Selling a legendary to make another

Daynz.4360

Just the other day I had Dawn drop from the MF. Starting to work on crafting Sunrise but a friend told me to consider selling the legendary as I can then buy all the mats needed to make another one and make a profit (excluding stuff like obsidian, map completion, etc).

I just want to know is it really worth doing that? Should I rather just craft the legendary for myself? Can't seem to come to much of a decision and would like some more opinions on the matter.

I have never sold any of the Legendaries that I have crafted because I was never willing to undergo the entire World Completition for Gift of Explorations again, just to be able to craft something I won't have/keep. Items and/or other interesting or "rare" stuff is more important to me than the Gold they are worth.So, maybe just ask yourself If you don't mind doing World Competition all over again in case you wanted another Legendary for yourself.

@Alatar.7364 said:I have never sold any of the Legendaries that I have crafted because I was never willing to undergo the entire World Completition for Gift of Explorations again, just to be able to craft something I won't have/keep. Items and/or other interesting or "rare" stuff is more important to me than the Gold they are worth.So, maybe just ask yourself If you don't mind doing World Competition all over again in case you wanted another Legendary for yourself.

You get 2 Gifts of Exploration per world completion. So OP can easily craft and sell Sunrise and still make a 2nd legendary.

@onevstheworld.2419 said:

@Alatar.7364 said:I have never sold any of the Legendaries that I have crafted because I was never willing to undergo the entire World Completition for Gift of Explorations again, just to be able to craft something I won't have/keep. Items and/or other interesting or "rare" stuff is more important to me than the Gold they are worth.So, maybe just ask yourself If you don't mind doing World Competition all over again in case you wanted another Legendary for yourself.

You get 2 Gifts of Exploration per world completion. So OP can easily craft and sell Sunrise and still make a 2nd legendary.

That will forever be 1 less Legendary in possession. I was talking about future, he/she may want to have/craft more than One.

@Alatar.7364 said:

That will forever be 1 less Legendary in possession. I was talking about future, he/she may want to have/craft more than One.

It won't though, You just delete a character and make a new one and get more gifts.If you have no characters you want to delete, get a new char slot and make a new character and you get more gifts.Then you can use that slot as your key farmer, gift explorer or whatever you wish.If you don't already have 9 char slots, you can use that one for swapping class for PvP whenever you want as well.

@Mikuchan.7261 said:

@Alatar.7364 said:

It won't though, You just delete a character and make a new one and get more gifts.If you have no characters you want to delete, get a new char slot and make a new character and you get more gifts.Then you can use that slot as your key farmer, gift explorer or whatever you wish.If you don't already have 9 char slots, you can use that one for swapping class for PvP whenever you want as well.

That is not what I was talking about. I was talking about if OP is willing to do another World Competition not about whether he/she has the possibility to do so.

@Alatar.7364 said:

If OP wants more legendaries in the future without the Gift of Exploration, he always has the option to buy them on the TP. He won't "forever be one legendary less".

@azizul.8469 said:only 2 limiting factor keeping you from spamming crafting legendaries : Gift of Exploration , and Obby Shard .... if you have tones, feel free to craft and sell....

This is pretty much it. I'd only add the following:

• Obtaining Gift of Battle (via WvW reward track) can be seen as a real chore by some people.
  • If you have the characters and inclination to do multiple map completions (for GoE), and don't mind multiple WvW tracks (for GoB), then making legendaries to sell is a great way to make money (in very large chunks - like upwards of 1500g net of all costs - but on an irregular basis).
  • Also, it's worth pointing out that the Obsidian Shard bottleneck has been considerably eased by Unbound Magic which can be used to purchase Obsidian Shards; previously getting shards could put quite a strain on your Karma funds and other map currencies, and was definitely the worst bottleneck. Everything else you can just obtain at your leisure with buy orders.
  • Just be aware that you will also need patience, and make sure that you have enough gold to cover the list price each time.
  • Once you've made and sold your first legendary (the only real hurdle) you can also start to turn a good profit (albeit irregularly) by flipping them on the TP - actually, I'd recommend making and selling two before you start to try this.
  • Also, if you're planning on 'making to sell' long-term, always try to use some of the gold from each sale to immediately post a buy order for your next precursor.
  • Once you've made and sold a few (so that you have plenty of gold to throw at things), you can then pretty much pick and choose the ones you'd like to buy-to-keep or make-to-keep, while maintaining a healthy working capital.

If you've slogged your guts out to make your first ever legendary, and if it's taken you as long as it took me to make my first, I would definitely recommend selling it with the plan to buy one that you want at a (possibly much) later date, once you've made and sold a few more; I faced this dilemma in February, and since then I've made and sold 5; now I have plenty of gold and I can pretty much choose what I want to do/buy next. I'm also able to invest in Aurora, for example, and to buy gems for gold for things from the Gem Store. I'd never have been able to do that if I'd kept my first legendary; I'd have been back at square one.

You do, however, need a lot of patience. I can't stress that enough.

Good luck!~TG

Archived