Different Game Same Forum So It Seems

usnedward.9023

Well…I trolled the forums of my old MMOs.

WoW first, then to Rift, then to SWTOR…then a few more that I haven’t played but seem to be top MMO’s. Others that I have played were so full of bots they’re not worth mentioning.

Now before I move on, all these games I mentioned are PvE based with some type of PvP, BG or WvW aspect. These are not games based like some, that are strictly PvP type oriented so DO NOT try to compare those to these.

Know what I found revolving around the PvP / WvW game mode?

Devs gave up… this is op that is op…. nerf this buff that…. PvP is dead… WvW is dead… Stealth is bad... blah blah blah. The same complaints we see here.

We have two choices:

1. Play the game we are dealt with and enjoy life. Come on it’s only a game. That’s me.
  2. Moan and groan and accomplish nothing but certain high blood pressure. I get enough of that at work.

It is hard to balance a game of this magnitude in size and various modes. This game and others similar are money driven through PvE. The PvE player base is larger than the other game modes. So many people unhappy yet still play.

Don’t get me wrong the forums are here if for no other reason than for the community to help each other and ANET to sift through and TRY to fix the major issues. What you see as an issue ANET may have data to contradict that.

What say we give everyone a +1 sword, all the same armor type and skill and whack each other with splinters for hours? Can we give it a break? Probably not.

Personally, I try to come to these forums to see what works and what doesn’t for my class in all areas of the game. Well…except for PvP because truly I do not enjoy it like I thought I would.

I don’t like losing but I find ways around what many believe are faults in this game. I have a dedicated roamer and a dedicated grouper. If you are trying to do everything with one….well good luck to you.

You can get condi’d down just as fast as powered down. It’s all the same.

Of course take the next few pages to beat me down… it’s all good as I have thick skin.

@"Rumba.3174" said:Whats your point? This all sounds like some sort of diary you wrote.

Well this was...considering he numbered it. All the "diary" bits probably weren't necessary to make the point though.

@usnedward.9023 said:We have two choices:

1. Play the game we are dealt with and enjoy life. Come on it’s only a game. That’s me.
  2. Moan and groan and accomplish nothing but certain high blood pressure. I get enough of that at work.

@usnedward.9023 said:Personally, I try to come to these forums to see what works and what doesn’t for my class in all areas of the game. Well…except for PvP because truly I do not enjoy it like I thought I would.

In that case, before the patch you clearly saw that anything condi scourge works and any melee builds didn't.

@usnedward.9023 said:You can get condi’d down just as fast as powered down. It’s all the same.

Yea I understand. Both prob only takes 1 second for you.

@Rumba.3174 said:Whats your point? This all sounds like some sort of diary you wrote.

Thanks for not contributing anything.

@Blodeuyn.2751 said:Anet could have balanced this game mode if they had cared to do so. There is no excuse for the current state of wvw. Even small bugs take ages to fix.

Same type of comment as other forums as I mentioned. Could have, should have.... Do you still play and if so unhappy why play?

@ThunderPanda.1872 said:

@usnedward.9023 said:Personally, I try to come to these forums to see what works and what doesn’t for my class in all areas of the game. Well…except for PvP because truly I do not enjoy it like I thought I would.

In that case, before the patch you clearly saw that anything condi scourge works and any melee builds didn't.

@usnedward.9023 said:You can get condi’d down just as fast as powered down. It’s all the same.

Clearly you make assumptions. Clearly you seem upset as well.

So far none of you have done nothing but prove my point. So much anger over something YOU believe is wrong with the game yet NONE of you admit that this is a PvE game and you kind of are stuck with what is released. Diary? lol...I am making a point to which all of you really made no contributions or arguments against. sigh

@usnedward.9023 said:

@Rumba.3174 said:Whats your point? This all sounds like some sort of diary you wrote.

@Blodeuyn.2751 said:Anet could have balanced this game mode if they had cared to do so. There is no excuse for the current state of wvw. Even small bugs take
ages
to fix.

Same type of comment as other forums as I mentioned. Could have, should have.... Do you still play and if so unhappy why play?

So far none of you have done nothing but prove my point. So much anger over something YOU believe is wrong with the game yet NONE of you admit that this is a PvE game and you kind of are stuck with what is released. Diary? lol...I am making a point to which all of you really made no contributions or arguments against. sigh

Ultimatums are not really discussions. Your "point" was just as you stated.

1. Play and deal with it.

Or

1. Complain about it.

Why would anyone provide contributions or arguments to that? There isn't really anything to discuss here...

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:

@Blodeuyn.2751 said:Anet could have balanced this game mode if they had cared to do so. There is no excuse for the current state of wvw. Even small bugs take
ages
to fix.

Ultimatums are not really discussions. Your "point" was just as you stated.
  1. Play and deal with it.

