No more..... [spoilers]

castlemanic.3198

Looking back at the lore of season 3 episode 6 specifically and some core heart of thorns lore, i've started to become really sad.

My three favourite races of all time, the forgotten, the seers and the mursaat, seem to have all died out.

At some point, regarding the exalted, they mention that the forgotten recruited and changed humans into the exalted, and that the 'last of them' moved on or something of that manner.

We then get to episode 6, and not only do we have the notes within the shining blade headquarters saying that the last seer lay dying and gave them the shining blade weapon, but also at the end of the episode, Lazarus dies with a pretty clear intention that he was the last of the mursaat (especially with the dissipating Eye of Janthir).

Is this it, then? Are we never going to see any of these three races again? Why would arenanet kill three unique ancient races that could have brought so much more to the franchise?

I don't mean bring them back as if they're in their prime and have such significant influence as to become major allies/enemies, but like if there was a camp of seers hanging out somewhere, forgotten in the crystal desert or even some mursaat in the mists/Isles of Janthir, just the last remnants of these races that could relay their history to us directly instead of having us read about it through broken runestones or tomes, just anything to see a living one of these races that isn't even killed immediately (like, say, a completely apathetic jaded mursaat who's just standing by and is amusing himself with the goings on of the world after losing his entire race and ambition).

I really hope this isn't the end for any of these races, but it seems like the devs don't even want to touch these three races anymore.

From a developers standpoint, I can imagine it is not preferable to keep adding content that gives non-GW1 players the feeling that they are missing out (unfortunately for us veterans who want more throwbacks). Given that LS season 3 and PoF already seem to heavily invest into throwbacks to GW1, I'd guess that after PoF (perhaps incl. LS season 4) we will see fewer throwbacks.

As long as the extinction of the old races are not confirmed, I'd like to believe (without any proof/indication at all, just my personal preference) that some of them might wait out the current rising of the ED's (wherever/however they might have hid during the last rising) to be able to guide the survivors for an entire "ED-sleepy-time", instead of having to deal with stuff like the Mursaat treason and the following war as happened last time. Of course, this would leave an opening for them to come to the forefront now that the imbalance of magic might destroy the entire planet and ruin their plans... (again, just wishful thinking)

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@TheConquerer.8639 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:We'll likely see a way Branded forgotten

Don't the Forgotten have magic that directly conflicts with Elder Dragon corruption?

That's what I've heard some say. Cannot confirm myself though..

Hate Is Fuel

From the Forgotten path in Arah, the Forgotten have magic that can cleanse the mental form of dragon corruption, and which can effectively inoculate a creature or object against corruption. Whether they've used that on themselves to prevent them from being corrupted is unknown. That said, there do seem to be indications that none of the elder races or their artifacts can be corrupted - with the possible exception of jotun, but even then it seems to be a matter of a particular group willingly aligning with Jormag rather than being corrupted in the traditional sense (although I'd need to replay that sequence to be sure - I last played it during beta...)

@draxynnic.3719 said:

@TheConquerer.8639 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:We'll likely see a way Branded forgotten

Don't the Forgotten have magic that directly conflicts with Elder Dragon corruption?

That's what I've heard some say. Cannot confirm myself though..

Hate Is Fuel

From the Forgotten path in Arah, the Forgotten have magic that can cleanse the mental form of dragon corruption, and which can effectively inoculate a creature or object against corruption. Whether they've used that on
themselves
to prevent them from being corrupted is unknown. That said, there do seem to be indications that none of the elder races or their artifacts can be corrupted - with the possible exception of jotun, but even then it seems to be a matter of a particular group willingly aligning with Jormag rather than being corrupted in the traditional sense (although I'd need to replay that sequence to be sure - I last played it during beta...)

They also have magic to prevent corruption as shown with their vase and tome in that dungeon as well as the Exalted being immune to Dragon corruption.

If you remember, there were 5 ancient races that were much like our 5 major races in the current game, the races that players can choose for their character. Those 5 races were the dwarves, the mursaat, the seer, the jotun and the forgotten. Of those races, only the jotun still exist, and they've reverted to a primitive state and are almost universally hostile to outsiders. The dwarves have been turned into animated stone statues (I'd like to say stone golems, but golem has a specific definition in GW); the mursaat were nearly wiped out by the titans, and the few that were left died in the War on Kryta (save Lazarus whose story plays out over Season 3); the seers were dying out even as humans met them back during Prophecies, at least as far as we know; and the forgotten were always pretty mysterious, and the Movement of the World had said they had vanished over the 200 or so years since Eye of the North. Honestly, I'm more surprised that we haven't learned that the jotun are also dying off for some bizarre reason or another. This is probably not a coincidence.

It's not necessarily the last we'll hear of the races, though. We still don't know where the mursaat homeland is, or at least haven't explored it outside of one massive prison. We explored a mursaat stronghold in Ember Bay with information we'd never learned before. Ember Bay also gave us... most of a dwarf, only the second one people have seen in the modern day (the first, naturally, being Ogden Stonehealer). There's plenty of room to learn more about the ancient races, but it seems that just like Rata Novus, it will be abandoned ruins rather than anthropological studies.

