Windows 10 update eats whole Internet bandwidth - PVP unplayable — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Windows 10 update eats whole Internet bandwidth - PVP unplayable

Deadly Moonshiner.1354Deadly Moonshiner.1354 Member ✭✭✭
edited December 12, 2017 in PVP

I have finally figured out why I have intermittent lag. Every time WIN10 Home edition (we have 2 machines in household) is downloading updates it eats the most of the bandwidth.
So my PC may be OK and not downloading, but my wife's PC is downloading update and my GW2 PvP goes down the toilet. Ping goes to over 1000 etc. Anyone else having similar problems?

I have already disabled P2P uploading for WIN 10 updates and I allow only local PCs for P2P updates. But download I can't limit in WIN 10 Home. My router can throttle, but I am not clear what ports / hosts to throttle to limit WIN10 updates, to leave enough bandwidth for GW2. Anyone solved this already?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Rytlock Brimstone: So we find the archon, take him out, then use Kas's "imposter" trick to take his place, right?
Lady Kasmeer Meade: It's not a trick. Mesmers don't do "tricks"—we utilize illusion.
Rytlock Brimstone: Yeah, yeah. You guys are worse than elementalists.

Comments

  • I disabled the updater service and swapped the status of my ethernet connection from 'not metered' to 'metered' manually. This way I can turn things on and tell it to update when I want it to happen and only when I want it to happen.

    Don't believe anything you've heard. None of it is remotely close to my actual insanity.

  • Deadly Moonshiner.1354Deadly Moonshiner.1354 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2017

    @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:
    I disabled the updater service and swapped the status of my ethernet connection from 'not metered' to 'metered' manually. This way I can turn things on and tell it to update when I want it to happen and only when I want it to happen.

    Thanks. I will try that too.

    Do you think if setting active hours in WIN10 Update settings could help? Does this option control downloads too, or just restart time?

    Rytlock Brimstone: So we find the archon, take him out, then use Kas's "imposter" trick to take his place, right?
    Lady Kasmeer Meade: It's not a trick. Mesmers don't do "tricks"—we utilize illusion.
    Rytlock Brimstone: Yeah, yeah. You guys are worse than elementalists.

  • LanfearShadowflame.3189LanfearShadowflame.3189 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2017

    @Deadly Moonshiner.1354 said:

    @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:
    I disabled the updater service and swapped the status of my ethernet connection from 'not metered' to 'metered' manually. This way I can turn things on and tell it to update when I want it to happen and only when I want it to happen.

    Thanks. I will try that too.

    Do you think if setting active hours in WIN10 Update settings could help? Does this option control downloads too, or just restart time?

    Active hours only affects restart time. Windows 10 did away with being able to set download times. Now it just 'does it' whenever which annoys me to no end. The problem is that MS assumes that most, if not all, people have excellent broadband or cable connections. Which, in theory, means that the downloads should be relatively quick and painless. However, for a lot of people, that's just not the case.

    Don't believe anything you've heard. None of it is remotely close to my actual insanity.

  • buy a copy of windows 7 is my solution. had windows 7 since day 1 will never use anything else.

  • @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:

    @Deadly Moonshiner.1354 said:

    @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:
    I disabled the updater service and swapped the status of my ethernet connection from 'not metered' to 'metered' manually. This way I can turn things on and tell it to update when I want it to happen and only when I want it to happen.

    Thanks. I will try that too.

    Do you think if setting active hours in WIN10 Update settings could help? Does this option control downloads too, or just restart time?

    Active hours only affects restart time. Windows 10 did away with being able to set download times. Now it just 'does it' whenever which annoys me to no end. The problem is that MS assumes that most, if not all, people have excellent broadband or cable connections. Which, in theory, means that the downloads should be relatively quick and painless. However, for a lot of people, that's just not the case.

    Seems my only option will be to do as you did. By "updater service" do you mean the svchost one?

    Rytlock Brimstone: So we find the archon, take him out, then use Kas's "imposter" trick to take his place, right?
    Lady Kasmeer Meade: It's not a trick. Mesmers don't do "tricks"—we utilize illusion.
    Rytlock Brimstone: Yeah, yeah. You guys are worse than elementalists.

  • LanfearShadowflame.3189LanfearShadowflame.3189 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2017

    @Deadly Moonshiner.1354 said:

    @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:

    @Deadly Moonshiner.1354 said:

    @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:
    I disabled the updater service and swapped the status of my ethernet connection from 'not metered' to 'metered' manually. This way I can turn things on and tell it to update when I want it to happen and only when I want it to happen.

    Thanks. I will try that too.

    Do you think if setting active hours in WIN10 Update settings could help? Does this option control downloads too, or just restart time?

    Active hours only affects restart time. Windows 10 did away with being able to set download times. Now it just 'does it' whenever which annoys me to no end. The problem is that MS assumes that most, if not all, people have excellent broadband or cable connections. Which, in theory, means that the downloads should be relatively quick and painless. However, for a lot of people, that's just not the case.

    Seems my only option will be to do as you did. By "updater service" do you mean the svchost one?

    Go into Services and look for Windows Update. You can google the issue, which should get you step by step instructions. I'm on a Mac right now so I can't walk through it myself, which is what Id need to do to walk you through it. The overarching host service actually covers upwards of like 15 different Windows services. (Some of which you don't actually want to shut off)

    Win10 Home may not have the option to Disable the Windows Update service. I use Pro personally, so I have the option. The changing of the connection from not metered to metered requires a registry edit, fyi.

    Don't believe anything you've heard. None of it is remotely close to my actual insanity.

  • @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:

    @Deadly Moonshiner.1354 said:

    @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:

    @Deadly Moonshiner.1354 said:

    @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:
    I disabled the updater service and swapped the status of my ethernet connection from 'not metered' to 'metered' manually. This way I can turn things on and tell it to update when I want it to happen and only when I want it to happen.

    Thanks. I will try that too.

    Do you think if setting active hours in WIN10 Update settings could help? Does this option control downloads too, or just restart time?

    Active hours only affects restart time. Windows 10 did away with being able to set download times. Now it just 'does it' whenever which annoys me to no end. The problem is that MS assumes that most, if not all, people have excellent broadband or cable connections. Which, in theory, means that the downloads should be relatively quick and painless. However, for a lot of people, that's just not the case.

    Seems my only option will be to do as you did. By "updater service" do you mean the svchost one?

    Go into Services and look for Windows Update. You can google the issue, which should get you step by step instructions. I'm on a Mac right now so I can't walk through it myself, which is what Id need to do to walk you through it. The overarching host service actually covers upwards of like 15 different Windows services. (Some of which you don't actually want to shut off)

    Great. Thanks. Will try it out.

    Rytlock Brimstone: So we find the archon, take him out, then use Kas's "imposter" trick to take his place, right?
    Lady Kasmeer Meade: It's not a trick. Mesmers don't do "tricks"—we utilize illusion.
    Rytlock Brimstone: Yeah, yeah. You guys are worse than elementalists.

  • Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Yeah the forced auto updates are bullkitten.

    You can disable them but then will have to remember to reenable to check for updates whenever you have time.

    IH hybrid | My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.