Returning vanilla player questions

Autolukos.1359

Greetings,I played since beta and until just before the release of the first expansion. I recently returned to the game and got both the expansions.

I want to decide on a class to focus on, and have the potential of being at the same level with all classes( aside from personal skills).

I am between two classes: Mesmer and Elementalist.I love Mesmer aesthetics so much, one of the most unique classes in all mmorpg I have played. In PVP is so fun, that mesmer is my top pvp class. But I dont know about pve, raids, soloing, etc. Is this class able to compete in PVP/PVE equally?

Elementalist is my favorite in PVE soloing, etc, I love the aesthetics of controlling elements. Is this class able to compete equally in PVP/ PVE?

Thanks for reading.

@"Autolukos.1359" said:Look, if the class system was like FF14 where all classes were shared between a character, I would consider it.

But, since I love focusing on one character and completing everything on him/her, I have to decide on one :)

Achievements and all that are shared account-wide. The only things that are not shared: personal story lines which don't involve PVP, world completion which only involves the vanilla PVE maps, and soul-bound items (ascended items are account bound).

EDIT:If you are looking for one class to focus on as a main:

In general, any class can be decent at any content. I don't main a class that's optimal or competitive at anything and still do all the game's content with it.

Mesmers specialization "Chronomancers" have had consistently competitive support roles in PVE group content. (Mesmers are the utility kit engineers wish they could be, and that's coming from an engineer main. Teams with a great mesmer depend on them for support and/or being as much of a tank as this game has.)Elementalists specializations have competitive PVE damage builds in group PVE content. (Elementalists do a lot of damage but are reliant on team support to maintain the big dps rotations. In solo play they have to drop some of the dps skills for self sustain or play more defensively.)

I don't PvP much anymore, maybe you would have a better idea from the classes/PVP forum.

Archived