Reddit vs Forum

intox.6347

So it was now 5th time when didnt get answer on official forum from staff, but on reddit.Last time it was in obstructed shades on scourge, it was biggest topic, 40 days without answer, then it was answered on reddit by anet_irenio, but still no response on OFFICIAL FORUM.

So why is this happening ? Why they dont solve things on official forum rather then reddit. Its shame for arenanet that they abbandon their own information portal.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the umpteenth time, devs are not required to answer your posts on their work time. They browse the web on their spare time. They're entitled to browse anywhere they like or anywhere they feel comfortable. Your options would be something like this:

A. Forbid devs from posting anyone but on the official forum.B. Forbid devs from posting at all.C. Make posting on the forums part of their job, which it's not.

None of those options are really good.

If I were a dev, I wouldn't want to post on the official forums anyway, because they're far more hostile territory. Why would I open myself up to that kind of abuse. Ridiculous posts on reddit tend to get downvoted and disappear. I prefer it for that reason myself.

And if I were a dev, posting on my own time,. this is the last place I'd be.

@Lunateric.3708 said:They are active in both places, just like users can be, you wanting them to be exclusive to X platform isn't really a good idea. I prefer reddit too since you can filter out irrelevant/troll comments almost instantly.

Not true at all, to me, it seems more something like [80% Reddit - 20% official forum] in regard to anet's answers to players threads.

@Zaraki.5784 said:

@Lunateric.3708 said:They are active in both places, just like users can be, you wanting them to be exclusive to X platform isn't really a good idea. I prefer reddit too since you can filter out irrelevant/troll comments almost instantly.

Not true at all, to me, it seems more something like [80% Reddit - 20% official forum] in regard to anet's answers to players threads.

I think you'll find that depends on lot on the poster. And the type of questions.

@"Vayne.8563" said:For the umpteenth time, devs are not required to answer your posts on their work time. They browse the web on their spare time. They're entitled to browse anywhere they like or anywhere they feel comfortable. Your options would be something like this:

A. Forbid devs from posting anyone but on the official forum.B. Forbid devs from posting at all.C. Make posting on the forums part of their job, which it's not.

If I were a dev, I wouldn't want to post on the official forums anyway, because they're far more hostile territory. Why would I open myself up to that kind of abuse. Ridiculous posts on reddit tend to get downvoted and disappear. I prefer it for that reason myself.

If there exists forum for solving problems, forum owned by same company which have game. So its official place to post. If gamebreaking bug appears, u dont get for long time answer, or whatever (atleast something "we know about it..") But they always answer only on reddit and with no answer on their own official forum, how exactly can you feel about that ?Forum is about communication and here they avoiding communicate via their own information portal and using different place ?

@"intox.6347" said:So it was now 5th time when didnt get answer on official forum from staff, but on reddit.Last time it was in obstructed shades on scourge, it was biggest topic, 40 days without answer, then it was answered on reddit by anet_irenio, but still no response on OFFICIAL FORUM.

So why is this happening ? Why they dont solve things on official forum rather then reddit. Its shame for arenanet that they abbandon their own information portal.

You guys voted to make the official forums less like Reddit because it "felt" too "negative". It wouldn't surprise me the lack of freedom of speech pushed most of the rational posters to other platforms.

@Leo G.4501 said:

@"intox.6347" said:So it was now 5th time when didnt get answer on official forum from staff, but on reddit.Last time it was in obstructed shades on scourge, it was biggest topic, 40 days without answer, then it was answered on reddit by anet_irenio, but still no response on OFFICIAL FORUM.

You guys voted to make the official forums less like Reddit because it "felt" too "negative". It wouldn't surprise me the lack of freedom of speech pushed most of the rational posters to other platforms.

Indeed. I would be there too, except I hate reddit even more than the over the top moderation we have in these forums.

@intox.6347 said:

@"Vayne.8563" said:For the umpteenth time, devs are not required to answer your posts on their work time. They browse the web on their spare time. They're entitled to browse anywhere they like or anywhere they feel comfortable. Your options would be something like this:

If there exists forum for solving problems, forum owned by same company which have game. So its official place to post. If gamebreaking bug appears, u dont get for long time answer, or whatever (atleast something "we know about it..") But they always answer only on reddit and with no answer on their own official forum, how exactly can you feel about that ?Forum is about communication and here they avoiding communicate via their own information portal and using different place ?

Actually the forum doesn't exist for solving problems. A forum is just a discussion group. It's a place where people go to discuss things. There's no onus on a company to answer every, many or even some questions. Very often, the people who have the answers are people who aren't great at communicating, or they're people who are too busy to stop and sift through pages and pages of forums.

How you define a forum as a place for solving problems, is true when it's solved by other players. That's it's job. Anything else is your own definition.

What devs do in their own personal time is not regulated by the company nor should it be.; Think of it another way. If I were a dev and I preferred reddit to the official forum, and the company told me if you have to post it must be on the forums, on my own time, I'd stop posting entirely.

