Server linking results

R E F L H E X.8413

@R E F L H E X.8413 said:I'm on jq and we got no link so I'm wondering has bg lost to any of the linked servers yet?

I dont see why jq was left untouched they should be aiming for servers to be competitive with blackgate. Theres no reason to have weak servers that just will never win.

If other servers are not bothering to try to win, or even be in t1...it kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Also yes we did lose a few weeks around PoF launch. With 1u1d we have to win or come in second to remain in tier 1, in the past when we had glicko it was not such a big deal because of glicko walls.

@RodOfDeath.5247 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:I say you move down to tier 4 and show everyone you mean business!

Raise that server up!

It is kinda fun having their 50000 man zerg chase you across the map. I kinda feel like Prince and JQ is a bunch of teenage girls chasing me. No, you can't have my phone number /no

When cloud flys commanding I mostly see mid 30's for numbers of the jq zerg.

@X T D.6458 said:

@R E F L H E X.8413 said:I'm on jq and we got no link so I'm wondering has bg lost to any of the linked servers yet?

I dont see why jq was left untouched they should be aiming for servers to be competitive with blackgate. Theres no reason to have weak servers that just will never win.

If other servers are not bothering to try to win, or even be in t1...it kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Also yes we did lose a few weeks around PoF launch.

Not sure what you mean by not trying to win, I did make a comment right when we got linked that we shouldnt even care about scores at this point because bg has won for five years so why care?

Which server beat you guys?

@R E F L H E X.8413 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:Well, JQ might get a link during the next linking Dec 22nd. The other servers in their tier might like that.

Oh wow its closer than I thought. I was thinking one might come by march... maybe.

Do either of you know if the new t1 linked servers are competitive with blackgate or have won one?

I think the last server to beat BG is Mag. That was a few months back.

Competitive is a relative term. SoS has very competitive groups but the reality is, without coverage, beating a server like BG isn't likely. The right link and JQ could.,,,, if they try.

Most don't want to.

@R E F L H E X.8413 said:

If other servers are not bothering to try to win, or even be in t1...it kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Also yes we did lose a few weeks around PoF launch.

Not sure what you mean by not trying to win, I did make a comment right when we got linked that we shouldnt even care about rating at this point because bg has won for five years so why care?

Which server beat you guys?

BG did not "win" for 5 years, in fact up until recently JQ had the record for most wins. BG has always wanted to remain in tier 1, whether it came in first or third was not really the issue. It was really not until around the time that linking was introduced that BG actually started playing to win, we had inactive players come back and well we just kind of went with it. We started investing more in small/havok teams, scouting, defending, etc. When I first came to BG over 3 years ago, we were much like MAG is today. We basically let our maps get ktrained every night and few people actually cared about scores. Glicko walls made it possible to stay in a tier even when losing for a long time, because you could win one matchup and regain all those points. Now we have 1u1d, so if we want to stay in tier 1 we basically have to play for first or second place every week.

@X T D.6458 said:

@R E F L H E X.8413 said:I went to bg before jq.

When did linkings start? I'm sure it was far after season one and if I remember right it was far before season 1 that jq was losing every single match to bg and it continued for years. (bg won season one over jq).

I believe linking was implemented in April 2016. It was during the BG/JQ/YB matchup.

yea so season one was late 2013 and bg won it over jq and jq was losing every game to them prior to that season. So its been quite a while of losing every single game.

@RodOfDeath.5247 said:

@SugarCayne.3098 said:I say you move down to tier 4 and show everyone you mean business!

Raise that server up!

It is kinda fun having their 50000 man zerg chase you across the map. I kinda feel like Prince and JQ is a bunch of teenage girls chasing me. No, you can't have my phone number /no

I enjoy it too, but you’re showing your age,

cough

@"X T D.6458" said:we had inactive players come back

Years of login blackouts sure do help with that. BG can shed guilds and still has enough of a fairweather population to provide enough coverage and numbers. That's why there will not be enough players found who are willing to "be competitive" against BG no matter how linking goes. We already know from earlier Anet comments that many linked servers had higher playhours than BG, but playhours are not players...

@Chaba.5410 said:

@"X T D.6458" said:we had inactive players come back

Years of login blackouts sure do help with that. BG can shed guilds and still has enough of a fairweather population to provide enough coverage and numbers. That's why there will not be enough players found who are willing to "be competitive" against BG no matter how linking goes. We already know from earlier Anet comments that many linked servers had higher playhours than BG, but playhours are not players...

Huh?

I am talking about people who quit the game and came back.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@X T D.6458 said:I am talking about people who quit the game and came back.

Me too.

Wouldn't it be nicer if those people who quit had to pick a new non-Full server if they had been gone for 6 or more months?

No, forcibly kicking people off a server because they are doing something else in their lives is not a nice thing to do. If a person wants to pick a new server they can do so anytime. Having anet forcing them off, is a terrible idea.

@X T D.6458 said:

Me too.

Wouldn't it be nicer if those people who quit had to pick a new non-Full server if they had been gone for 6 or more months?

No, forcibly kicking people off a server because they are doing something else in their lives is not a nice thing to do. If a person wants to pick a new server they can do so anytime. Having anet forcing them off, is a terrible idea.

So then what is the confusion you have about my earlier post?

"Years of login blackouts sure do help with that."

@Chaba.5410 said:

Me too.

Because it made no sense. You are trying to tie together two completely different things and pretend as if they are equal.

@X T D.6458 said:

Me too.

Because it made no sense. You are trying to tie together two completely different things and pretend as if they are equal.

Linked servers were reported by Anet to have more playhours than BG, addressing what OP wrote of Anet "should be aiming for servers to be competitive with blackgate." They did attempt it by pitting BG against linked servers with more playhours. So why has BG still won? Playhours are not players and BG has a wealth of players even after shedding some guilds, especially when inactive accounts come back to play. You are right; that is not equal. The population algorithm can actually punish players for playing too much; making 10 players who play 10 hours a week equal to 100 players playing 1 hour a week. But you seem more concerned about the player who plays zero hours a week for six months being forced to pick another server if they want to start up again.

@Chaba.5410 said:

Me too.

Linked servers were reported by Anet to have more playhours than BG, addressing what OP wrote of Anet "should be aiming for servers to be competitive with blackgate." They did attempt it by pitting BG against linked servers with more playhours. So why has BG still won? Playhours are not players and BG has a wealth of them, especially when inactive accounts come back to play. You are right; that is not equal.

I think you are confused about something. My first post that you quoted was about BG BEFORE and around the time of linking, not BG or linking as it is right now. In the period of time between HoT Launch and Linking being introduced, BG did not win every match, far from it...actually YB was winning most of them. Around the time that linking was implemented we had players that were already on the server start playing again. When linking was implemented all host servers were locked.

@X T D.6458 said:

Me too.

Linked servers were reported by Anet to have more playhours than BG, addressing what OP wrote of Anet "should be aiming for servers to be competitive with blackgate." They did attempt it by pitting BG against linked servers with more playhours. So why has BG still won? Playhours are not players and BG has a wealth of them, especially when inactive accounts come back to play. You are right; that is not equal.

I think you are confused about something. My first post that you quoted was about BG BEFORE and around the time of linking, not BG or linking as it is right now. In the period of time between HoT Launch and Linking being introduced, BG did not win every match, far from it...actually YB was winning most of them. Around the time that linking was implemented we had players that were already on the server start playing again. When linking was implemented all host servers were locked.

Hey, you remember too they changed the population algorithm since then to favor playhours?

Archived