Or
  1. Complain about it.

Why would anyone provide contributions or arguments to that? There isn't really anything to discuss here...

I guess I was hoping more focus would be generated on how most MMO forums of the games I mentioned would be more discussed for certain game modes. But clearly there isn't anything to discuss so you must agree? eh... I'm bored now.

@usnedward.9023 said:

ages
to fix.

Do you feel superior now? You want a candy?

You know what you’re doing now is equally pointless.

I appreciate this post but we also realize forums are where all the people who want to complain hang out. Players enjoying the game typically are playing or posting screenshots somewhere, making YouTube videos, streaming, running some guild events, farming or whatnot.

I think it should be more appropriate to elaborate the OP point though that most games are the same, there will always be balance issues and someone won't be satisfied...

Therefore I think more specific conclusions are:

1) bandwagon onto whatever class you feel are OP so you don't have to complain, and jump ship whenever there are changes

2) enjoy playing whatever class and playstyle you want, adapt as best as possible and realize you won't be the top of the food chain and wait for whatever nerfs and changes

3) improve your play skill with practice and just focus on being top of your OWN game to outplay however large percentage of players who will not be equal skill

4) come to a realization of the flux of balance and changes, and also realize that the game is rock paper scissors, every class has its downfalls and counters, in contexts including composition/situations/terrain/environment

5) complain with no expectations and realize nothing much may change according to your own desires or understanding and that you are still willingly submitting to a larger system and authority by playing

6) be loud with your opinion because you have access to all the data from Anet servers, studied and analyzed all feedback neutrally and objectively measured against data and facilitate discussions with Anet staff team and actually make progress as you envision it because you are part of the balancing or whatever game mode department

Enjoy whatever part of the game you can while it is what it is and see what's next

@takatsu.9416 said:I appreciate this post but we also realize forums are where all the people who want to complain hang out. Players enjoying the game typically are playing or posting screenshots somewhere, making YouTube videos, streaming, running some guild events, farming or whatnot.

I think it should be more appropriate to elaborate the OP point though that most games are the same, there will always be balance issues and someone won't be satisfied...

Therefore I think more specific conclusions are:

1) bandwagon onto whatever class you feel are OP so you don't have to complain, and jump ship whenever there are changesThough I think this is a terrible idea...well...i did that once and stunk horribly :pensive:

2) enjoy playing whatever class and playstyle you want, adapt as best as possible and realize you won't be the top of the food chain and wait for whatever nerfs and changes

This right here. Again though most people have a few different classes and such. I can't tell you how many times I have had to recycle my gear in the magic toilet to keep up with the balance changes.3) improve your play skill with practice and just focus on being top of your OWN game to outplay however large percentage of players who will not be equal skill

I am by far NOT that good of a WvW player. I know my limitations and greatly respect those that are better than me. Whether running with them or from them.4) come to a realization of the flux of balance and changes, and also realize that the game is rock paper scissors, every class has its downfalls and counters, in contexts including composition/situations/terrain/environment

Agree5) complain with no expectations and realize nothing much may change according to your own desires or understanding and that you are still willingly submitting to a larger system and authority by playing

Complaints and suggestions I get. Downright saying ANET ignores a part of the game is sinful. I mean, can we all agree that this game is PvE with some extras that are maybe not updated as much as we like but they try only to be rebuked no matter what they do?6) be loud with your opinion because you have access to all the data from Anet servers, studied and analyzed all feedback neutrally and objectively measured against data and facilitate discussions with Anet staff team and actually make progress as you envision it because you are part of the balancing or whatever game mode department

Perfect point. Couldn't have said it better.Enjoy whatever part of the game you can while it is what it is and see what's nextThis is by far the longest I have played an MMO. I have tried a few newer ones but the appeal or story or whatever just isn't me. I like the direction ANET takes with the LS stuff and progressions for many areas of the game. Yes the WvW are repetitive but one thing I have noticed is ANET is secretive and anything can drop at any time. Maybe a new map is in the future, who knows.

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:Wow there's games other than Guild Wars 2? I've never played one! You're really special and your unique point of view is valuable!

Sad that I have run with you in WvW many times and to see this statement saddens me because you are not like this in game. To be so obtuse and critical without making a valid point is not you. Sad....

@Rumba.3174 said:

Thanks for not contributing anything.Don't think you thought this one through.How do you think i can contribute when i don't get your point?

He has no point that is of any significance. Just another post complaining about complainers that gives him an illusion of contribution for the greater good. In fact, all he's doing is complaining about himself.

AaAAh Yes! Former game forum trolling, the past time of nostalgia and the domain of analysis paralysis masochists! Greetings fellow whatshallwecallit!You have to admit that it is fun to do and weirdly enlightening. However, and you gotta admit it is rather strange, the one commonality across practically every pvp board is the complaint against stealth abuse, amiright?

