Sword and Axe vs. Greatsword

Dezember.1295

Hey!

So for my power setup (open world / fracts) I've been running with LB and S/A. But yesterday's patch notes had me wondering if I should swap my S/A for a GS (and I did some testing, but I couldnt notice that much of a difference tbh). Obviously, best sheet damage would probably be to run GS - S/A or something, but it is very clumsy to run with double melee weapons, so I am going to keep my longbow as backup.

Have you guys tested GS vs. S/A yet? What conclusions did you reach?

I haven't run it in pve since the patch but i have in pvp and I liked it. good mobility from the GS, a nice pull from the axe, a block and projectile defense. if you pet swap, stun and then maul you can pull some pretty big numbers.

I used to run full melee back in the day and once you get used to it the dps is great, i've always preferred gs>sw anyway because of the evade frames it just lacked some dps.

@Prophet.1584 said:I haven't run it in pve since the patch but i have in pvp and I liked it. good mobility from the GS, a nice pull from the axe, a block and projectile defense. if you pet swap, stun and then maul you can pull some pretty big numbers.

I used to run full melee back in the day and once you get used to it the dps is great, i've always preferred gs>sw anyway because of the evade frames it just lacked some dps.

Ah, I see :D Thanks for your reply!

@Dezember.1295 said:Hey!

So for my power setup (open world / fracts) I've been running with LB and S/A. But yesterday's patch notes had me wondering if I should swap my S/A for a GS (and I did some testing, but I couldnt notice that much of a difference tbh). Obviously, best sheet damage would probably be to run GS - S/A or something, but it is very clumsy to run with double melee weapons, so I am going to keep my longbow as backup.

im a big noob playing with a druid and im wondering, are you playing druid with LB and S/A ? Or are you soulbeast ??

Because im running druid with Staff and Axe/warhorn , and while its awesome for support, i dont do much dmg in open world.

@blackjinx.4975 said:

@Dezember.1295 said:Hey!

im a big noob playing with a druid and im wondering, are you playing druid with LB and S/A ? Or are you soulbeast ??

Because im running druid with Staff and Axe/warhorn , and while its awesome for support, i dont do much dmg in open world.

I run Druid in WvW and general PvP for the mass-stealth, condi clearing and decent support. Other than that I run with Soulbeast in open world and fracts.When I've played druid I've usually been running with LB - S/A or S/D. In PvP I simply swap the LB for a staff :D

If you enjoy druid, then I personally would recommend the power builds. From my experience, the extra healing power from gear is not required for druids unless you're playing a supportive role in PvP - you're going to have enough sustain to keep yourself and a small party of 5 happy unless you're fighting some really dangerous stuff. I ran full zerker (power + precision + ferocity) but if you want a tankier build then you can change ferocity for toughness / vitality. As for weapons, in general I keep to the idea of one melee and one ranged weapon (but that is my personal choice). If you prefer staff over longbow, I suggest keeping it - what matters most is what you enjoy! - and add a GS or S/A/W/D to deal damage up close.

For me the sword always seemed a defensive weapon while the GS is decided offensive, it provides a great deal of mobility making it easy to flank with any skill. As a ranger I only go melee offensively, if I need to evade I'll use a utility skill. I run a power build, I don't know how the S/X stacks up with a condi build.

It's GS that's the defensive weapon. Multiple evades, mobility, a block, and a stun, with reasonably short cooldowns - it's good for outplaying your opponent and wearing them down. S/A has a lot more burst with Axe 5 (if the target stands still... gah) and sustained dps from that beastly autoattack. Basically, S/A for dps and GS for defense or utility.

@DeadTreeJig.6714 said:For me the sword always seemed a defensive weapon while the GS is decided offensive, it provides a great deal of mobility making it easy to flank with any skill. As a ranger I only go melee offensively, if I need to evade I'll use a utility skill. I run a power build, I don't know how the S/X stacks up with a condi build.

I see, thank you for your input :)

@Rhyse.8179 said:It's GS that's the defensive weapon. Multiple evades, mobility, a block, and a stun, with reasonably short cooldowns - it's good for outplaying your opponent and wearing them down. S/A has a lot more burst with Axe 5 (if the target stands still... gah) and sustained dps from that beastly autoattack. Basically, S/A for dps and GS for defense or utility.

Ah, yes - that certainly makes sense! Thanks folks :D

@Rhyse.8179 said:It's GS that's the defensive weapon. Multiple evades, mobility, a block, and a stun, with reasonably short cooldowns - it's good for outplaying your opponent and wearing them down. S/A has a lot more burst with Axe 5 (if the target stands still... gah) and sustained dps from that beastly autoattack. Basically, S/A for dps and GS for defense or utility.

I was talking more about play style than pure dps, you can be very aggressive/offensive with GS. With the short cooldowns and mobility I can apply constant damage and finish quickly, I use the LB for wearing them down. :) Also, I was referring to open world, not pvp.

As for evades, the only GS evade is power stab (last of auto attack) and it's not much of an evade :)

@Rhyse.8179 said:

@Rhyse.8179 said:As for evades, the only GS evade is power stab (last of auto attack) and it's not much of an evade :)

Unless they nerfed since I last looked at the tooltip, swoop has an evade during part of it.

Edit: Just looked, you're correct. It has 0.5 second evade while swinging, not that helpful if you're hurting. :) IMO the only two real evades for the ranger are Lightning Reflexes (utility) and Hornet Sting (sword). Lightening Reflexes also removes a condition which is important after the Signet of Renewal nerf.

Archived