[Suggestion] Mail ALL for Guilds/Friends.

Odokuro.5049

With how strict the game is with suppressing you after just two mails, I feel this would be very useful for sending the same message via mail to all people either it be in-guild or friends list (They would have to be mutual friends, this would prevent bots ect. from adding you and mailing you over and over.)

Reason I am suggesting this, is, say your asking your guild members for donations or you want to tell them about upcoming changes to the guild, ect. and since no guild really has everyone on during the same time, being able to mail something to all the people in-guild/friends list would make it easier, and I feel people would pay closer attention to their mail, then say, a guild message (Because really, who reads those outside of getting like Discord/Website info.)

I'll give you an example, say you run a large guild of 300ish members and you need to contact each of them with the same information:

"Hello we are collecting Elder Wood Planks, Mithril Ingots, and Major Runes of Holding, for a Guild Upgrade, please donate what you can or deposite gold into the Guild Bank".

Now you can mail only two of the three hundred people in your Guild at a time, and be suppressed for what feels like an eternity - OR - be able to mail ALL members at once.

Example for friends:

"Hey all, as you know I stream, and I am doing a big gold giveaway, and I thought I would give people on my friends list a heads-up so you all can try."

Ect.

Now people could be given an additional option such as, "Block mail", and this would remove them from the mailing list, but still allow them to get whispers or see you communicating in game, ect.

What do you all think?

For announcing stuff to the guild, you have the Message of the Day. If noone in your guilds reads it, put in some interesting stuff. We write it daily with easy/fast dailies (waypoints and a small discription), a list of the PSNA and a daily hint. The hint is sometimes stuff for moneymaking, sometimes secrets, and sometimes we use that space to leave a message for our guildmembers. As our members rely on the information we post, they read it mostly.

Christmas is close and I am running into the mass-mailing issue again, as every year. I kindly ask not to ban me for that, and because of my weird account name, as every year ^^. And I'll probably spend half a day, mailing all my guildmates, due to the stupid 2-mail-rule. I totally understand the purpose of this mechanic, goldsellers and other scammers are a plague.

The 101 stereotype answer I get for years: "Well, put your stuff in the guildbank and leave a message." If I put a stack of 100 Globs of ectoplasm in the guildbank and ask everyone to kindly pick one, I will have 98 still in the guildbank when I return 3 days later. It does not work. People are afraid to pick something themselves and it is not how you gift someone. A gift is something personal, with a nice letter.

And yes, I wish for a mass-mailing tool for years. I also wish for a communicator which allows me to chat with several people simultanously. But on the other hand, I got used to the tedious anual procedure. You get a feeling about the time you have to wait between the mails and we have wintersday going on, plenty of distraction ^^.

Restricting it to a certain rank in the guild would prevent people from joining guilds just to spam them. (Lower-ranked members could always pass on messages to officers, who could then mass-send them.) It certainly does seem like a practical thing to be able to do.

@"HnRkLnXqZ.1870" said:" If I put a stack of 100 Globs of ectoplasm in the guildbank and ask everyone to kindly pick one, I will have 98 still in the guildbank when I return 3 days later. It does not work. People are afraid to pick something themselves and it is not how you gift someone. A gift is something personal, with a nice letter.

Also, how many guild members actually have clearance to withdraw from their guild bank? A way to mass-send something to your guild would be awesome.

@Miss Lana.5276 said:How about make a free discord server, try to get everyone on there, and then put that message in the discord? It'll be a good workaround while we wait to hear anything back from a dev.

Guild Wars 2 is heading in a direction where Third-Party apps are doing a lot of the work for them. Build templates, Dps meters and now Discord as a means to communicate effectively through 'mail'.

I hope this changes, someone that plays GW2 might not be on discord 24/7, and visa versa. Having a permission to message all guild mates would be amazing and a huge QoL feature for running a big guild like I do.

@"Miss Lana.5276" said:How about make a free discord server, try to get everyone on there, and then put that message in the discord? It'll be a good workaround while we wait to hear anything back from a dev.

I've got myself a Discord server but it seems that a fair amount of people aren't social butterflies or are, "Shy", either way I try to incorporate a message to send out to everyone via, "Guild Message", or @Everyone on Discord, but sometimes it doesn't pan out.

Fingers crossed That this idea, gets some sort of traction or atleast make a rank ability in-guild so you can mass mail people with out being suppressed, or mass mail mutual friends for that matter.

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

@"Miss Lana.5276" said:How about make a free discord server, try to get everyone on there, and then put that message in the discord? It'll be a good workaround while we wait to hear anything back from a dev.

Guild Wars 2 is heading in a direction where Third-Party apps are doing a lot of the work for them. Build templates, Dps meters and now Discord as a means to communicate effectively through 'mail'.

I hope this changes, someone that plays GW2 might not be on discord 24/7, and visa versa. Having a permission to message all guild mates would be amazing and a huge QoL feature for running a big guild like I do.

Third-party apps aren't doing a lot of the work. They're doing most - if not all of the work. You'd think ease of communication would be something they'd put in an MMO (especially because of the "multiplayer" M part). Hell, there's stuff in-game that isn't even explained in-game. You either have to know someone who knows what it is, or go to the wiki (which new players are most likely not gonna know about). Breakbars are a good example here.

And yeah, I do hope that a multi-mail option will become available. It's just all about how they can stop the spammers and gold sellers without hindering the legit community too much. Hopefully they'll figure out something though :/

• 6 months later...

As someone who just had to spend freaking forever mailing people in the guild due to a change in rules for the guild, I would absolutely love this feature. My suggestion to this would be to make it so only the guild owner can send out mails. One idea for if they are having trouble in the server side with dealing with a lot coming in at once is that they can hold the mails in a stack or something and send them out with the delay that they want and just let us know to not log out until it is finished and notify us when it is finished. You can't really do anything while waiting for the mails to all be sent out. And to avoid gold sellers just inviting you to guilds and spamming you maybe only make it available to mass send to you if you have accepted the guild request.

This is something that is very frustrating and I know will come up many more times in my guild career and would be super happy if we could get an answer as to why this wouldn't work.

I'd absolutely support this, as a feature. I would prefer it be a gated tool, so that the guild could open the privilege to some-but-not-all members, as it would be a touch annoying to have random people abuse, I suspect, rather than requiring an accepted membership or whatever.

I'm uncertain what the behaviour of > 10 mails is in a mailbox, and so, how this would interact, but I'd generally assume it should be available to all members -- a push version of the "message of the day" that requires a positive acknowledgment to dismiss.

I'd also find the implementation of exactly that suitable for any need I have ever had in guilds, a popup MoTD when requested, with a click-to-dismiss facility, rather than using classic mail. (eg: I'm pretty sure that the attachment of items and gold vs mail all is going to be a vague user experience annoyance....)

Archived