Devs who response on reddit are doing it, not because it's their job or obligation, but because they're being nice. Keep going with stuff like this, and why would they keep posting even there?

Apart from Gaile and maybe a few other community liaison people discussing the game with players is not part of the job for anyone at Anet. Even answering questions about their area of work. It's something they do by choice, in their free time.

I don't like Reddit, I find it impossible to navigate. Even within a topic everything ends up so jumbled because posts get moved up or down based on how well they fit currently popular opinions, so replies can end up appearing before the thing they're replying to. As a result I never go there, never read it.

But I also don't like my companies official forum, for much the same reason. And I know if they told me that even in my free time I am only allowed to post about my work on that 1 site and no where else I just wouldn't post. I would rather completely stop engaging with the public online than go through that site. I imagine at least some of the people at Anet feel that way about this forum. Since it's not part of their job Anet can't force them to post here, so if they banned them from posting on Reddit we'd just never hear from them.

And given that choice I'd much rather they post updates wherever they're happy putting them, even if it's somewhere I never see. There's enough people who visit both that important information gets cross-posted anyway.

@Leo G.4501 said:

If you're referring to the removal of the thumbs down button that didn't make this site like reddit any more than the remaining buttons do. All it did was add a count to the bottom of the post to say how many people had clicked the button, it didn't allow the community to censor unpopular opinions and control what gets discussed like reddit does.

@"Vayne.8563" said:Actually the forum doesn't exist for solving problems. A forum is just a discussion group. It's a place where people go to discuss things. There's no onus on a company to answer every, many or even some questions. Very often, the people who have the answers are people who aren't great at communicating, or they're people who are too busy to stop and sift through pages and pages of forums.

How you define a forum as a place for solving problems, is true when it's solved by other players. That's it's job. Anything else is your own definition.

What devs do in their own personal time is not regulated by the company nor should it be.; Think of it another way. If I were a dev and I preferred reddit to the official forum, and the company told me if you have to post it must be on the forums, on my own time, I'd stop posting entirely.

Devs who response on reddit are doing it, not because it's their job or obligation, but because they're being nice. Keep going with stuff like this, and why would they keep posting even there?

It doesnt have any sense ... they are not bunch of guys doing game after work, they are company and selling product, its their job not their hobby, u need to make difference between this. Also nobody talking about presence in every topic, but once they made section "bugs" with title "All bug reports go here" , then there is a place for bug reporting. So you telling me that is not right place to place bug topic ? I dont get what you guys try to tell me.

About 9 years ago i had my own private server (muonline) with web and forum. Used that for communication with players. So thats why i dont get why company who live from that game, have their own forum, using different platform to communicate.

Not one-hundred percent sure, but I do recall a time when moderators and the like needed to have their posts 'approved' before they saw the light of day here. I believe this happened after the Super Adventure Box World 2 fiasco. Long story. So it may be just easier to post on Reddit because of it. Less hoop-jumping and all.

Again, speculation on my part.

@Leo G.4501 said:

Nah, the cesspool called "reddit" is an awful place to be. I remember right after the forum changes, I lurked into the Reddit section.The so-called "free speech" you are talking about was some guy with a name that I could not even post here (for good reasons!) was yelling "Haha moderationz suckzz, f...k them HAHAH LOLOLOL". I was like "Yep, minus 30 IQ on reddit" and closed the window as fast as I could.

Also, the pre-sorted by popularity stuff it awful as well, I want to read and judge about every comment, not the one that has the highest upvotes. On hate trains and whine trains (which is Reddit in 99% of the cases, it's full with dumb stuff for real) you just need people with the same mindset and then you have 50 whiners clumped together and they think they are all in the right, while they are not, downvoting people with different opinions. If that is what you call "Freedom of Speech", well, I rather have none. Or is it more like "I hate parking tickets because I can not park where I feel like" mentality like yours?

I also wish they would get their stuff together and keep posting here, it's like they hate their own places they create, but then, I do not really care, because I often eMail the support directly with success.

Excelsior.

@Wandering Mist.2973 said:

Indeed. I would be there too, except I hate reddit even more than the over the top moderation we have in these forums.

My only issue with Reddit is it's not categorized. If I want to read posts about soulbeast here, I just go to the ranger forums, or if I want to look at topics in lore, I go to lore.

@"Lunateric.3708" said:They are active in both places, just like users can be, you wanting them to be exclusive to X platform isn't really a good idea. I prefer reddit too since you can filter out irrelevant/troll comments almost instantly.

We're not asking for them to be "exclusive" to this platform. However, if a response is to be posted on only ONE platform, it should be the official forums.

