Distortion was needed for WvW

Deemo.6094

WvW Needs distortion sharing. Now 1st off i would like to point out a few things that can happen in WvW that can not and do not happen in PvE raids, like Winds CC chains, impossible downsate ressing, commander focus, just to name a few. Now to the point......... Distortion sharing! Yes, OP as fuck in a game mode designed for encounters to force a reaction from players (like PvE raid bosses) but NEEDED for game modes like WvW where the design team brings in skills that completely nagate anything a player can do to defend VS the skills they bring into the game. im going to talk about EPIDEMIC for a second here. It was Strong, so strong in fact that so many ppl complained about it in PvP/WvW that it was "ninja Nerffed" from WvW without even a mention on the updates. Anyway, this WAS needed to be fair and was ~ meh ~ kinda a good way to deal with the problem, HOWEVER it wasnt changed from PvE due to PvE necros NEEEDING this skill to make them viable and more useful. WvW mesmers and WvW skilled players NEED distortion sharing in this meta to promote good orginised gameplay that can help them though this shit fucked meta you created, anet. My point being that u need to think about WvW Before you nerff PvE the same way u think about PvE before you nerff WvW ON ALL Factors and in this i call for a WvW RETRAIT in distortion sharing for mesmers PLEASE............. FFS it shouldnt be "Well i got fucked cause Winds was down" for a orginised group of players in a PvP game. mesmer is basicaly dead for group play in wvw now due to this distortion nerff so gj, yeah ppl will still play it but itll only be stupid veil or heal blah blah

W V W Needs distortion share

@joneirikb.7506 said:Someone link that video with a group of mesmers and stuff standing for several minutes before a keep door, and just not dying. We really don't need to make that easier.

You mean the one were an entire group of mesmers rotate the old distortion in front of a keep door doing NOTHING? As in they basically take up player spots for their server and do NOTHING besides draw attention and otherwise being useless?

Yup, totally overpowered.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@joneirikb.7506 said:Someone link that video with a group of mesmers and stuff standing for several minutes before a keep door, and just not dying. We really don't need to make that easier.

You mean the one were an entire group of mesmers rotate the old distortion in front of a keep door doing NOTHING? As in they basically take up player spots for their server and do NOTHING besides draw attention and otherwise being useless?

Yup that one, but it kept a bunch of people busy, because no one could be arsed to figure out they where doing no damage :p Also it would definitively be used for trolling. Doesn't need to be overpowered to be an annoyance (just look at ghost thief)

@joneirikb.7506 said:

Yup that one, but it kept a bunch of people busy, because no one could be kitten to figure out they where doing no damage :p Also it would definitively be used for trolling. Doesn't need to be overpowered to be an annoyance (just look at ghost thief)

Balance is not done around things which are annoying, but game breaking.

Maybe if something was so annoying that you couldn't escape it or escape being affected by it this would warrant a change. Don't recall this to be the case. There was also no way to gain a benefit from this because you literally needed 5 mesmer to achieve permanent invulnerability while all of them were doing nothing else.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Yup that one, but it kept a bunch of people busy, because no one could be kitten to figure out they where doing no damage :p Also it would definitively be used for trolling. Doesn't need to be overpowered to be an annoyance (just look at ghost thief)

Maybe if something was so annoying that you couldn't escape it or escape being affected by it this would warrant a change. Don't recall this to be the case. There was also no way to gain a benefit from this because you literally needed 5 mesmer to achieve permanent invulnerability while all of them were doing nothing else.

Well what if they don't share it just between mesmers but have some doing damage in between, or what if they do that in a zerg and have parts of the zerg be basically invulnerable for different periods of time. I do think that sounds pretty broken. I mean, there's a good reason why Aegis only blocks 1 instance of damage per application and yet aegis is still a strong desirable boon ;) Think about it, would you like to see a buff to aegis? Maybe make it absorb 3 instances of damage instead of just 1! that sounds nice right? If your answer is no, then drop your idea of distortion share to that extend beeing okay :)

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:

Well what if they don't share it just between mesmers but have some doing damage in between, or what if they do that in a zerg and have parts of the zerg be basically invulnerable for different periods of time.

Yes, what if the mesmers were sharing their damage immunity with 1-2 other people. You now have a party of 5, where 3-4 group members are dedicated to keeping up immunity (which is no longer permanent) so 2 people can do something productive. Let's assume this group meets a normal group without mesmers, I'd predict the following outcome:

the regular group waits out the immunity, then bursts down the mesmer group due to lack of pressure and lack of survival the mesmer group has.

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:I do think that sounds pretty broken. I mean, there's a good reason why Aegis only blocks 1 instance of damage per application and yet aegis is still a strong desirable boon

Aegis is a boon which has a duration and it blocks the NEXT attack, it's not a 1 second immunity. That's a huge difference between.

