Does world even matter anymore?

Breidr.9830

I've been doing a little digging before I start my character as to what world I want to make my home. It only matter in WvW, so I guess that's what I need to focus on when making a choice, right?

All the "recommended" servers are full, so I'm pretty much going to end up on a linked server. Is there a difference at this point. I've sought out some community forums and noticed that a lot have gone inactive. I was actually leaning towards SoR, but the forums have been largely inactive for a year. Crystal Desert has it's own forums and discord which is nice. It's hard for me to really play on the weekends when most guilds hold events, so I wanted to try and reach the server community as a whole if possible. I was actually shocked at how little GW2 players use discord. I haven't used TS in a long time.

How is WvW currently? Should I even bother trying to pick the "right" world? Currently on IoJ, linked with SoS. Should I just ride the links, or attempt to find a community?

As you say it only matters for WvW and work links aren't permanent and can change at any time, so there's no way to predict it. Not everyone plays a ton of WvW, I ,know I don't, so it's less important for me. Try to get on the best world you can, but unless you really think you're going to be into WvW, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

If you are keen and an active team player that enjoys supporting your WvW server then yes - it only matters if you're gonna' do WvW content on a regular basis.

• Servers don't always stay full, make sure you check back often to see if they're open but keep in mind it costs gems to transfer
  • Linked servers may be switched with a different host server, it just depends if the host server requires a link or not
  • While community forums exist, your best bet would be to stay active in-game and look for guilds advertising in map/team chat to give you an idea of the various active WvW guilds out there
  • You'll find it differs from server to server regarding the use of TS or discord; the opinion I've most heard is that TS is oldschool/established therefore the preferred tool
  • WvW is active and very much alive - come play with us and get some bags! (especially reset day) I'd dare state with PoF just around the corner it's going to massively shake up the WvW meta which will bring in new and old players alike
  • You should attempt to find a solid community that is welcoming & engaging; don't be afraid to ask questions in chat, let people know you're new and looking for an active WvW guild that suits your timezone/play hours

Hope that helps answer your questions.

I think most servers do have a dedicated TS/Discord for WvW, they just don't advertise it publicly because they don't want people from other servers getting on and 'spying' on them. But once you've picked a server you can ask in WvW for the details.

Server specific forums on the other hand never really caught on, even when the PvE maps were separate. I think there's just not that much to talk about that's specific to your server. It's certainly not a good way to gauge the amount of activity on a server.

If you're concerned about having a regular group to play with on weekdays I think you'd be better off looking for a guild that's active during the week. One of my guilds actually does most of it's events on week nights (including guild missions and raids) because so many people are busy on weekends. Maybe put your own advert in the Looking for Guild section of this forum and specify the times and days you're usually online.

@Breidr.9830 said:I was actually shocked at how little GW2 players use discord. I haven't used TS in a long time.

Our host server (the bigger server our smaller server is currently linked to) is trying to move away from TS and get people into Discord. It is slow and painful process. I suspect as long someone is still willing to manage the old TS stuff people will just stay there forever.

But I think many guilds actually use Discord by now, because it is much easier to get guild members to transfer.

I played on FoW (Fissure of Woe) from the very start of GW2, after a few months it was at the bottom with the Vabbi server, with WvW there was basically never a great fight, always the greens that had the entire eternal battleground under control.After the server-merge it has increased a lot, if you just like to play WvW ever now and then choosing a low pop server is pretty nice, you will play with different servers and thus have different results a lot, instead of being the worst of the big single servers.

as for Pve content, it doesn't matter that much what server you choose, if you just look for a group for an event you will always have something to do.generaly if you decide to make a group for something people will join soon enough

Archived