Here is the opening sentence on the forums: Welcome to the Guild Wars 2 Official Forums! Here is the definition of a forum: a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged

I don't understand why people don't get that I, and others, don't want to HAVE to go to ANOTHER website to get answers about game-related questions.Player asks a question on the official game forum. Months go by. Someone at Anet finally responds only on reddit.

That is a problem whether people want to admit it or not.

reddit is a good place for fluff discussions. Reddit however is a terrible place for any kind of serious discussion.

If I went to reddit and said something like "the nerfs to Reaper shroud degeneration are justified" I'd get downvoted into oblivion. Reddit is only free speech for populist opinions.

@Zedek.8932 said:

Nah, the cesspool called "reddit" is an awful place to be. I remember right after the forum changes, I lurked into the Reddit section.The so-called "free speech" you are talking about was some guy with a name that I could not even post here (for good reasons!) was yelling "Haha moderationz suckzz, f...k them HAHAH LOLOLOL". I was like "Yep, minus 30 IQ on reddit" and closed the window as fast as I could.

Also, the pre-sorted by popularity stuff it awful as well, I want to read and judge about every comment, not the one that has the highest upvotes. On hate trains and whine trains (which is Reddit in 99% of the cases, it's full with dumb stuff for real) you just need people with the same mindset and then you have 50 whiners clumped together and they think they are all in the right, while they are not, downvoting people with different opinions. If that is what you call "Freedom of Speech", well, I rather have none. Or is it more like "I hate parking tickets because I can not park where I feel like" mentality like yours?

I also wish they would get their stuff together and keep posting here, it's like they hate their own places they create, but then, I do not really care, because I often eMail the support directly with success.

Excelsior.

I think Reddit has it's flaws too, but some of what you complain about are in your hands to control (you can sort posts by popularity or post date, you can show or hide posts of a vote threshold, you can enable/disable voting, ect).

And I didn't say the thumbs down feature made this forum like Reddit, I mentioned it because those that complained about it said it was too much like Reddit.

I personally feel the thumbs down removal was bad because it was a way to disapprove with a post without needing to make a post because if you outright post a disagreement, those that cannot take criticism will make an annoying long winded fuss or flag your posts to get them deleted.

As for the devs posting on Reddit, it's simple. More people read Reddit and the way Reddit can be formatted, it's easier to make posts and respond to replies.

@Leo G.4501 said:As for the devs posting on Reddit, it's simple. More people read Reddit and the way Reddit can be formatted, it's easier to make posts and respond to replies.

Reddit is more than just this game, of course more people likely read it than 1 official game forum.That said, without stats, do more people read just the GW2 section of reddit than the official game forum?If more people do read the GW2 reddit than the official game forum, is that because Anet only ever posts there?

The point is that the game has an official forum (this is it). The latest posts by Anet staff even scroll across the front page (easy to find).If this is the official game forum (which it says so on the first page of the forums) and a forum is where discussions about a subject/game take place, WHY do they only respond to reddit posts or respond to forum posts ONLY on reddit?

This is the problem. I don't want to join reddit. I don't want to have to create additional online accounts to talk about GW2. Since the game has an official game forum, I am not asking too much to have Anet use it to have discussions with us.

@"notebene.3190" said:It would be handy if there were like a Reddit Dev Tracker in this forum. I'm not super familiar with Reddit, do they have any sort of view like that over there?

Sort of. You can see the threads and can click on them to see what was posted

Reddit Dev Tracker

Why ANet doesn’t have a thread with a cross reference of posts from (Reddit/Twitter/wherever) to this forum is one of those little mysteries.

@Ubi.4136 said:

@Leo G.4501 said:As for the devs posting on Reddit, it's simple. More people read Reddit and the way Reddit can be formatted, it's easier to make posts and respond to replies.The point is that the game has an official forum (this is it). The latest posts by Anet staff even scroll across the front page (easy to find).If this is the official game forum (which it says so on the first page of the forums) and a forum is where discussions about a subject/game take place, WHY do they only respond to reddit posts or respond to forum posts ONLY on reddit?

Do they ONLY respond to Reddit?

This is the problem. I don't want to join reddit. I don't want to have to create additional online accounts to talk about GW2. Since the game has an official game forum, I am not asking too much to have Anet use it to have discussions with us.

Sounds like a personal problem.

@Leo G.4501 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

@Leo G.4501 said:As for the devs posting on Reddit, it's simple. More people read Reddit and the way Reddit can be formatted, it's easier to make posts and respond to replies.The point is that the game has an official forum (this is it). The latest posts by Anet staff even scroll across the front page (easy to find).If this is the official game forum (which it says so on the first page of the forums) and a forum is where discussions about a subject/game take place, WHY do they only respond to reddit posts or respond to forum posts ONLY on reddit?

Do they ONLY respond to Reddit?

Sounds like a personal problem.

The OP is just one of many examples, where they ONLY responded on reddit.There is no reason to give yet another website any personal information of mine, even if it's only email address, when the game has an official forum...this one.

Archived