Did the "balancing" of condi make it stronger?

Grok Krog.9581

I know this is being discussed everywhere but I wanted to give my view of it. Did they end up nerfing power than "nerfing" condi? I'm talking about changes to classes like Warrior, making stick and move weaker (a 10% multiplicative damage buff is way better 250 power at max might). Also reducing access to vulnerability across the board, I understand this condition effects condition damage as well but it works better with power due to more damage modifiers. Thoughts?

I agree somewhat, the conditions now basically last 2x as long while dealing 1/2 damage, so it's the exact same damage, but not also damage while you can't hit e.g when you have to avid a mechanic in a raid, while things regarding power did seem to get "nerfed" ike warrior's new sundering burst, it USED to be Rending strikes - crits can inflict vuln and now it's Bursts inflict vuln, which Is interesting, but not enough to use the arms line for crit.

Somewhat related, but not, because of the change to stick and move, I tested my dps on a golem in full marauder ( general pve armour and occasional wvw armour) and I got to about 21k dps with "Realistic raid" buffs, which is a LOT weaker than condi, BUT - it was tactics, Discipline, strength, and using berserker(power) or Spellbreaker lowered my dps to about 16k, making me really with that my axe mastery trait wa smoved to strength, because then I could get the + power, and + 300 ferocity (20% crit dmg), since I basically only use Discipline for the axe mastery and rifle trait,( which is honestly really silly atm, it's basically useless, as you get adrenaline fast enough to get another burst while your burst is still on cooldown for another 4 seconds) , but i'm ranting again.

@Grok Krog.9581 said:Also reducing access to vulnerability across the board, I understand this condition effects condition damage as well but it works better with power due to more damage modifiers. Thoughts?Unless you have a specific modifier for x% more damage above y vulnerability and you don't reach y anymore (does such a thing even exist?), the impact of vulnerability changes on power and condi builds is exactly the same.

@"Grok Krog.9581" said:I know this is being discussed everywhere but I wanted to give my view of it. Did they end up nerfing power than "nerfing" condi? I'm talking about changes to classes like Warrior, making stick and move weaker (a 10% multiplicative damage buff is way better 250 power at max might). Also reducing access to vulnerability across the board, I understand this condition effects condition damage as well but it works better with power due to more damage modifiers. Thoughts?

ANet didn't say they were nerfing Condition Damage outright, only the burst potential. Hence why all the changes are mostly reducing the number of stacks applied per attack, while increasing the duration to match previous "total damage" per application.

@CptAurellian.9537 said:

@Grok Krog.9581 said:Also reducing access to vulnerability across the board, I understand this condition effects condition damage as well but it works better with power due to more damage modifiers. Thoughts?Unless you have a specific modifier for x% more damage above y vulnerability and you don't reach y anymore (does such a thing even exist?), the impact of vulnerability changes on power and condi builds is exactly the same.

Well, %damage modifiers are multiplicative. Power builds usually have multiple of these. Condition builds might have 1 (off the top of my head thief gets 10% condi damage after dodge as an example). So power build gets a bigger boost out of it, just for simpleness 100damagex10%x10%x10%x25% (vuln) and condi would be 100damagex10%x25%(vuln)

Yes, multipliers are, surprise, multiplicative. However, that's not relevant to the current situation. With regard to vuln changes, the only thing that matters is damage without vuln (all other modifiers are already included in here) compared to damage with vuln. If a power build and a condi build do the same damage with full vuln, any reduction in vuln stacks will hit them in exactly the same way.

Archived