Extreme GPU Usage

Well the Fall Creator's Update finally rolled around for me today, and right off the bat I heard my GPU fans being loud while playing the game. I checked my GPU usage and it was at 86% at spawn in Green BL with the outnumbered buff on (should be very little workload). The load goes up to 92% in Lions Arch.

What's odd is that I can play Middle Earth Shadow of War on ULTRA settings and have lower GPU load than I do in GW2. Before the update I can't remember my GPU being pushed at all by GW2, let alone my temps going near 90 degrees Celcius.

Any idea what unholy voodoo microsoft did in this god forsaken update and how to reverse it?

Rig Specs

MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GBIntel i7 6700k 4.0 Ghz16 GB RAM500 GB SSD

@Maze.3825 said:

@"Genlog.4983" said:i also womder why my gaming comp get so extreme hot in this gameif i play bdo i have little less problems with my heat and bdo is far more heavy then gw2

even skyrim V SE heavly modded and even with enb it get not so hot ??

Great thing to investigate because with proper cooling it should be fine.

like i said before black desert is fine so 60c on high settingseven skyrim with enb my skyrim looks like this see vid

its 10x more heavy then black desert and guild wars 2 ok i run it with 30fps but my heat of the cpu/gpu is fine

so in my few guild wars 2 eats a lot on my comp and i dunno what

@Genlog.4983 said:

@Genlog.4983 said:i also womder why my gaming comp get so extreme hot in this gameif i play bdo i have little less problems with my heat and bdo is far more heavy then gw2

like i said before black desert is fine so 60c on high settingseven skyrim with enb my skyrim looks like this see vid
its 10x more heavy then black desert and guild wars 2 ok i run it with 30fps but my heat of the cpu/gpu is fine

so in my few guild wars 2 eats a lot on my comp and i dunno what"Heavy" isnt really a thing for GPU in that sense. Running GW2 at 300 fps is "heavier" than Skyrim at 30fps because you are literally letting your graphics card go full force with no limitations to reach that kind of fps.

Go into GW2 options and change the fps limiter to 60 fps, your graphics card should barely have the fans running. See if that changes anything. I dont recommend vsync unless you use adaptive.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Genlog.4983 said:i also womder why my gaming comp get so extreme hot in this gameif i play bdo i have little less problems with my heat and bdo is far more heavy then gw2

so in my few guild wars 2 eats a lot on my comp and i dunno what"Heavy" isnt really a thing for GPU in that sense. Running GW2 at 300 fps is "heavier" than Skyrim at 30fps because you are literally letting your graphics card go full force with no limitations to reach that kind of fps.

Go into GW2 options and change the fps limiter to 60 fps, your graphics card should barely have the fans running. See if that changes anything. I dont recommend vsync unless you use adaptive.

nice tip i forgot about the limiterso far i can tell my 2 fans on my GPU dont move ad all if the temp stays below 60c

but i wil try it

@Strages.2950 said:Update: It was the stupid game mode that came up with the Fall's Creator Update. I manged to turn it off from the registry and everything's back to normal.

can you explain more? i havent played in a year and when i sued to play my game wasnt intensive whatsoever, now since ive came back 2 days ago its awful no matter where I am in game, would like to try to find out if mines the same thing or a different issue.

@GloStix.5271 said:

@"Strages.2950" said:Update: It was the stupid game mode that came up with the Fall's Creator Update. I manged to turn it off from the registry and everything's back to normal.

can you explain more? i havent played in a year and when i sued to play my game wasnt intensive whatsoever, now since ive came back 2 days ago its awful no matter where I am in game, would like to try to find out if mines the same thing or a different issue.

Windows 10 has a "Game Mode" in its settings(press the windows key, click the gear icon that pops up in the menu then go to "gaming").Sometimes these user settings get set back to default after an update.

Game Mode usually causes more problems and I've never noticed a positive difference in performance with it on. Though I keep my background programs minimal as can be.

• 2 weeks later...

@GloStix.5271 said:

@"Strages.2950" said:Update: It was the stupid game mode that came up with the Fall's Creator Update. I manged to turn it off from the registry and everything's back to normal.

Sorry for the late response, I dont know if you still have an issue. Well, the Fall Creator's update wont let you turn Game DVR off like before... therefore you have to do it manually from the registry:

Open Registry Editor (Run > regedit)Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStoreSet the value of DWORD "GameDVR_Enabled" to 0Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Create key "GameDVR"Create DWORD 32bit called "AllowgameDVR" and set to 0

Hope that helps anyone.

Archived