Power Block post patch on bosses

Hot Boy.7138

Has anyone tested power block's damage out paired with infinite horizon with sword ambush clones?

I'm getting consistent procs of the other interrupt traits and sigil of draining, but seem like very few power blocks are showing up in my combat log.

I would think that whenever I see Sigil of Draining proc in the combat log, a power block damage should follow it in the combat log, but i'm not seeing that.

I figure here’s a good place to raise awareness for those who don’t know without creating a new thread.

Power block works on ambush skills.

That means if you get interrupted on your ambush enjoy not using it for 15s.

For the thread in general I don’t see why there’s an ICD of 3s on the damage if there is one as it’s limited by your access to dazes but the release notes specifically say in regards to power block that the CD increase doesn’t apply which makes it confusing, clarification from a dev would be helpful.

@apharma.3741 said:For the thread in general I don’t see why there’s an ICD of 3s on the damage if there is one as it’s limited by your access to dazes but the release notes specifically say in regards to power block that the CD increase doesn’t apply which makes it confusing, clarification from a dev would be helpful.

The 3-second ICD exists to balance Interrupt mechanics with enemy skills with long wind-ups/cast times, e.g. Arkk's many big windup attacks. Without the ICD, a Mesmer with three clones up will be able to proc Interrupt-based mechanics like Power Block a total of four times.

The second part of Power Block's effect increases the cooldown of interrupted skills by 15 seconds. However, as the patch notes mentioned, this won't apply to enemies with Defiance Bars.

@Ojimaru.8970 said:

@apharma.3741 said:For the thread in general I don’t see why there’s an ICD of 3s on the damage if there is one as it’s limited by your access to dazes but the release notes specifically say in regards to power block that the CD increase doesn’t apply which makes it confusing, clarification from a dev would be helpful.

The 3-second ICD exists to balance Interrupt mechanics with enemy skills with long wind-ups/cast times, e.g. Arkk's many big windup attacks. Without the ICD, a Mesmer with three clones up will be able to proc Interrupt-based mechanics like Power Block a total of four times.

The second part of Power Block's effect increases the cooldown of interrupted skills by 15 seconds. However, as the patch notes mentioned, this won't apply to enemies with Defiance Bars.

It's not Mirage only, even a Chrono could interrupt multiple times with a single ToT cast as well.

hmm i think it's ok to have 3 icd which could allow them further buff /change interrupt trait numbers in pve .

after some tests , i think what actually counts as casting is likely a larger issue than that 3s icd . there are many long wind up animation from raid bosses .but sadly not all of them and not full animation counts as casting.

like cairn his green pattern attack doesn't count as him casting things . his bouncing rock attack animation only has a tiny window for you to trigger interrupt even tho it feels like he is casting it for very long time .

If we didn't have the 3 second cooldown for Power Block + IH would power mirage even be viable in raids and fractals?

If the answer is still "No", then I don't see why it matters if they add it, and would be a decent bursty PvE buff to power builds, that doesn't invalidate content.If the answer is "Yes", then unless its brokenly good (which compared to other meta builds it still probably wouldn't be) I don't see why they didn't add it.

Either way unless OP there is no reason not to add it, and if It is OP I want to see the numbers.

I'm not a programmer so I'm fairly ignorant, but I presume they just added something to the defiance bar mechanic side as a whole across the game, that gates effects that trigger on it by 3 seconds and IF exceptions were ever to be made it would be a long while from now.

But it's fine, I guess power mirage is still not allowed to be viable, so says A-net.

@"Daishi.6027" said:If we didn't have the 3 second cooldown for Power Block + IH would power mirage even be viable in raids and fractals?

If the answer is still "No", then I don't see why it matters if they add it, and would be a decent bursty PvE buff to power builds, that doesn't invalidate content.If the answer is "Yes", then unless its brokenly good (which compared to other meta builds it still probably wouldn't be) I don't see why they didn't add it.

Either way unless OP there is no reason not to add it, and if It is OP I want to see the numbers.

I'm not a programmer so I'm fairly ignorant, but I presume they just added something to the defiance bar mechanic side as a whole across the game, that gates effects that trigger on it by 3 seconds and IF exceptions were ever to be made it would be a long while from now.

But it's fine, I guess power mirage is still not allowed to be viable, so says A-net.

@"Daishi.6027" said:If we didn't have the 3 second cooldown for Power Block + IH would power mirage even be viable in raids and fractals?

