Can we have more of Rox please? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Can we have more of Rox please?

Furious.2867Furious.2867 Member ✭✭✭

She's one of the most likeable characters and not at all alienating like the pesky Asurans. Ok thanks.

Comments

  • Oldirtbeard.9834Oldirtbeard.9834 Member ✭✭✭✭

    They need to give her a personality first, some motivations for being, some backstory.

    “The only watchmaker is the blind forces of physics.”
    ― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

  • Pax.3548Pax.3548 Member ✭✭✭

    yeah, compared to other characters, Rox has remained mostly the same, even braham, who is currently being hated for his tantrums, has a hell of a lot more development than rox, but maybe that is just who she is, a very calm person. Or maybe her time hasn't really come yet, perphaps when the charr race is threatened somehow she'll start changing and we'll start seeing her more.

  • She just follow everybody around. Have no purpose at all.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Halan.8951 said:

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    I have to ask, since I see this written a lot. What makes her so likeable to everyone? She has very little personality and almost no character development since LS1. Any other character who appears with those traits seems to get slammed by the community, but Rox seems to have bucked that trend

    I assume she's so bland as to be utterly inoffensive, but I am genuinely curious as to why so many people like her

    Every time I hear about "personality" in online discussions, I'm kinda puzzled by what it actually means. To me it looks like "personality" means having quirks, weirdness-es and other things that distract the character from doing what he does. Basically personality, to me, means character is out of place.. he'd rather do other things than what plot says he should do.
    So I'd like having more focused and committed characters, to whom their role IS their personality, their calling or dharma. Like Caithe or Trahearne. And not some shmoe who got his place in story randomly, but rather be at home eating donuts instead of saving the world.

    @Yereton.8647 said:
    That's exactly why I like Rox! She is calm and loyal.

    She is calm enough not to be affected by Braham's outbursts. Loyal enough not to leave his side, even though she is well aware that Braham is acting like a complete nincompoop. I mean she keeps an eye out on him, and ensures he doesn't kill himself during his quest for redemption, while at the same time tempering him.

    Exactly. She feels she needs to do it, because it's the right thing and she does. No need for silly "personality" stuff.

    On topic - Rox is cool. Best of the second group of NPC heroes.

    Personality is pretty much the opposite of how you have perceived it. Without a personality, you can pretty much bin a character altogether unless they are a one line feeder like the ambient ones around the world. It should be viewed as a fundamental and extremely important part of the main characters in the story. Some of them have it, but Rox's has not been fully fleshed out (yet) and her character has suffered for it. And I think that is largely due to having too many NPC's in our group/guild/circle

  • Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Pfffft... We saved the world and she and Braham were like: WTH are you doing here?!

  • I think part of Rox's charm is that we don't know as much about her yet, or where her story is going to go. We know where they're steering Braham, we see Taimi continuing to awkwardly straddle the line between character and plot device for the foreseeable future, we can feel that they already seem to have done what they set out to do with Marjory and Kasmeer and are now falling prey to the notion that relationship drama is the natural place to go when the story isn't finished yet, and Canach's a snarky drifter. Rox, though, is in many ways still stuck mid-development at the end of S1, and compared to Rytlock, she hasn't been around to shut us down to the point of growing cynical about ever getting answers. She still has potential.

    (And it does, admittedly, help that she hasn't displayed any character traits that prove divisive. There was a brief period at the start where she was the most hated of the new characters, but that's died down as the game's aesthetic has drifted. Anime eyes no longer seem so out of place.)

    R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

  • dusanyu.4057dusanyu.4057 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2017

    She also seems to be our most dependable Follower When the commander needs things done we delegate it to rox (if she is with us) in HoT she served as our advance scout. ("Rox were on you") Rox is everything a Charr should be, a Soldier who calmly executes her orders and is loyal to the unit.

  • MrForz.1953MrForz.1953 Member ✭✭✭

    Can't say I miss her. I mean, to me she belongs to the Flame and Frost part of the living story as well as the Scarlet Briar related events. She's done her part.

    Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Pirate - Jade Quarry

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Aaron Ansari.1604 said:
    I think part of Rox's charm is that we don't know as much about her yet, or where her story is going to go. We know where they're steering Braham, we see Taimi continuing to awkwardly straddle the line between character and plot device for the foreseeable future, we can feel that they already seem to have done what they set out to do with Marjory and Kasmeer and are now falling prey to the notion that relationship drama is the natural place to go when the story isn't finished yet, and Canach's a snarky drifter. Rox, though, is in many ways still stuck mid-development at the end of S1, and compared to Rytlock, she hasn't been around to shut us down to the point of growing cynical about ever getting answers. She still has potential.

