So are Black Lion Tickets super rare now?

Omnicron.2467

Just curious what other people have experienced, since I opened 13 Black Lion Chests with keys I have been farming and only got one ticket scrap. I expected at least 3. It is common sense that with the increase of possible items in the common and uncommen tier that the chance of getting tickets or scraps would come down drasitically, unless ANet have assigned a higher chance to them? Just wondering since every season new weapon skins come out for Tickets and it is one of the main reasons I see people farming/buy keys.

My friend who opens a lot of chests got a lot fewer scraps with the current chest offerings. However, they got a lot more weapon or armor unlocks, that have a reduced selection, so my friend ended up with more unlocks of value than they would have gotten from typical amounts of scraps.With too few chests to do a fair comparison, it appears roughly that they get just as many skins, but divided into different categories besides the scraps.

They prefer this way, because the unlocks have been more interesting than getting more tickets. Your mileage will probably vary.

Since there are twice as much possible drops on the common loot table with the scraps as before, your chances of getting a scrap diminished, if the chance of getting a common drop from a BLC havent at least doubled.

The same goes for your chances of getting a full ticket from an uncommon drop, as the amount of drops on the uncommon loot table tripled, since they moved a full weapon set in it.

RNG is weird. Out of 25 chests I opened Tuesday, I only got 2 ticket scraps. But, I also got 2 frostforged weapon skins (uncommon drops) in a row out of them, as well as the mini wintersday mounts. In total, at least 3 uncommon drops. Before this update, getting any uncommon drops from chests was rare, and getting anything rare was extremely rare.

But to be honest, it has felt like ticket scraps have dropped a lot less for a while though. I mean for at least a couple months or so.

It is what it is I guess. At least they seem to be making an effort to improve our chances of getting decent stuff. It use to be that weapon skins were rare and super rare, and now we have them as uncommon, thus increasing the odds of getting 1.

The only complaint I have is getting 2 Black Lion Commemorative Coins. They are listed in the common drops and seem to only have a purpose of selling to a vendor for 1 gold each. I would have much rather got revive orbs or transmutation charges instead since those actually have a use to me. (Seriously, it's not like gold is hard to get). https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Commemorative_Coin

Oh, I did get 1 miniature claim ticket out of those 25 chests. But like the weapon ticket scraps, for a while now it's felt as though mini claim tickets drop way less then they use to.

Overall, I think they finally got the rarity of items about right. The only super rare items are the permanent contracts, which you could say is a "jackpot" type of prize that you would have in other MMOs. Still room for improvement, but I think they're heading in a good direction.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:My friend who opens a lot of chests got a lot fewer scraps with the current chest offerings. However, they got a lot more weapon or armor unlocks, that have a reduced selection, so my friend ended up with more unlocks of value than they would have gotten from typical amounts of scraps.With too few chests to do a fair comparison, it appears roughly that they get just as many skins, but divided into different categories besides the scraps.

They prefer this way, because the unlocks have been more interesting than getting more tickets. Your mileage will probably vary.

The problem with the guaranteed unlocks is that it's another layer of RNG. With a Black Lion Ticket I can choose a weapon I like - both the weapon type and (by waiting to spend them) the style of it. With the guaranteed unlocks you get what you're given. I've gotten 2 or 3 Black Lion weapons from those, but none of them are weapons I'm ever likely to use.

You can also "swap" black lion weapons by choosing a skin to sell on the TP and using the gold to get something else. Which then opens up those skins to people who can't or won't buy keys or have horrible luck getting tickets.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:My friend who opens a lot of chests got a lot fewer scraps with the current chest offerings. However, they got a lot more weapon or armor unlocks, that have a reduced selection, so my friend ended up with more unlocks of value than they would have gotten from typical amounts of scraps.With too few chests to do a fair comparison, it appears roughly that they get just as many skins, but divided into different categories besides the scraps.

The problem with the guaranteed unlocks is that it's another layer of RNG. With a Black Lion Ticket I can choose a weapon I like - both the weapon type and (by waiting to spend them) the style of it. With the guaranteed unlocks you get what you're given. I've gotten 2 or 3 Black Lion weapons from those, but none of them are weapons I'm ever likely to use.

You can also "swap" black lion weapons by choosing a skin to sell on the TP and using the gold to get something else. Which then opens up those skins to people who can't or won't buy keys or have horrible luck getting tickets.

Sure. That goes for all the dye packs, too. On the one hand, you get a bunch (I'm estimating approximately 40% chance per key to get at least 1); on the other, those are far more likely to be basic dyes worth only 5-10 silver, unlikely to be worth 50-100s, and very unlikely to be worth more than 1g (and even the exclusives have tanked in value).

In my friend's case, they have plenty of BL tickets, so (for them) the random unlocks are more fun. And since 'fun' is entirely the reason they pay an optional subscription to ANet for 50-keys every so often, this works out better for them. In contrast, those spending on and farming for keys to get something specific are often disappointed, even if that something specific is "just a few tickets."

That's why I encourage everyone to remember: BL chests are designed to drop junk. Get keys because you really enjoy that moment right before you open, that anticipation that you might get something really interesting, something game changing. Because (spoiler alert) you won't; the super rare items are extremely rare and most of us will never see them drop.

@Danikat.8537 said:

^This!

I did Key Runs despite the fact that I dislike gambling becasue I alwayss had a good chance to get craps and tickets. I could at least buy something to trade fro gold if I was not interested. Now it is RNG for the chance at RNG???

It seems the market has responded too since the new Glacial skins are 75g whereas the newest 1 ticket skins were always 50g :(

@Omnicron.2467 said:I did Key Runs despite the fact that I dislike gambling becasue I alwayss had a good chance to get craps and tickets. I could at least buy something to trade fro gold if I was not interested. Now it is RNG for the chance at RNG???

It seems the market has responded too since the new Glacial skins are 75g whereas the newest 1 ticket skins were always 50g :(

That was is a bit less certain since the set itself is thematically fitting for the time and probably one of the nicer ones(without being too garish) to be released recently.

Archived