Anyway /5glassesofwinelater...

So regarding GW2 and the love hate relationship. Insert prerequisite [played since beta, convinced my guild to transition, guild died] statement. Glad I got that off my chest. In the end I quit after 3? years of gw2islife and feeding my addiction. This was towards the end of LS1 prior to what I consider certain QOL improvements in WvW. Man I just gotta say I missed hammer-stun balls to the wall errr... wrecking balls, and I main an Ele.

But that love brought me back to post HOT pre POF and man, I have to say that the world designers did a stellar job, flippen' massive dolyak balls of kudos to them for what they've produced, and to be honest, that is what I expected based on the original design manifesto that gave me wood.

However, since some of the sheen has worn off, I still mourn the loss of potential that WvW presented. I don't know if you guys remember when they finally addressed the massive lag we used to have, what a technical marvel of engineering. Exit certain core members of the team, enter Karlito et all, and to me it feels like they're just not up to standards. I know what it's like working on a legacy codebase and dealing with system/technical limitations but there's so much that can still be improved.

I do agree with you though, we can either lump it or leave it, but anytime that you restrain the passion a client has in your product you create anger, bitterness and resentment.

I love WvW, I hate that it could be so much more.

While the post is made in a wandering and sort of "stream of consciousness" sort of way, If I am getting the meaning, I can certainly understand the frustration of the OP here. The fact is that not everyone is, 100% of the time, interested in the same game modes as everyone else. I personally am often coming to the forums to see how a certain class is performing post-balance patch regarding general PvE, Raiding, and high tier Fractals. A lot of the time, all I can find are the profession sub-forums filled with, and only with, commentary on how the changes effect pvp... the game mode that I care the least about. Sometimes there is some overlap, but for the majority of classes there is none at all.

What is fantastic or OP in pvp is objectively terrible in high end pve content (Scourge is the perfect example) and quite frankly if I make a thread asking questions about the PvE state of things, often times I only get responders from people who don't even play the mode I am asking about. Broad statements are made that don't actually apply to the specific areas of my concern, and it's difficult to find the information I am actually looking for.

This is a valid area of concern, and one that boils down to a plea of: "Can people of the forums please be at least slightly considerate of the fact that not everyone is necessarily talking about the specific topic you are, and either stay out of the conversation or find a meaningful way of contributing?" That's a bit of a pipe dream though. People will likely only ever be concerned about their own little corner of the internet and how they are effected, but it would be nice if they stopped shouting to drown out the folks that aren't in their niche.

Edit: Yes I am aware this is the wvw subforum, the "pve" thing was just an example. I actually used to love WvW in the days when havoc squads reigned even over blobs and have been trying to find a way to enjoy it again.

Some see my point some don't. It's not that I care. The ANET haters obviously don't see the point because they are blinded by their perceived frustrations when in fact ALL MMOs of this type concentrate on PvE which was the main point of the topic, that it is not that ANET doesn't care of the game mode as it is they put the best interest in play when it comes to development which is PvE and all else is secondary. If you want to WvW and PvP strictly where the development is focused on that particular game mode then go play it. It's not the complaints or suggestions that I am targeting directly as it is all the so called "knowledgeable" people whose solution is based off they keep dying to one particular class or how bad their class was nerfed when there are obvious reasons for changes or no changes because as one poster stated above:

6) be loud with your opinion because you have access to all the data from Anet servers, studied and analyzed all feedback neutrally and objectively measured against data and facilitate discussions with Anet staff team and actually make progress as you envision it because you are part of the balancing or whatever game mode department

@"MarzAttakz.9608" said:AaAAh Yes! Former game forum trolling, the past time of nostalgia and the domain of analysis paralysis masochists! Greetings fellow whatshallwecallit!You have to admit that it is fun to do and weirdly enlightening. However, and you gotta admit it is rather strange, the one commonality across practically every pvp board is the complaint against stealth abuse, amiright?

No you are not right and maybe it was the wine :P Former game forum trolling? Let me explain my intentions. I work in an environment where I am called to fix things when they break. So at work I spend a lot of my time at my desk. As long as I have nothing to do I read the forums to be more etiquette-like in game, learn how to get gud, and so much more. But all I see is so much hate against development of WvW and PvP and got to thinking "I wonder how my old MMOs forums are compared to GW2". So I went on a three hour journey comparing forum after forum and came to the conclusion that GW2 just like the any MMOs before them that compare in game-type and play-mode the fact is development and content is more focused on PvE. The areas that is considered sub-par for many is not the targeted audience. So I made the comparisons and formulated an opinion and KNEW what was going to happen with some die hard WvW'rs and their comments. As customary there are people who simply disagree and instead of offering a formulated opinion based on research they try to undermine the whole topic and demean the person as a target instead of the topic because they know I am right or at least on the right track. EDIT: This last sentence is not aimed at you :)