    (And it does, admittedly, help that she hasn't displayed any character traits that prove divisive. There was a brief period at the start where she was the most hated of the new characters, but that's died down as the game's aesthetic has drifted. Anime eyes no longer seem so out of place.)

    @MrForz.1953 said:
    Can't say I miss her. I mean, to me she belongs to the Flame and Frost part of the living story as well as the Scarlet Briar related events. She's done her part.

    Both of these are fair points. For me another issue is she feels very unlike a Charr. Tybalt was the same, but he had a certain endearing personality which I got why people liked him even though he was my least fav of the three mentors.

    But, I get the idea that her potential exists and her inate blandness actually works to not be as divisve as the others

  • I like her because she balances out Braham's hot-headedness and always seems to be the calm, level-headed one of the group (those two are like fire and water) but I do think she needs more to do. I'd like to see a living story episode or season that focuses more on her and allows her to grow as a character (maybe that will come into play when Braham's arc comes to an end)

  • Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    I assume she's so bland as to be utterly inoffensive, but I am genuinely curious as to why so many people like her

    I would assume because furries.

    Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

  • Narcemus.1348Narcemus.1348 Member ✭✭✭

    @SheiyeSai.6037 said:
    I like her because she balances out Braham's hot-headedness and always seems to be the calm, level-headed one of the group (those two are like fire and water)

    Or like Flame and Frost?

  • I'd rather see more Rox than more Rytlock.

    Make Dragon's Watch great again (by booting Rytlock out of it).
    Asura fanatic.
    World's largest Zojja fan.
    Quoting me in your post is hazardous to your health.
    Illconceived Was Na fanboy.

  • @TheOrlyFactor.8341 said:
    I'd rather see more Rox than more Rytlock.

    Ehh, I dunno. Rox really needs screen and development time, but I'm not sure I can go without the Rytlock/Cannach dynamic.

    Plague Signet is the only skill in the game that is worse when traited.

  • Rox actually has a rather intriguing subplot involving her mission as a free agent from Season 2 that is yet to be resolved. I posted a lengthy commentary about it on Reddit some time ago which included most of the relevant quotes relating to Rox's secret if anyone wants to read said quotes verbatim. To summarize the discussion from that thread:

    Several Season 2 instances ("Plan of Attack", "Reunion with the Pact", and "The Pact Assaulted") hinted at and/or explored Rox's free agent status and what her secretive mission might entail. Curiously only charr player characters got to not only learn the identity of the aggressive and mysterious charr soldier Monti Scythescrape whom Rox was rather evasive about but also caught Rox outright lying to us thanks to charr PC's knowledge of annual weapons testing which Rox was initially using as an alibi for her lie before she quickly corrected herself and changed the subject. During these instances we also learned that Rox was spying on someone and apparently visiting the Imperator's office every time she returned to the Black Citadel, thus suggesting that she was working directly for Iron Imperator Smodur (or someone high enough in the Imperator's office) for reasons that remained unclear.

    PoF has shed some light on this mystery but also included new intruing developments. The inquiries about Rytlock's whereabouts from S2 instances foreshadowed the charr brass's eventual interest from S3 in what Rytlock had learned in the Mists and the subsequent would-be tribunal once the Adamant Guard had arrested him in S3 Episode 2. Add to that the fact that Rytlock was being rather evasive about what exactly had been discussed in that closed-doors meeting and how he was freed and got his rank back without hassle in PoF's story instance "Sparking the Flames", and it seems to me Rox and Rytlock's plots may be connected via Smodur somehow.

    The questions all of this raise are the following:
    1) Was Rox sent to spy on someone in Camp Resolve or elsewhere as her slip of the tongue in one of the S2 story instances implies? If so, who was she spying on and why?
    2) Has Rox been recruited by Smodur and if so, why has the Iron Imperator chosen a gladium like her who's untrained in spy games for such a discreet mission instead of picking any of the three High Legions' finest for the job? Is it because Rox might be closer to the target and thus have easier access to them?
    3) Is Monti Scythescrape potentially another spy and liaison (despite the charr PC not recognizing Monti's gear, it appears to be red tier 3 medium cultural armor and thus suggesting Blood affiliation), or is he actually a figure from Rox's past with another agenda?
    4) Why would Rox's mission, whether it's spying on someone on Smodur's behalf or not, be so discreet that she'd deliberately lie to the player character about what she was doing given how she's respected the PC during their adventures together and always been one of the most sensible members of the PC's guild? Regardless of if the PC was charr or not, surely Rox and/or Smodur would trust the PC with the matter given how the PC has proven their trustworthiness (especially as a charr) again and again particularly after the events surrounding the World Summit and helping the charr diminish the threat of the Ascalonian ghosts and Flame Legion, not to mention Elder Dragons?
    5) What exactly is going on with Rytlock and the charr brass, and why all the secrecy about the closed-doors meeting? Did Smodur really have the authority to strip a Blood officer like Rytlock from his rank without Blood Imperator Bangar's blessing (surely this would cause a political scandal as I doubt Bangar's the kind of person to let other Legions mess with his top underlings, and Iron couldn't hush-hush it either as the other Blood Tribune Fierhan Sparwind would take note of his fellow officer Rytlock's arrest), or was this something okayed by Bangar? Did Rytlock reveal more about his trip to the Mists (aside from meeting and freeing then-unknown-to-him Balthazar and learning the ways of the revenant from Glint) to the brass than he did to the PC?