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:;) Think about it, would you like to see a buff to aegis? Maybe make it absorb 3 instances of damage instead of just 1! that sounds nice right? If your answer is no, then drop your idea of distortion share to that extend beeing okay :)

Sure, let all aegis have a base duration of 1 second and let it block 3 attacks. A great new addition for burst protection and hardly overpowered.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Well what if they don't share it just between mesmers but have some doing damage in between, or what if they do that in a zerg and have parts of the zerg be basically invulnerable for different periods of time.

Yes, what if the mesmers were sharing their damage immunity with 1-2 other people. You now have a party of 5, where 3-4 group members are dedicated to keeping up immunity (which is no longer permanent) so 2 people can do something productive. Let's assume this group meets a normal group without mesmers, I'd predict the following outcome:

the regular group waits out the immunity, then bursts down the mesmer group due to lack of pressure and lack of survival the mesmer group has.

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:I do think that sounds pretty broken. I mean, there's a good reason why Aegis only blocks 1 instance of damage per application and yet aegis is still a strong desirable boon

Aegis is a boon which has a duration and it blocks the NEXT attack, it's not a 1 second immunity. That's a huge difference between.

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:;) Think about it, would you like to see a buff to aegis? Maybe make it absorb 3 instances of damage instead of just 1! that sounds nice right? If your answer is no, then drop your idea of distortion share to that extend beeing okay :)

Sure, let all aegis have a base duration of 1 second and let it block 3 attacks. A great new addition for burst protection and hardly overpowered.

Wow okay... Not sure how to argue with you...You probably are aware that you usually have more than one guardian in your zerg, and most likely every single one of your guardians would be able to provide a certain amount of aegis uptime which would account to more than "block three attacks within 1s sometime" - just as it was the case with distortion.

Anyway, I don't see why we NEED distortion sharing in wvw, it doesn't provide anything we couldn't do by investing a little more attention into what we already do. Distortion is basically just a mechanic that lets you play worse than you would otherwise which in my opinion is a bad mechanic.That is also why I like Aegis the way it is right now (actually I think some Aegis durations are too long) because it doesn't let you ignore mechanics it rather gives you another way to deal with them.

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:

Wow okay... Not sure how to argue with you...You probably are aware that you usually have more than one guardian in your zerg, and most likely every single one of your guardians would be able to provide a certain amount of aegis uptime which would account to more than "block three attacks within 1s sometime" - just as it was the case with distortion.

Anyway, I don't see why we NEED distortion sharing in wvw, it doesn't provide anything we couldn't do by investing a little more attention into what we already do. Distortion is basically just a mechanic that lets you play worse than you would otherwise which in my opinion is a bad mechanic.That is also why I like Aegis the way it is right now (actually I think some Aegis durations are too long) because it doesn't let you ignore mechanics it rather gives you another way to deal with them.

I never said we needed distortion sharing, I was arguing against the nonsense that it was overpowered in WvW.

It was changed due to pve, that's clear to everyone.

@Cyninja.2954 said:I never said we needed distortion sharing, I was arguing against the nonsense that it was overpowered in WvW.

Well it wasn't overpowered but it wasn't healthy for WvW either, a mechanic that let's you ignore all mechanics in the game is pretty silly.People always complain about how boring WvW is at times with pirate ship meta or previously the stab meta and what not, distortion sharing is one of those mechanics that don't make the game more interesting, only simpler with no counterplay or interaction. Stability on the other side has many interactions including boonshare, uptime, corruption, boon strip and isn't just universally strong, it does prevent cc's but also not forever, just because you have 5s stability doesn't mean you won't be cc'd for the next 5s. On the other hand, distortion would do exactly that.(I also never said that YOU said we NEED distortion sharing in wvw, I was referring to the title of the thread)

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:I never said we needed distortion sharing, I was arguing against the nonsense that it was overpowered in WvW.

Well it wasn't overpowered but it wasn't healthy for WvW either, a mechanic that let's you ignore all mechanics in the game is pretty silly.People always complain about how boring WvW is at times with pirate ship meta or previously the stab meta and what not, distortion sharing is one of those mechanics that don't make the game more interesting, only simpler with no counterplay or interaction. Stability on the other side has many interactions including boonshare, uptime, corruption, boon strip and isn't just universally strong, it does prevent cc's but also not forever, just because you have 5s stability doesn't mean you won't be cc'd for the next 5s. On the other hand, distortion would do exactly that.(I also never said that YOU said we NEED distortion sharing in wvw, I was referring to the title of the thread)

Fair point, I guess it doesn't matter now anyway since distortion was changed.

As far as wvw, I wish arenanet did some restructuring or maybe even add some new game mode. I have very fond memories (which I am sure are clouded by nostalgia) of the old DAoC realm versus realm. Warhammer Online never got that part right and I do believe there is a market for this type of game mode.

@Deemo.6094 said:Aegis does literal nothing when youre inside enemy winds cause well duh, cant apply boons while inside. Also not once did i say anything about distortion being all mes is good for.

If you're staying in enemy WoD's you're doing something wrong anyway and outside of WoD the real issue is Enchantment Collapse.And if you're looking to make up for your own mistakes with a mechanic that makes player skill irrelevant then I know know the reason for this thread ;)

Archived