New Race

ShoknAwe.1602

I don't know much about the lore of Tyria or GW in general, but one thing I noticed is that the race options are kinda limited.

I just switched over from WoW again (I play on and off these MMOs) which has race overload and the limited options here are pretty striking in comparison.

What does everyone think about a new race options? Would it possible, and welcomed by the community?

Excelsior.

GuildWars2 is probably one of the games left ("left" because I don't think future games do that since the MMO market is becoming more and more niche for terrible and cheaply produced mobile games) with a real set of real interesting "races" (I think it's more species, because there are different races possible within e.g. the Asura, probably by skin differences). We have the average human, but also a beast race of giant and militant felines, we have the bit-of-goblin like midget race, arrogant and hyper-intelligent. You have people that are made out of plants and leaves, branches and such and, well, tall humans. All of it has a unique voice acting and no genderlock. But in what games do you have this diversity anymore?

Final Fantasy 14 for example are all humans of different sizes and just very little things changed, such as toy cat tails or ugly plastic horns.

Also, story-wise, GW2 is also one of the last games where the "races" have mad beef with each other. In a politically correct world like ours, this is more and more "uncool" to all the hipsters. We are all the same and can do all the same, yeeeey....

In short: No, no new "race" is required.

Here's what they've said recently on the subject. August, 2017. Reddit GW2 meet and greet

I (the interviewer) asked whether they have even considered adding a new race for PoF. Mike said that no and then added that new races in GW2 are "not impossible but very unlikely" to appear in the future. Implementing them would require a lot of resources that can be spent better on creating new content relevant for all players.

Be careful what you ask for. ANet might give it to you.

@ShoknAwe.1602 said:I don't know much about the lore of Tyria or GW in general, but one thing I noticed is that the race options are kinda limited.

I just switched over from WoW again (I play on and off these MMOs) which has race overload and the limited options here are pretty striking in comparison.

What does everyone think about a new race options? Would it possible, and welcomed by the community?

A bit unfair to compare the two actually since WoW is about to hit it's 13th anniversary and this game just had it's 5th.

WoW didn't start out with all the races it has now either. Blood Elves and Dreanai wasn't added until Burning Crusade, Goblins and Worgens were not added until Cata if I remember right and Pandaren were added with Mists of Pandaria.

I have played WoW on and off myself since 2005. I recently just quit a couple months back because I am just disgusted with it at the moment. Not trying to bash, but just my feelings on a game I once loved being nothing more than a shell of what it once was. I have been a big fan of the original Guild Wars for years and pre-ordered this game the day it went on sale, This has by far been one of my favorite games since launch.

I so hope that this game never, ever goes the direction WoW did. I would be extremely disappointed. This game is different and unique. Truly hope it never changes the core aspects that make it what it is.

As for your question, I wouldn't be against them adding another race of course, but I am perfectly happy with what we have at the moment also.

@SummerRayne.4672 I play WoW, GW1, and GW2. GW2 is nothing like WoW! That one I wholeheartedly agree with you on that! I hate the fact that so many GW1 players compare WoW to GW2, and say how the are copies of the other. WoW and GW2 are NOTHING alike!!! GW2 is more related to other games WITH dynamic events, such as Warhammer Online, RIFT, etc. So, before anyone goes off and on saying that GW2 is a cheap copy and past of WoW, I swear I'll scream my head off! I like you already!

Biggest problem with new races is mapping all the existing armor to their skeleton and minor inconvenience of the personal story. Now the personal story issue can be resolved easily, instead of making a whole new low level zone for them, just have them as 'mercs' in another races area. Their personal story would consist of them helping the main races until it gets to the part where the personal story melds like everyone else's does. The whole issue of mapping armor to the skeleton just takes time and that is probably the main reason we haven't seen a new race. They had a hard enough time with the Charr, I am pretty sure anything they introduce now will just be as close as they can get to the human skeleton model.

The lore of GW2 already created a bond between races. They are more than simple designs, each race got it's funny part and it's strength. Adding a new race would mean a lot of work + the feeling of an intruder in all this nice story. GW1 had only humans and it was still a good game. Yes, I agree adding some lore related to Tengu and opening their city, but not adding them as a new race. We barely seen any Tengu NPC around, just imagine a world full of Tengu over-night.

Even tho the tengu would be considered as the fan fav and mine as well. I could see the largos being the easiest to ad in the game since they have a human like body structure making it easier for the devs to translate and make new armors for them. And oh boi now that i think about it the largos could have neat animations And way the stand/ armors look on them.

The only new playable races that I ever want to see, which wouldn't ruin the game are the Tengu and a redesigned version of the Largos, because these two would complement best the currently already existing Races and I kind of think it would suit best to make Largos playable via the Expansion, that brings us finally the overhaul of the Underwater System and the reveal of the Deep Sea Elder Dragon together with like 5 nice big unique partwise to complete Underwater Maps.I'm thinking of yet unexplorable Map Areas like

• Tarnished Coast
  • Magus Falls and the Sea below that area
  • East Sea Area from the Grove south of the Dominion of the Wind
  • South Sea Area from Mount Maelstrom with its Island Chain
  • East of Mount Maelstrom, the Deldrimor Sea Region
  • Dominion of the Wind (but that would require Tengus first, Tengu Area is very small with just only DotW and their practically hometown Sanctum Cay), could be maybe a 6th Bonus Map as hint that Tengus could follow after Largos next

Tengus were even considered to be playable, they have from all other races the highest developed stage that could make them anytime basically a playable race.