I love WvW, I hate that it could be so much more.I was always a PvE'r until late last year. I did a PvP season and though I got to like it I got bored. I did WvW in the past for some easy dailies but then decided to go full in this year. Yes I am still a PvE'r at heart but have learned so much from the community here and in game to get a better understanding on how I can help in WvW rather then just do some dailies. So during content breaks I am all over the maps because I too love WvW and KNOW it can be better but does that mean ANET will throw money at it because I say so or someone believes it is broken when there are still queues? Look at JQ and how they ask people to stay away. Why? If anything they cry for fixes abut childishly fold their arms like it hurts ANET's bottom line. I lol at that for it does nothing but hurt the players that want to play but get steam rolled all in the name of being selfish.

Dear usnedward.7363748395whateverRegardless of topic (game, politics, what have you) there will always be people that complain about something.

However in the case of Guild Wars, I see the game’s population and by proxy profits ANet makes as an indication of how likely is NCSoft to pull the plug and seek greener pastures. And unhappy people don’t spend money on product they’re not happy with. On the other hand WvW and PvP are hard to monetize with just vanity shop. So it’s only natural that people would contribute less in those modes. The psychology of your average PvP player is “if it don’t make $, don’t make sense”... ugh I mean “ if it don’t kill, don’t make sense.”And as such they are widely considered “bad business” as ANet only makes money out of them around expansion releases. Now we also got lower prices on expansions so even less money from them. It’s only natural that they’ll be at the bottom of the priority list when it comes to QoL improvements and changes that benefit the mode.

So I personally have adopted a new model of contribution for me personally. A good balance change or QoL improvement for ME personally, I throw a hondo their way for gems I don’t really need but are surely nice to stack up on. Bad change for ME personally, no hondo. Hopefully if more people adopt set model, our needs might be met more often.

Kids make no mistake, money drives the world and this game is no different. You want change? FUND IT!!!!!!1111one

@Arlette.9684 said:Dear usnedward.7363748395whateverRegardless of topic (game, politics, what have you) there will always be people that complain about something.

True...as I am complaining about complaining in a sense but trying to make a point and not complaining just to complain.However in the case of Guild Wars, I see the game’s population and by proxy profits ANet makes as an indication of how likely is NCSoft to pull the plug and seek greener pastures. And unhappy people don’t spend money on product they’re not happy with. On the other hand WvW and PvP are hard to monetize with just vanity shop. So it’s only natural that people would contribute less in those modes. The psychology of your average PvP player is “if it don’t make $, don’t make sense”... ugh I mean “ if it don’t kill, don’t make sense.”

BUT most who WvW do also PvE and buy into the vanity of it all. 5 Guilds and most who enjoy WvW also enjoy PvE. This is not to say all but most. I don't see the plug being pulled as long as it makes money. I can't wait to see how much they made off the mount vanity coupled with this last expansion. I think much. So many said how WoW was doomed and that has been being said for 6 years now. Until they turn the GW2 servers off then I'll buy into it.And as such they are widely considered “bad business” as ANet only makes money out of them around expansion releases. Now we also got lower prices on expansions so even less money from them. It’s only natural that they’ll be at the bottom of the priority list when it comes to QoL improvements and changes that benefit the mode.

AgreeSo I personally have adopted a new model of contribution for me personally. A good balance change or QoL improvement for ME personally, I throw a hondo their way for gems I don’t really need but are surely nice to stack up on. Bad change for ME personally, no hondo. Hopefully if more people adopt set model, our needs might be met more often.

Kids make no mistake, money drives the world and this game is no different. You want change? FUND IT!!!!!!1111oneI fund.

@usnedward.9023 said:

This right here. Again though most people have a few different classes and such. I can't tell you how many times I have had to recycle my gear in the magic toilet to keep up with the balance changes.This is normal in MMOs.I am by far NOT that good of a WvW player. I know my limitations and greatly respect those that are better than me. Whether running with them or from them.AgreedComplaints and suggestions I get. Downright saying ANET ignores a part of the game is sinful. I mean, can we all agree that this game is PvE with some extras that are maybe not updated as much as we like but they try only to be rebuked no matter what they do?Now go look at ESO, CCP, and even Elite: Dangerous to see the difference.This is by far the longest I have played an MMO. I have tried a few newer ones but the appeal or story or whatever just isn't me. I like the direction ANET takes with the LS stuff and progressions for many areas of the game. Yes the WvW are repetitive but one thing I have noticed is ANET is secretive and anything can drop at any time. Maybe a new map is in the future, who knows.

For me MMO wise here are my top 5...

• Eve Online 2007 to current
  • ESO 2014 to current
  • Runescape 2002 to 2007
  • DCUO 2011 to 2014
  • GW2 2014 to 2017

Archived