    It is curious to me that the expanded world map has spread east and now includes more of the Blazeridge Mountains as well as the Blood Legion Homelands and thus suggesting a potential future plot involving charr and their politics (with possibly both Blood Imperator Bangar and Ash Imperator Malice) that the writers have already been discussing during story meetings.

    While it's possible that Rox's mystery was scrapped/put on hold like the Krytan Locket subplot from S2 (which Angel McCoy mentioned during a Q&A in her Tracon visit around the time of her departure from ANet), I'd be surprised if this is the last time we'll get to explore Rox's shenanigans, especially when the writing directly waved a new mystery right in our faces in PoF with Rytlock and the charr brass and refusing to tell us more about it for now. It's going to be interesting to see how much this plot will be developed in S4 now that Rox has made her return to the story and Dragon's Watch is reunited for the time being, but I for one look forward to finding out more as charr politics has always been one of the fascinating subjects of GW2 lore to me. :)

  • Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Oglaf.1074 said:

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    I assume she's so bland as to be utterly inoffensive, but I am genuinely curious as to why so many people like her

    I would assume because furries.

    Lol I actually find Rox particularly unattractive physically. But she has definitely been on the ignored end of things with regards to character development.

  • Squee.7829Squee.7829 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2017

    I think people like her because she's kind of a blank slate. By itself, that'd be boring, but when compared to the other members (angsty Braham, Kasmeer, who completely dropped the ball with Balthazar and has that stupid hiccuping thing, and Marjory who irritated everyone with the whole "you're my guild leader now, but don't tell me what to do!!!" Nonsense.) it's an opportunity to create a character no one hates. Anet so far has been doing a very good job of making us hate the people we're supposed to work with, but mediocre at making people universally liked. Taimi, Rytlock, and Tybalt are about the only characters I'd say have a real solid positive rating. Rox isn't a "good " character, but she's not an obnoxious character and that makes her better than most.

  • Cuon Alpinus.7645Cuon Alpinus.7645 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2017

    I think the reason people like her is exactly because she isn't much of anything, as silly as that may be. Marjory and kasmeer are tumbling down generic lover's quarrel lane, Rytlock and Canach (while fun) are an endless stream of snark and sarcasm, Taimi is a plot device that always somehow gets herself in trouble, and Braham is still taking out grief on almost everyone around him. The game's current story is like a rusty, dilapidated engine that's still forcing itself to fire on all cylinders while backfiring out the tailpipe. People like Rox because she's relaxed and works actively to calm the scene down around her and give the player some breathing room. That's not exactly praise of her character, but rather she hasn't done anything for people to be annoyed with her yet, and unfortunately the state of affairs around her makes her more tolerable by default.

    Permanently Embiggened

  • @Cuon Alpinus.7645 said:
    I think the reason people like her is exactly because she isn't much of anything, as silly as that may be. Marjory and kasmeer are tumbling down generic lover's quarrel lane, Rytlock and Canach (while fun) are an endless stream of snark and sarcasm, Taimi is a plot device that always somehow gets herself in trouble, and Braham is still taking out grief on almost everyone around him. The game's current story is like a rusty, dilapidated engine that's still forcing itself to fire on all cylinders while backfiring out the tailpipe. People like Rox because she's relaxed and works actively to calm the scene down around her and give the player some breathing room. That's not exactly praise of her character, but rather she hasn't done anything for people to be annoyed with her yet, and unfortunately the state of affairs around her makes her more tolerable by default.

    Exactly this. If I had to choose between eating a bland poptart vs a wad of tinfoil, I'd probably go with the bland poptart.

  • I like her Because shes not a Snobbi little ugly ear pointed Elf eeerr I mean Asura, Shes not a Bald baby throwing Tantrums, shes not a stupid lesbian with a weak plot for fanservice, shes calm, she lost a lot and despite that Rox keeps walking forward.

  • Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Altion.9576 said:
    I like her Because shes not a Snobbi little ugly ear pointed Elf eeerr I mean Asura, Shes not a Bald baby throwing Tantrums, shes not a stupid lesbian with a weak plot for fanservice, shes calm, she lost a lot and despite that Rox keeps walking forward.