• Anet has made concept arts for them to look completely different, what is important for Character Creation/Individuality
  • They have a Hometown (Sanctum Cay) like all other bigger playable races, but yet not explorable, cause they isolate themself west of Lions Arch
  • They have a similar Body Model like the Charr or Norn
  • They can speak clearly, so they are an highly intelligent race

Yes, more playable races means more costs, due to more new Voice Actors being required, but it would make the world of GW2 so much more full of live, if we would see in regard of more playable race more diversity. Tengus shouldnt permanently isolate themself, its time that they free themself and stand their ground for their rights and their freedom, even if that means that they have to cooperate with the humans in Tyria. They should take a good look at the Charr, which were even at war with the humans for a logn time, and even they werre as a race able to jump over their own shadows and cooperate with the humans, stopping the war and working together...When even the Charr can overcome their past with the humans, so can too the Tengu. It weren#t also the humans in tyria, which brought them into the situation they are in, it were the humans 250 years ago in Cantha, which exiled them and brought them to flee from there as refugees, cause of the emperor there turning the nation under racism into a human only nation - but that is not the fault of the humans in Kryta which didn#t do any harm to them.I'm pretty sure, peopel at Lions Arch would welcome the tengus with open arms, if they would just open finally their walls to let that happen.

However, the largos on the other side.. their whole body model currently is completely stiff, these silly looking Manta Wings which look like stapled onto their backs...Nah, under this design I personally want them never to become playable..too ugly, too unfittign with these stiff wings.ANet showed that they can do much better work with the Sylvair, they got shortly before release completely redesigned. Somethign that the largos would have needed too, but I can think off, why they didn#t do that, because in the whole game we have so far just only like 3-4 Largos, among which most of them appeear only as part of dynamic events as sudden enemies or for a hero point to defeat as a challenge, while only 1 of them plays at akll a role for a very brief moment of the Personal Story and basically could have been completely replaced by an other race npc, so obslete is that one Story NPC Largos for the game actually

@Orpheal.8263 said:The only new playable races that I ever want to see, which wouldn't ruin the game are the Tengu and a redesigned version of the Largos, because these two would complement best the currently already existing Races and I kind of think it would suit best to make Largos playable via the Expansion, that brings us finally the overhaul of the Underwater System and the reveal of the Deep Sea Elder Dragon together with like 5 nice big unique partwise to complete Underwater Maps.I'm thinking of yet unexplorable Map Areas like

• Tarnished Coast
  • Magus Falls and the Sea below that area
  • East Sea Area from the Grove south of the Dominion of the Wind
  • South Sea Area from Mount Maelstrom with its Island Chain
  • East of Mount Maelstrom, the Deldrimor Sea Region
  • Dominion of the Wind (but that would require Tengus first, Tengu Area is very small with just only DotW and their practically hometown Sanctum Cay), could be maybe a 6th Bonus Map as hint that Tengus could follow after Largos next

Tengus were even considered to be playable, they have from all other races the highest developed stage that could make them anytime basically a playable race.

• Anet has made concept arts for them to look completely different, what is important for Character Creation/Individuality
  • They have a Hometown (Sanctum Cay) like all other bigger playable races, but yet not explorable, cause they isolate themself west of Lions Arch
  • They have a similar Body Model like the Charr or Norn
  • They can speak clearly, so they are an highly intelligent race

Yes, more playable races means more costs, due to more new Voice Actors being required, but it would make the world of GW2 so much more full of live, if we would see in regard of more playable race more diversity. Tengus shouldnt permanently isolate themself, its time that they free themself and stand their ground for their rights and their freedom, even if that means that they have to cooperate with the humans in Tyria. They should take a good look at the Charr, which were even at war with the humans for a logn time, and even they werre as a race able to jump over their own shadows and cooperate with the humans, stopping the war and working together...When even the Charr can overcome their past with the humans, so can too the Tengu. It weren#t also the humans in tyria, which brought them into the situation they are in, it were the humans 250 years ago in Cantha, which exiled them and brought them to flee from there as refugees, cause of the emperor there turning the nation under racism into a human only nation - but that is not the fault of the humans in Kryta which didn#t do any harm to them.I'm pretty sure, peopel at Lions Arch would welcome the tengus with open arms, if they would just open finally their walls to let that happen.

However, the largos on the other side.. their whole body model currently is completely stiff, these silly looking Manta Wings which look like stapled onto their backs...Nah, under this design I personally want them never to become playable..too ugly, too unfittign with these stiff wings.ANet showed that they can do much better work with the Sylvair, they got shortly before release completely redesigned. Somethign that the largos would have needed too, but I can think off, why they didn#t do that, because in the whole game we have so far just only like 3-4 Largos, among which most of them appeear only as part of dynamic events as sudden enemies or for a hero point to defeat as a challenge, while only 1 of them plays at akll a role for a very brief moment of the Personal Story and basically could have been completely replaced by an other race npc, so obslete is that one Story NPC Largos for the game actually

Has it been stated that these wings are part of their body and not some equipment or we they use for daster moving around the sea?