• 2 weeks later...

@Emissary Vex.5690 said:I remember being annoyed when Livia said the Mursaat are now extinct. Surely not all of the Mursaat came back to Tyria. We have literally no reason to assume that they are not still maintaining a civilization in the Mists.

Yea, it's more of a statement that's true within the knowledge of, well, everyone in the world were connected with, but that's far from the entire world, much less beyond

Except you'd also think that the seers, the mortal enemies of the mursaat, would know if any were left within the mists. But it seems like the last seer gave kryta the shining blade to kill 'the last mursaat', along with the vaporised eye of janthir as well confirms the extinction of the mursaat and the seers.

@Nick Lentz.6982 said:The current writers clearly do not care all that much. Guild wars is well over 10 years old now. They're catering to a new generation of players. This is common with most games that are multiple in a series that have been around for years. They're basically cutting ties with Gw1 and anything written prior to the events of gw2.

Then they should at least go to new locations, break up the stream of revisiting GW1 places

@Fenom.9457 said:

@Nick Lentz.6982 said:The current writers clearly do not care all that much. Guild wars is well over 10 years old now. They're catering to a new generation of players. This is common with most games that are multiple in a series that have been around for years. They're basically cutting ties with Gw1 and anything written prior to the events of gw2.

Then they should at least go to new locations, break up the stream of revisiting GW1 places

Well I'm still scratching my head on going to the crystal desert in the first place, yet. It was to basically retcon and end stories that people have been wondering about for a long time.

@Fenom.9457 said:

The only GW1 places that need revisiting are Cantha(not even the exact same areas as the southern parts of Kaineng, Echovald and the Jade Sea are unexplored and may be interesting to visit) and the Realm of Torment(and only due to the visuals of the areas which Elona and the Crystal Desert lack).

@Rognik.2579 said:Honestly, I'm more surprised that we haven't learned that the jotun are also dying off for some bizarre reason or another. This is probably not a coincidence.

I actually think the jotun's choosing to become inert/magically inept is kinda keeping them in a state of stasis in the world.

@Mickey Frogeater.1470 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:

The only GW1 places that need revisiting are Cantha(not even the exact same areas as the southern parts of Kaineng, Echovald and the Jade Sea are unexplored and may be interesting to visit) and the Realm of Torment(and only due to the visuals of the areas which Elona and the Crystal Desert lack).

The Far Shiverpeaks, Charr Homelands, Depths of Tyria, Kourna, Istan... still plenty of other old ground left to tread, if they've a mind for it.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:

The Far Shiverpeaks, Charr Homelands, Depths of Tyria, Kourna, Istan... still plenty of other old ground left to tread, if they've a mind for it.

Far Shiverpeaks, the Charr Homelands, the Depths of Tyria, Kourna and Istan all seem dull compared to the Canthan Regions(Slums in the Southwest, Himalayan Mountains in the Middle Southwest, Echovald Forest in the Middle Southeast, Jade Sea in the Southwest, Elaborate Asian City in the West, Asian Green Hills in the East, a Palace in the Northwest and a Rocky Mountain in the Northeast) and the Realm of Torment(Blood Stained Mountain, Fleshy Landscape, Domain littered with Dead Bugs and a Pass filled with Eyes & Teeth).

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:Personal taste. I also find the Realm of Torment a compelling option, but on the other hand, I find Kourna, Istan, and the Depths to be intriguing, and Kaineng and Echovald to be rather dull.

Kourna is Badlands(seen a lot of that in Maguuma Wastes), Istan is Tropical Island with Egyptian Buildings(seen a lot of that in the Crystal Oasis and Elon Riverlands) and the Depths of Tyria is various caves at one of which has already have been visited(Oola's Lab)...

Kourna is badlands, savannas, cultivated river valleys, and rocky coasts, all of it (in GW1) largely populated by creatures we haven't seen elsewhere. Istan is a jungle island with ruins that have history- the Sunspears, the Primeval Dynasty, lingering mysteries and unanswered questions- but as far as the scenery goes, there's more than one way to do a jungle, and we still haven't seen any ruined Primeval cities yet. And the Depths of Tyria... the Depths of Tyria were so many things I couldn't list them all, more environmental variation then all the rest of EotN put together. Yes, for the most part they had rock overhead instead of sky, but that was by far the least important bit of the subterranean world. Draconis Mons was just a taste of what it could be like in GW2... and that's before you raise the possibility of the six lost asuran cities.

On the other hand, Kaineng is a teetering slum copied across several maps, and Echovald is gray on gray against black, with splashes of gray-green for contrast. Like I said- personal taste.

As someone who didn't play GW1 and does hate it when its clear references are being made to GW1 content without being adequately explained here in GW2, I do wish that these races (at least the forgotten, as they are the most interesting from what I know) are not extinct and that we will see them in the future.

Archived