    You didn't say anything about Jory, tho.

    And had you said anything about Canach, I'd have some choice words for you.

  • @Leo G.4501 said:

    @Altion.9576 said:
    I like her Because shes not a Snobbi little ugly ear pointed Elf eeerr I mean Asura, Shes not a Bald baby throwing Tantrums, shes not a stupid lesbian with a weak plot for fanservice, shes calm, she lost a lot and despite that Rox keeps walking forward.

    You didn't say anything about Jory, tho.

    And had you said anything about Canach, I'd have some choice words for you.

    Canach is cool so no complains there.

  • Maybe at the end of the next expansion, Rox can give us Frostbite, so we can have what becomes an overpowered ranger pet in our use to off an army of Phlunts.

  • Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Lets have an emotionally charged episode where Frostbite dies and she absorbs his "spirit" and becomes a permanent Soulbeast. ;)

    Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

  • Evolute.6239Evolute.6239 Member ✭✭✭

    I didn't play LWS1 so my experience with Rox has been "why does she exist"

  • arenta.2953arenta.2953 Member ✭✭✭

    first off, as an Asura. we not pesky, you just ignorant.

    2nd...yeah i'd like more Rox...but as long as she's following Mr. Moody Emo Suicide Future. I don't want her. If she leaves him. then sure.
    but i'd rather not have her near me and constantly asking me "how do you think he's doing"

    Braham has a future with my greatsword's tip if Jormag doesn't eat him first. the less i have to be reminded of him, the better. if that means no rox. then so be it.

  • Brutalistik.6473Brutalistik.6473 Member ✭✭
    edited January 8, 2018

    I haven't touched this game for a long time, but I was there when they introduced Rox. As I can remember Rox and Braham have great synergy going on. Rox background is that she lost her crew and trying to get into Rytlock's gang. However in the mix of battle during S1 she and Braham teamed up to defeat the troublemakers. They succeeded and started enjoying each other company. Thanks to Rox company Braham was able to move on from his rejection a girl he used to like. Rox eventually stopped going to Rytlock's gang meetings because she started to enjoy Braham's company more. At this point the two are practically a tight duo until more allies joined their group.

    If she hasn't gotten any good development after that then they need to rekindle what made her important in the first place.
    1. Braham and Rox have great synergy so it needs to be stronger.
    2. She should become more reliable for the team and comes up with great strategy plans. Since she's a ranger she can be the trapping strategy type that can sometimes lead to an perfect ambush giving the team the advantage.
    3. She should develop some personality traits so she can be recognize for who she is such as being very supportive for Braham, charming, fierce, clever, charismatic, adaptable, articulate, good-natured, passionate, confident, skillful, sociable, calm and collective.
    4. She should have some counters that could give her a challenge which builds character development.

  • Telwyn.1630Telwyn.1630 Member ✭✭

    I like Rox no question of that.

  • Andy.5981Andy.5981 Member ✭✭
    edited June 13, 2018

    Personally, I think due to some dialogue with Botticca during "A Kindness returned", where Rox mentions that she doesn't have Warband, plus the fact she fights with distinction with the Olmakhan, that she will choose to join them and will be elected to replace Elder Narn on the Olmakhan Council.

  • ZDragon.3046ZDragon.3046 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    I have to ask, since I see this written a lot. What makes her so likeable to everyone? She has very little personality and almost no character development since LS1. Any other character who appears with those traits seems to get slammed by the community, but Rox seems to have bucked that trend

    I assume she's so bland as to be utterly inoffensive, but I am genuinely curious as to why so many people like her

    I think the reason she lacks a back story and personality is because it might be slightly twined with another charr we know but sense that charr went missing for a long period of time then came back at a point where we kind of didnt have time to worry about growing personalities as there was a dragon trying to turn everyone's brains/bodies into plant food. Rox never really got the screen time along side rytlock to have that personality.

    I have a feeling unless Rytlock suddenly gets more screen time along with Rox then we wont see her personality build. She cant really build it along side the Grumpy norn because he is too focused on being a grump and even if they chose to build it in twined with such a grumpy norn it would be one that not many players like or approve of.

    People like probably her because unlike most charr character anet shells out into the stories she has a heart and compassion even in the most grim situations its possibly her lack of a personality that allows her to always stand tall and offer empathy when other characters cant or are too distressed to do so and even with under developed personality its the one thing she has that most charr dont show because they are born and raised not to.

    Rytlock for example expresses some empathy but he often smart mouths it and was not always like that and has changed a good bit over the living stories. Even now he refuses to show his soft spots often or anyway near the same as Rox does. He shows it to the player character but thats only because he has grown to respect/like the player character more over the years. Rox respected and showed compassion right away without smart mouthing or hiding it.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.