They are parts of their body.. they are grown on their backs lol, these wings aren't just fake wings that we players use as Back Packs ...https://wiki-de.guildwars2.com/wiki/Largos

Largos use them in water for their movement naturally, but you barely see that in the game, most of the time you see Largos in the game on land, and there are their wings totally spread out and stiff. Currently they also look like the Kodan all the same practically, which is another reason, why this race would need first a complete redesign, so that it becomes more diversive for Character Creation.

It would suit much better to the Largos race, if they would use their wings on land like Gargoys as soem kind of "Wing Manteau", instead of this stiff and spread out stuff we have now...Something like thesehttp://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/disney-gargoyles-goliath.jpghttps://i.pinimg.com/736x/fe/76/0a/fe760a0f117a41c0635b7ec0e4a4d922--cosplay-costumes-cosplay-ideas.jpg

They wouldn't their wings on land look so out of place and disturbing, especialyl when you consider that a race like them should perform like all other races with their wigns movements, like Dodge Rolls, where spread out wings would be totally in your way and counterproductive

Once more Ill say it, Specs wont always be a solid selling point for expansions. Either a new class or a new race will be needed because I feel like Bullshit specs(excuse my language) that dont change much if anything are not the way to go, The dev's are simply lazy and we allow it.

"Wont add anything, and takes too many resources" Ok then tell me Mo, How and why did mounts get introduced because over-all they are a similar beast with only the races having an issue of "Armor". But we all know that you just put the armor into an automated machine and pump them out, which is why many of the armor looks horrible on the charr. So Yes at this point im calling out the company as an over-all whole because they would rather focus on characters we dont care about, retcon solid lore from the franchise and tell us "No we wont do that, because of X reason".

The Real reasons we wont be seeing a new race is because They are too lazy to implement it, they themselves even ADMITTED to cutting as many corners as possible so its only common practice they would half ass it anyway. To Top that off they cant Monetize it like they did Gliders and will presumably do to mounts, its all about how many times they can force people to pay for similar or the very same content in a different form or skin for equal or more money. They dont care about their community, they dont care about what we want. They are a company and that is how they function as an overall whole, The consumers desires mean only as much as the weight the desire can put into their chubby lil pockets.

I have lost faith in this company to do anything more than what they will, And I hope they see that this is not the way you should do things by straight out saying "No it wont happen" because it closes too many doors. A new race brings people into an expansion, new "Specs" do little more than flirt with the notion of player choice which we obviously dont have alot of. "Play a human or dont play" is how its been for a long time, Sylvary only look good in their respective armor and the other races have little love handed to them... so a new race is not possible simply because the Dev's refuse to give players something new. I mean come on they even recycle old weapons rather than introduce new ones... Im honeslty kind of dumb-founded than anyone expects differently of them at this point.

Im sorry though that this is how it is, As a advocate for new ideals and races being added to the game I Feel your Pain? Always have wanted to play a tengu, but I will never be able too because of their laziness and otherwise un-inspired views toward it.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:Once more Ill say it, Specs wont always be a solid selling point for expansions. Either a new class or a new race will be needed because I feel like kitten specs(excuse my language) that dont change much if anything are not the way to go, The dev's are simply lazy and we allow it.

Said the same thing many times on previous forums and got banned for that, expecting this to happen to you too, hah.

They don't allow any criticism of the fact of their laziness here, so shush guys.

If I take as an example how Revenant was introduced in the game,I'd rather if they didn't bother to add a new race.Rev was simply thrown in,without any story to back it up from the player's perspective,without any provision to tie itto the pre existing plot,totally breaking immersion and lore.You create a Rev and play the vanilla starter stories,and then at the start of HoT you see Rytlock poping in to explain to you about thenew magic he just brought in from the mists.

Unless they intend to also add proper unique story lines and new areas etc,better skip it and work on something else.

The issue with adding another race to the game would be the amount of work involved for only a bit of flavor. Possibly of needing a new animation rig, a starting area, integrating the race with the player personal story, a new starting zone, etc. All that buys the players is ... what? A hand-full of race oriented abilities that we would rarely ever use?

I rather add a new class then new race personally. To think of a new race means a new starting map also. And few maps till you get to lions arch. I can see why arenanet says likely not because it's practically gonna be a mini expansion. However a new race would be nice but would you really want a new one? Remember the beginning story is different till about a lil half way after the story. So you have to come up with dozens of different scenerios within the story. Because that's how each race is designed. So all what I said, the team will make but everything else would be nothing added. Just that race.

Were it to ever happen, I'd love to see Kodan.

It would be an easy race to implement, because a lot of their combat animations are already part of the game (pretty sure they simply use norn skeletons/animations), and I for one would absolutely love to learn more about the Kodan as a race and a kodan personal story would be a great tool to expand on their lore

Archived