for a reworking as well.

It should function like portal just put target directly into that position. Portal on mes has no problems with height (like clocktower) or obstructions but shadow trap hits every single little thing possible. and shadow trap is cooler than portal.

just played on Capricorn. Coming from the right side of the map, the stairs up to the part above mid are broken and don't let your teleport. also, one I've never encountered before until now is: right in front of mid, the small staircase leading down wouldn't let me steal. I think the guy was maybe half a step below me

@R E F L H E X.8413 said:

Thanks!

It should function like portal just put target directly into that position. Portal on mes has no problems with height (like clocktower) or obstructions but shadow trap hits every single little thing possible. and shadow trap is cooler than portal.

we must band together to get this skill noticed! i have been on its case for over a year!

@Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

Thanks!

we must band together to get this skill noticed! i have been on its case for over a year!

it needs to get noticed idk how such buggy skill goes under the radar. Probably the buggiest in the game.

To be honest guys, PvP maps are small and i thought NavMesh phrase is a Unity exclusive thingy, but woudlnt it be a better idea to cover the whole map with walkable surface then manually remove the unintended surfaces like rooftops and all(but u might prolly thought about this i guess) anyway thanks for finally working on this, this was one of the main thing (as a theif main) that i no longer playing your game regularly