Still is a no. A power block deals about half the damage a Phant Swordsman can, moreover while you could probably get tons of Sword Ambushes, Phant Swordsman can attack as fast as our endurance regen and Mirage Thrust is a dps loss over auto attacking.

@"Zenith.7301" said:And what would be broken about multiple interrupts on a boss? It's virtually like 7k damage at best for interrupt, or basically a whirling wrath worth of damage on a far longer cd.

Well, let's see. Power block has a 1.5 coefficient. Against a large target (say gorseval) iirc you can get 6 hits from ToT each way for a total of 12 hits total. You could do an f3 shatter for 4 additional hits of daze, double tap sword 4 for another hit, and then use the daze mantra once for one more hit. In total that would be 18 interrupts in a couple seconds for a total damage coefficient of 36.6 when you include the damage coefficient from ToT.

For comparison, a meteor shower that lands all 24 meteors has a damage coefficient of 31.2.

So yeah, you'd see more than just "a whirling wrath worth of damage", but honestly I don't think that dealing a meteor shower's worth of damage on a much longer cooldown with an extremely specific limiting condition (breakbar) would be unbalanced. It would actually be pretty fitting, and give mesmer a little chance to deal some nice burst damage a couple times in a fight.

@Ojimaru.8970 said:

How does that work? Will the extra cd wont aply if you interuot while the breakbar is up or if the boss has the ability to get a break bar at any point in the fight. Because still the ability to delete a mechanic for 15 sec even with a 3 sec cd could trivialise bosses really hard. Esp bosses that have alot of channel before their attacks.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"apharma.3741" said:For the thread in general I don’t see why there’s an ICD of 3s on the damage if there is one as it’s limited by your access to dazes but the release notes specifically say in regards to power block that the CD increase doesn’t apply which makes it confusing, clarification from a dev would be helpful.

How does that work? Will the extra cd wont aply if you interuot while the breakbar is up or if the boss has the ability to get a break bar at any point in the fight. Because still the ability to delete a mechanic for 15 sec even with a 3 sec cd could trivialise bosses really hard. Esp bosses that have alot of channel before their attacks.

You can proc Interrupts on enemies with Defiance Bars regardless if they the bar is available, or not (i.e. during the Defiance Bar cooldown after being broken, or if the Defiance Bar is locked, e.g. Vinetooth). However you cannot "delay" enemy skills. Excerpt of patch notes below:

@Mark Katzbach.9084 wrote:Note that this does not require a creature's defiance bar to be active, just that the creature be using a skill when an interrupt effect is applied.

Power Block: Cooldown increase is not applied to defiant creatures.

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@"Zenith.7301" said:And what would be broken about multiple interrupts on a boss? It's virtually like 7k damage at best for interrupt, or basically a whirling wrath worth of damage on a far longer cd.

Well, let's see. Power block has a 1.5 coefficient. Against a large target (say gorseval) iirc you can get 6 hits from ToT each way for a total of 12 hits total. You could do an f3 shatter for 4 additional hits of daze, double tap sword 4 for another hit, and then use the daze mantra once for one more hit. In total that would be 18 interrupts in a couple seconds for a total damage coefficient of 36.6 when you include the damage coefficient from ToT.

For comparison, a meteor shower that lands all 24 meteors has a damage coefficient of 31.2.

So yeah, you'd see more than just "a whirling wrath worth of damage", but honestly I don't think that dealing a meteor shower's worth of damage on a much longer cooldown with an extremely specific limiting condition (breakbar) would be unbalanced. It would actually be pretty fitting, and give mesmer a little chance to deal some nice burst damage a couple times in a fight.

Plus, you'd be stuck on chronomancer with a shield, so your sustained damage would suck ass if they were bringing you for both alacrity and quickness. My soulbeast can burst nice with sic em, but it's still a garbage 27k DPS power spec because that sic em is happening for 10 seconds every 40 seconds, while a guardian is doing the damage of a sic em soulbeast 100% of the time.

I don't get all this clamoring for condi spec nerfs when in PvE condi specs had the widest variety of viable class builds, while their balancing for power specs is atrocious with only dragonhunter/ele/holosmith being any good.

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

This is honestly an argument in favor of having no ICD. Look at all of that investment to just barely beat out a single Meteor shower where every meteor strikes the same enemy.

Archived